Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined here a few days ago, got a 2015 RM with only 9600 miles on it just a few days ago so I am apologizing up front for all the questions I am posting. It will taper off at some point for sure. So excited to get this bike but not so excited anymore. I love everything about this bike, even the clacking except for…..

The ridiculously loud whining/whirring from the primary /clutch gears. The hotter it gets, the louder it gets. Cold, its between 1800 – 2200rpm. Hot its between 1500 to 2500rpm. The worst at 2000rpm in both cases. The first question my wife asked on her first ride was about the whine it makes. When she is asking, it’s bad. I have been riding and wrenching bikes for over 50 years including other bikes with straight cut primary gears and nothing ever compared to this whine. I have owned 4 Yamaha Royal Star Ventures that are known for clutch whine but it’s nothing like this. (Still own one of them). After an hour of riding the RM, I have had it.

Stopped at an Indian dealer service dept today. It was busy so while waiting for my turn, I talked to other customers there and we compared running bikes and they all agreed that mine was ridiculously loud. Some even said it was really bad.

Finally got my turn with one of the service people. Took care of some other stuff like recall appointments etc. Then took him outside to listen to the bike. He agreed that it was loud but that the noise was coming from the injectors. He knew I wasn’t buying it, especially when I pulled out my engine stethoscope from my saddlebag and had him listen to the primary in the approximate area the the clutch and primary gear mesh. It only took him a few seconds to agree that was where the noise was coming from. But he still insisted that it was normal.

I finally got him to let me talk to a technician. Even he said it was loud but didn’t know if anything could be done and would have to look at it. So in order to avoid the expense of them opening up the primary only to not do anything, I mentioned a change Indian made in 2018 in the primary. From 2014 to 2017, the primary drive gear is actually a primary compensator drive gear. In 2018 Indian changed things and eliminated the compensator. They went to a straight primary gear and some different adapters to accommodate the change. The clutch basket is the same alongf with the crankshaft. Upon talking to the tech, he agreed that this new setup should work on the older bikes.

So I have a couple of choices now.

1) Wait for the new title I applied for to come in and so I can put a For Sale tag on it.

2) Invest a few bucks into the 2018 setup and hope that the parts fit right and cures this noise.

Somebody out there has had to have the same issue I’m experiencing and either found a solution or gave up. The only advice I got on FB was to get louder pipes (at our age, loud pipes is a non starter) or turn up the radio. (That works when I am solo, but riding 2up)

I apologize for sounding so frustrated and dissappointed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just joined here a few days ago, got a 2015 RM with only 9600 miles on it just a few days ago so I am apologizing up front for all the questions I am posting. It will taper off at some point for sure. So excited to get this bike but not so excited anymore. I love everything about this bike, even the clacking except for…..

The ridiculously loud whining/whirring from the primary /clutch gears. The hotter it gets, the louder it gets. Cold, its between 1800 – 2200rpm. Hot its between 1500 to 2500rpm. The worst at 2000rpm in both cases. The first question my wife asked on her first ride was about the whine it makes. When she is asking, it’s bad. I have been riding and wrenching bikes for over 50 years including other bikes with straight cut primary gears and nothing ever compared to this whine. I have owned 4 Yamaha Royal Star Ventures that are known for clutch whine but it’s nothing like this. (Still own one of them). After an hour of riding the RM, I have had it.

Stopped at an Indian dealer service dept today. It was busy so while waiting for my turn, I talked to other customers there and we compared running bikes and they all agreed that mine was ridiculously loud. Some even said it was really bad.

Finally got my turn with one of the service people. Took care of some other stuff like recall appointments etc. Then took him outside to listen to the bike. He agreed that it was loud but that the noise was coming from the injectors. He knew I wasn’t buying it, especially when I pulled out my engine stethoscope from my saddlebag and had him listen to the primary in the approximate area the the clutch and primary gear mesh. It only took him a few seconds to agree that was where the noise was coming from. But he still insisted that it was normal.

I finally got him to let me talk to a technician. Even he said it was loud but didn’t know if anything could be done and would have to look at it. So in order to avoid the expense of them opening up the primary only to not do anything, I mentioned a change Indian made in 2018 in the primary. From 2014 to 2017, the primary drive gear is actually a primary compensator drive gear. In 2018 Indian changed things and eliminated the compensator. They went to a straight primary gear and some different adapters to accommodate the change. The clutch basket is the same alongf with the crankshaft. Upon talking to the tech, he agreed that this new setup should work on the older bikes.

So I have a couple of choices now.

1) Wait for the new title I applied for to come in and so I can put a For Sale tag on it.

2) Invest a few bucks into the 2018 setup and hope that the parts fit right and cures this noise.

Somebody out there has had to have the same issue I’m experiencing and either found a solution or gave up. The only advice I got on FB was to get louder pipes (at our age, loud pipes is a non starter) or turn up the radio. (That works when I am solo, but riding 2up)

I apologize for sounding so frustrated and dissappointed.
I have a similar noise. They've never figured it out. Doesn't bother me enough. I am due for a new belt at my 40K service and wondering if that will cure it. If not... well, I'm not getting a new bike until I turn 70. Fortunately... it's not THAT far away. They'll have a touring version of the Challenger by then.:):):)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,385 Posts
Either trade it for a quieter model of any brand or just put up with it and maybe wear ear plugs. Do some demo riding first before you trade if that's what do decide to do.

·
Bronze member
1,242 Posts
Hmmmm... my '16 Roadmaster doesn't have the whine. And they all have straight cut primary gears. I wonder if it's a tolerance issue, with your gears being a couple thousandths of an inch in tighter contact? But without major disasembly and very good machine shop measuring tools, that would be difficult to determine.

·
Silver member
5,101 Posts
The gears are straight cut 1-2, then helical 2-6.

My 2017 doesn't have the whirring, but it did take me some time to get used the how noisy the entire engine is. MIne doesn't clack either.

Does the bike have any performance modifications?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wound up going back today to the dealer I bought the RM from. I had a good conversation with the owner. Since it was an all cash deal, he agreed to refund my money minus the processing fee. I couldn't be happier in one way but sad in another. I have always wanted a Roadmaster since they came out and finally found one that I could afford only to have this annoying problem.
Oh well, I will just sit on the money until I find another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts