Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ran into an issue removing my primary cover on my 2018 Roadmaster just now. Everything is apart and all bolts out and the cover separated easily but won't pull off. It's like it's attached inside on a spring or something and won't pull off. If I rotate the clutch shaft coming out of the primary cover, it pulls the cover on or let's it loose a little. How do I get it all the way off? Just don't want to break anything. I'm headed to Arizona in 2 days and finally upgrading to my Barnett extra clutch kit. I've done this on other bikes but haven't had one feel like it's attached like this one. Do I just pull harder? Thanks for anyone that can help.

·
Rider
972 Posts
According to the Service Manual you have to remove the clutch arm and then the cable from the cable boss that is held in with the E clip.

PRIMARY COVER REMOVAL
1. Place motorcycle in an upright position with the
front wheel clamped in a wheel vise.
2. Drain oil from engine. See Engine Oil / Filter
Change, page 2.9.
3. Remove LH floorboard and shift linkage as an
assembly. See Floorboard (Driver), Removal, page
4. Remove clutch arm fastener q and remove clutch
arm from shaft.

5. Release the clutch cable end from the clutch arm.
6. Remove the external snap ring w from the clutch
cable and withdraw from the mounting boss.

7. Remove primary cover fasteners e.

8. Tap cover with a soft face mallet to loosen.
9. Pull primary cover outward evenly at front and
rear of cover to remove.
10. Remove the shim r from the end of the shift shaft
noting position for reassembly

Do you have a Service Manual? There is a free PDF version somewhere on this site.

Good Luck!

·
Rider
972 Posts
P.S. For the above post for some reason when I copied and pasted the circled numbers from the manual came out as lowercase letters like q, w and e. Those are numbers 1,2 and 3. Same format could not paste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts