1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, the dreaded locater pin. Who ever heard of such nonsense. No other handlebar I have ever been exposed to in my 45 years of riding had such a thing. Nice corporate move to ensure that you buy bars from Indian. I am planning on having the pin hole drilled into my new bars which I recently purchased.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it’s just the color, paint it? This also ensures you don’t have to drill holes for the locator pins...

Not a matter of color, but the right color. All the things added to the bike are red anodized, That is the theme I have gone with.

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
Yes, the dreaded locater pin. Who ever heard of such nonsense. No other handlebar I have ever been exposed to in my 45 years of riding had such a thing. Nice corporate move to ensure that you buy bars from Indian. I am planning on having the pin hole drilled into my new bars which I recently purchased.
Very incorrect. Every street bike I’ve owned over the past 10 years had them on the bars for the controls. It’s so they don’t spin, since you can’t tighten down the plastic too much.

It’s easy to drill the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe me drilling the holes is not a problem. I have also determined that the FTR bars are 800 mm.
asking again if anyone knows if there is an off the rack configuration of these bars, or the rise specs??

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Why not contact Pro Taper and see what they have for you? May have a predrilled set to just bolt on. At least they could give you a part number to buy from one of their dealers.

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
Part number is on the bar in the middle under the gauge. They are just a fat bar. But I’m sure they make gold ones. So the first part of the number is usually the bar/bend. The last is the color.

I’m going to get their gold flat bars eventually.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not contact Pro Taper and see what they have for you? May have a predrilled set to just bolt on.
CC
Thanks I will do that, but I have already been to the Pro Taper site, much more expensive, although I do not understand that!

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
BS,

in my 40 years or riding, nearly every bike had them... Japanese, Italian, German...

·
Read Only
636 Posts
CC
Thanks I will do that, but I have already been to the Pro Taper site, much more expensive, although I do not understand that!
They sell all their products at retail cost to the consumer. That's why I suggested you get a part number from them on the correct handlebar you want, then you can google (or whatever) to find a better price searching the net.

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
Very incorrect. Every street bike I’ve owned over the past 10 years had them on the bars for the controls. It’s so they don’t spin, since you can’t tighten down the plastic too much.

It’s easy to drill the holes.

I'd say the same except I don't even know of a bike I've had from bikes of the 70s till now that does NOT have location holes..

·
Diamond member
9,068 Posts
It's just a hole brother.. drill it and kill it..
Never not had holes in my bars, and never DIDNT have to drill holes for the right fit..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just received an email from Pro Taper. Asking if my FTR has the 1 1/8 bars, because some do not.

To say the least I find that an ill omen!!!!! I am pretty sure they all have the 1 1/8 bars, but I could be wrong!!!!

I am going to measure when I get home!

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
Yes. They are considered “fat bars” as the centers are fat and the edges are 7/8ths.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

Apologies for dragging up an older thread but did anyone ever find out the dimensions/specs for the stock handlebars?

I know ferraiolo1 (great looking bike) has changed to the Rizoma MA011 which have a 15mm height and I’d also like to go with lower bars but don’t really want to lose the width... Rizomas being slightly narrower than stock and also wondering if 15mm height is a bit too extreme for me.

At the moment, I’ve got the Rizomas at the dealer waiting for his mechanic to return from holiday on Tuesday but second guessing that now and so if I’m going to switch I need to decide fairly swiftly.

I’m wondering if a better option for me might be Pro Taper Evo: Carmichael or Steering Damper Low if I can find it because these seem to be out of stock.

Another option is the new Renthal 36 bars in 934 bend but would also need 36mm clamps and I’ve no idea what clamps would fit the FTR or if the 934 bars are any lower than stock. The overall height of the 934 bend for comparison purposes is 85mm.

So hopefully someone can confirm the overall height of stock bars and advise on which of the Renthal 36mm clamps would fit the FTR.

Thanks in advance
Adrian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ordered different style bars and discovered the stock bars are not the same dimension at the grips as the middle mounting point. Smdh gotta buy new controls if I want to use bars I bought...gotdamnIit I am disappointed. I will chalk it up to being a newbie.

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
You didn’t buy oversized bars?

There’s typically two sizes: 7/8” (normal) and 1 1/8” (oversized).

send them back, get the right size. (1 1/8”)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Treading lightly here since my previous roasting. Does the 7/8 vs 1 1/8 not just relate to the clamping area? Are not all bar ends the same diameter?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts