Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we are traveling, I like to visit Indian dealerships to see the differences along with whats new. A couple of weeks back we visited a dealership in Texas that caught my attention (not in a good way). I was looking through their apparel and accessories and noticed a few items I had already purchased......EXCEPT....for one glaring item. They had priced almost all of their items 25% above Indian's cost (website, non discounted items). I checked numerous items and noticed it was that way on all that I checked. One of the sales people asked me if I was interested and I mentioned that most of the items were to high and they told me that they would take an extra 10 to 20 percent off of most of the items because they had just gotten a new GM. I did not bother checking the prices of their bikes because honestly I was in a small state of shock and just wanted to leave.

Going to have to admit I was a but taken back as this was the first time I had seen this done by a dealership. A bit disappointing not only for me but I would guess most new customers who are thinking about the Indian brand and encountering this as their first experience and possibly their last. Prior to my buying Indian I had bought Harley apparel (even though I rode a Yamaha for over 18 years and never owned a Harley) because it held up during my travels in my job for long periods of time and the expense was worth it. Once I bought an Indian and wore out my HD shirts I changed them all to Indian and found them to be as good of quality or better than the HD ones I wore and about the same cost. However this dealership with their 25% markup is just an embarrassment to the brand.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was buying all my parts and clothing online though Indian's official website but I have been getting a lot of errors (duplicate orders) on their website so asked the dealer in Nashville, TN if I could but this stuff though him. He said I could and would give me a 10% discount off of the Indian's websites official price if I started buying direct from his store. Price gouging will end repeat customers buying at stores like that one.......

Tim

·
Registered
415 Posts
It pays to shop around.

I find many items to cost more than I'd reasonably expect. A little looking around will usually find better deals.

Accessories are one thing, bikes are certainly negotiable. My local dealer did me right on my Chief Vintage purchase.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure all Indian dealers are supposed to adhere to standardized pricing. You could report them.
I thought that also but found out it is not something that can be reported. I am not sure about Indian but many other dealers are restricted on their advertised prices (not the prices you might negotiate with them). This is one of the first that I have seen increased prices instead of lowered prices.

·
Silver member
4,932 Posts
Never went in real big for the MC corp branded items. 45ish years of riding Harleys and have just a hand full of HD branded shirts, those were birthday and or Christmas gifts. I do have a nice leather Indian brand leather jacket though. I bought it from the parts for sale forum from a site member. I don't mind paying retail for something I really want but I steer clear of dealer price gouging. Stealers have no shame LOL.

·
German Rider
1,780 Posts
Got a lot of shirts, vest and jackets.
For none of them, I paid the price the dealer or indian online would like to see.
A lot of things bought nearly new or worn once from other indian riders in germany, Ebay or bought personally at different dealerships in the USA AFTER discussing about their prize like being on a Bazar.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
768 Posts
Hey Revrent, what dealership in TX did you visit? PM, if you don't want to post. I live in TX and would like to know so that I can avoid visiting this dealership in the future.

·
Rider
986 Posts
WOW! like Indian stuff isn't already expensive and the dealer thought "Let's mark it up 25% more!". "Those dumb RUBs will pay it!".

And the owner is probably like "Why don't we have any customers?". "Why isn't our merchandise selling?".

I have seen this at some dealers and have bought my bike at a different dealer because they did not want to negotiate. I haven't seen too much of a mark up on accessories or parts, but I usually buy from Indian directly or from online dealers on ebay or amazon now.

I haven't bought one Indian shirt in a dealership yet. As a matter of fact at my age I have learned that I will not pay someone premium price to market their clothes/goods for them. I usually wear plain black or grey t-shirts now. My leather jacket is a top quality no name with a CC pocket and armor in the sleeves. It cost about 300 less than a comparable NAMED jacket. Do I like the Indian name? Hell yeah! Do I want to pay them 300% more for it? Hell no!

·
Rider
986 Posts
Oh and one more thing. If you are looking for some great Indian signs and garage stuff at a really great price then head to Hobby Lobby. They have a great selection and they have them on sale at 50% off all the time.

·
Rider
421 Posts
Oh and one more thing. If you are looking for some great Indian signs and garage stuff at a really great price then head to Hobby Lobby. They have a great selection and they have them on sale at 50% off all the time.
I know someone that works at Hobby Lobby, they dont lose money on an item till it hits 90% off

·
Registered
416 Posts
I love a good deal. My Indian dealership seems to always (every time I’ve been in it) have a rack of discounted clothes. I got my really nice Indian leather jacket for 40% off. And then at a recent special event (hosted at the dealership by the local HOG), they offered 25% off any one Indian item and I got a warm weather mesh Indian jacket. Gotta be ready for summer!

One thing I really want is to make sure my dealership stays afloat. It’s a win-win. They get to run a business and make some money doing it, and I get to have a dealer 30 miles from me instead of 100 miles away. I’ve seen the demise of local camera shops and bookstores. Both the big ones and the mom-and- pop ones. It’s great having the pricing the internet offers and it’s convenient and the selection is amazing. But IMHO you can’t beat having a store where you can go in and touch and/or try on and/or chat with real people face-to-face. So I'm always going to give my (small) Indian dealership first crack when I’m buying something they carry. I want them to stick around!

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I’ve got a shit load of free Yamaha and Honda shirts I’ll trade in on an over priced free Indian shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would talk to customers and they would admit to running to the store and buying a shirt just before coming in and trading it off. We also had plenty that still had tags on them. Seen upwards of $30 tags on their traded shirts. The Indian ones I would imagine are equivalent to a $5-$15 tee.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts