Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did about 550 miles this weekend with the old lady and we both decided that the seat is the next thing to go. I’ve been looking into alligator bobs pro pad but now second guessing after looking at great reviews for the ultimate.

Was looking for a little light from both sides, I’ve read a lot of good things about the ultimate but not a huge fan of the flip on the passenger seat. I’ve heard a few good things about the pro pad but not a lot of info that I could find. My tail bone is what takes the brunt of it and the plus side with the pro pad is having that removed in the seat.

Would like to hear from some of you guys that have either or, or have tried both (maybe a long shot).

·
Rider
1,138 Posts
I, like you am having tail bone issues. I'm 6' 3' and 235 lbs. I feel I am being pushed too hard into the back of my seat. I ordered an Ultimate Tall Boy last week, and it says 3 to 4 weeks delivery. The plant is closed down at the present time because of the virus. (Toronto Canada).

I also bought an Air Hawk pad, but have not given it a good ride. Might even use it on the Ultimate if we take off for more than a couple days. I think it is because my knees are too high, and sitting on the back end of my bum,(tailbone) need to sit more upright/forward. I never had this problem with years on my Goldwing, which my feet were more underneath me

On the OEM seat, I'm good for 2 or 300 miles, but not for day after day. I went on a 10 day trip last summer to Mount Rushmore, Riding about 400 miles per day, and was in pain the last few days.

I was planning the same trip this summer for the Sturgis Rally, but not going now.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
813 Posts
The Ultimate tall boy seat is really good.
It will raise you up an inch or two (I never measured how high). A Bit cooler as well. I can ride all day. A few inches further back. Being 6'1" tall it is just perfect. (32 inch inseam).

Hopefully things open up a bit so they can get producing. This lengthy closure is tough for everyone.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I’ve found thru the last 40 yrs of touring one thing for certain. Everyone’s ass is different I’ve spent quite a bit of $$ in the beginning listening to others on what works best for them. And that gets costly having to resell seats after the fact that they don’t work for me I ride a 18 limited with factory seat. Ive run 900 mile days on it like nobody’s business I love it. My Brother rides a RM the stock seat has his ass on fire in 300 miles. He now runs a seat like mine. ive owned ultimate Corbin and Mustang. Of the 3 mustang FOR ME Mustang worked best on my Harleys. I’m just trying to say because someone swares by a seat means absolutely nothing to your ass. It’s a trial and error thing. If you can roll a 500 mile day and not as much as get up and replant you’re ass all day. You’ve probably got the seat that works FOR YOU !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just installed the ultimate seat on my 17 Springfield, it made a world of difference in comfort,wife really likes it. At first it set me up a little higher than the stock seat, but as I’m getting it broken in it seems to have settled into stock height. After 250 miles of riding on the stock seat my backside was on fire from the seat, but now no discomfort at all on such rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I have a 2016 Roadmaster and tried a different brand of gel pad. What I didn’t like with the pad:
1. It raised me up in the seat
2. pad needed to be secured which involved removing the seat to place straps to hold it on the seat, when removed the straps were still left in place to scrape/rub the side covers.

I bought the Ultimate Tall Boy Seat and couldn’t be happier! I can ride 9 hour days without any soreness. It’s a shame that Polaris couldn’t put a better Quality OEM seat on a $40.000 motorcycle! For comfort, the Ultimate seat is the best improvement you can do on your bike. I’m 6’1” with 32” inseam If that helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m 5’11 165lbs I will probably end up getting the mid rider, I do like my position on the bike. I was also looking into the Corbin dual touring. Hopefully they do open up sooner the later, I don’t know how much more I can take in this seat. After 150 miles it’s painful getting off the bike and the next day is no fun. I have lower back injury that doesn’t help at all. Mainly the tail bone is what really kills me and the numb butt of course. The ultimate is a bit cheaper then the Corbin, I’ve heard people say that the Corbin is over priced for what it is. Assuming the ultimate is better and that may be the way to go even if I have to wait a month or so. Appreciate your input guys, Decisions decisions ...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve found thru the last 40 yrs of touring one thing for certain. Everyone’s ass is different I’ve spent quite a bit of $$ in the beginning listening to others on what works best for them. And that gets costly having to resell seats after the fact that they don’t work for me I ride a 18 limited with factory seat. Ive run 900 mile days on it like nobody’s business I love it. My Brother rides a RM the stock seat has his ass on fire in 300 miles. He now runs a seat like mine. ive owned ultimate Corbin and Mustang. Of the 3 mustang FOR ME Mustang worked best on my Harleys. I’m just trying to say because someone swares by a seat means absolutely nothing to your ass. It’s a trial and error thing. If you can roll a 500 mile day and not as much as get up and replant you’re ass all day. You’ve probably got the seat that works FOR YOU !
I’m hoping I don’t have to go through multiple seats to find the one for me, I just need to get rid of the tail bone issue! Stock seat isn’t cutting it and 10k on the bike it’s only going to get worse.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Seats are like oil. If possible do what I did and find someone with the seat you’re looking for and sit on it and/or test ride it if possible. After trying Corbin, Ultimate and Mustang I found that the Mustang was the best fit for me.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Ultimate Seats offers a 14 day trial of their seats so you can try it before you buy it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm currently using an Ultimate Tallboy which solved my issues so far.. Ive used Mustang in the past, same result.. I also have (for sale) a stock seat with the Pro Pad installed.. I liked the pad, definitely gave me more miles.. But my issue was the width. There is about 3 inches difference between stock and the Ultimate or Mustang seat..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm currently using an Ultimate Tallboy which solved my issues so far.. Ive used Mustang in the past, same result.. I also have (for sale) a stock seat with the Pro Pad installed.. I liked the pad, definitely gave me more miles.. But my issue was the width. There is about 3 inches difference between stock and the Ultimate or Mustang seat..
I’m assuming 3in in width? I defiantly don’t need the width, I like the width of the stock seat. Is your stock seat black and what would you be willing to let it go for? Send me a pm if interested in selling it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I’m hoping I don’t have to go through multiple seats to find the one for me, I just need to get rid of the tail bone issue! Stock seat isn’t cutting it and 10k on the bike it’s only going to get worse.
I hope so too. I’ve bought and sold enuff seats trying to find the one. Hopefully you hit it right out of the box. I’ve gotten lucky a couple times. A couple Of my Electra Glides oem was perfect. My Vic Magnum was also excellent. And this 18 limited as well . It Does happen lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I bought my Darkhorse, the stock seat seemed like high quality, but my ass would start feeling pain after 50 miles. I then bought a mustang seat, which was much more comfortable, but longer days would still cause me pain. I then shipped my mustang seat to Mean City Cycles (North Carolina) and chose the setup I felt would work best for me. I think this was the best decision I could make, as I was allowed to lower my sitting position, and I also had them cut out a tailbone slice (pie shape) for the driver and passenger seat, and that made a huge difference! Tailor the seat for YOU and you will be in the best situation!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I bought my Darkhorse, the stock seat seemed like high quality, but my ass would start feeling pain after 50 miles. I then bought a mustang seat, which was much more comfortable, but longer days would still cause me pain. I then shipped my mustang seat to Mean City Cycles (North Carolina) and chose the setup I felt would work best for me. I think this was the best decision I could make, as I was allowed to lower my sitting position, and I also had them cut out a tailbone slice (pie shape) for the driver and passenger seat, and that made a huge difference! Tailor the seat for YOU and you will be in the best situation!
They do good work? Seems like a very fair price to have some seat work done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They do good work? Seems like a very fair price to have some seat work done.
I think their quality is very good, and they provide lots of options to suit your body type. My biker babe (wife) always complained about her tailbone hurting, but ever since we had the seat material reshaped with the tailbone cutout, she no longer has that issue. I have used them on two different bikes, and will go back to them again for future needs.

·
Bronze member
1,848 Posts

He's right everyone may be different comfort-wise. I have the Ultimate Mid Riser and like it a lot. One day when fund allows, I will send off my tan stock heated seat to Russel Day Long to compare, Until then $$$$ I am happy with the Ultimate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think their quality is very good, and they provide lots of options to suit your body type. My biker babe (wife) always complained about her tailbone hurting, but ever since we had the seat material reshaped with the tailbone cutout, she no longer has that issue. I have used them on two different bikes, and will go back to them again for future needs.
That’s good to know, I’m terrible at making decisions with all these options. Now I’m thinking Corbin Dual touring, so if someone has tthat seat I’d like to hear input on that as well. I’m not to worried about width because I’m not a big guy and butt is quite small. Probably why my tailbone takes all my weight and kills after a few miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts