Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
NOTE FROM HINK: This thread is almost impossible to extricate from politics. We have had one member banned for repeatedly violating this principle in this thread, and warning points handed out for personal attacks by others. If you cannot avoid politics or personal attacks, stay out of this thread.
———————————————————————+——-++

Here's a great video showing the bias of news reporters agendas on this issue. This works both ways BTW.

Your a few's years behind there aren't you. Obrother has been out of office for almost 6 years. Oh and Angela Davis is a idiot!

·
Bronze member
1,768 Posts
Alaska and 2 in the Gulf of Mexico.
Yup. These were leases held by oil companies for YEARS and chose to not do anything with them, so they were canceled. Much like an additional 8K leases that are held without any activity. It truly amazes me that people are quick to blame politicians, when in this case, it's all about the oil companies. FOLLOW THE MONEY! For frame of reference, Oil is currently around $105 bbl with an average price per gallon of $4.18. Last time it was the same price per barrel was June of 2014 and gas was $3.65. Hmmm, I wonder where that extra money is going?

Additionally, the former guy pleaded with OPEC to cut production at the beginning of the pandemic to stabilize prices and address concerns of storage. OPEC has yet to increase their production level back to April 2020 levels. In fact, it's still short by over 2M barrels a day. Meanwhile, US oil production has been around the average (11.5M barrels per day) for the last 5 years. so, tell me again how politics is messing with the price of gas?

·
Registered
2022 Indian Chief Dark Horse - Jade
184 Posts
Hey Dave, doesn’t the UK have fees add to the fuel cost to cover things like health care? I thought I read that somewhere. The taxes on fuel here is supposed to be for road repairs. I doubt that really happens though.
Hello. Each litre of fuel that we are charged in the UK is around £1.75 per litre. There is a Government fixed tax of around £0.59p then plus the 20% VAT (value added tax on top) on top of the £0.59p included in the price per litre. This is revenue that goes back to the government to support various projects. Every Car or Motorbike will have a Road Tax charge that we pay annually. The cost will vary due to Engine size and CO2. This can be expensive.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,547 Posts
Yup. These were leases held by oil companies for YEARS and chose to not do anything with them, so they were canceled. Much like an additional 8K leases that are held without any activity. It truly amazes me that people are quick to blame politicians, when in this case, it's all about the oil companies. FOLLOW THE MONEY! For frame of reference, Oil is currently around $105 bbl with an average price per gallon of $4.18. Last time it was the same price per barrel was June of 2014 and gas was $3.65. Hmmm, I wonder where that extra money is going?

Additionally, the former guy pleaded with OPEC to cut production at the beginning of the pandemic to stabilize prices and address concerns of storage. OPEC has yet to increase their production level back to April 2020 levels. In fact, it's still short by over 2M barrels a day. Meanwhile, US oil production has been around the average (11.5M barrels per day) for the last 5 years. so, tell me again how politics is messing with the price of gas?
Here is the rub. The market should be about supply and demand. What is driving the market is speculation about demand. If this was purely about supply and demand we would be seeing lines at the gas pumps because of a shortage of gas products pushing higher prices. Has anyone here had to wait in line for gas? I most certainly have not. So what drive speculation? Many things can drive speculation. World events, economic policies, weather and yes even presidents. Speculation about energy policies, environmental impact, and economic decisions can all drive speculation about demand even though there is no actual shortage. Biden has used Ukraine and Putin over and over again as the excuse for rising prices. Yes that can effect speculation but the rub of all this is fuel prices were climbing long before the conflict in Ukraine started. Why, the government and economic policies were negative towards fossil fuels and those who produce it. Certain areas might be available but environmental concerns and regulations along with logistics to support drilling and production can easily make it unprofitable or simply not worth the risk of investment. Speculation drives these wild up and down markets. Things would be much easier to understand if this was all about supply and demand but there is much more to the bigger picture here.

I've tried to keep as much left vs right politics out of this as possible. If the moderators feel this is too political I will understand if they wish to remove it. (y) Dean

·
Bronze member
2,456 Posts
LoL, still a discount price.... actually here in f.ckin germany.....

1 liter premium is around 2.10 Euro
1 US gallon is 3.785 liter
So... 7.95 per US gallon....
Roadmaster when near empty filling up about 5 gal.

So a full tank is 39,74 US-$.

Cu,
Sven
More like California prices. The US was an oil producer two years ago.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield Crimson Red
154 Posts
Wow...What a country of whiney pissy little girls. Everybody is to blame for your troubles except you. How about just STFU and see what you can do to help. Why is this thread even still up?

·
Premium Member
'20 Challenger Limited | '17 RM Icon
79 Posts

Political or just history and current events?

Many of the lands that were leased and not being used to produce were/are that way due to this administrations anti-fossil fuel policies (lets make it as difficult as possible to produce, transport and refine). Why invest the billions in building roads and oil wells AND go through the other red tape (getting local permits and cooperation to be able to transport, build roads, pipelines, rails, etc) so you can get it to market. Especially when the words coming from the current admin make it clear that they will pull the rug out from under you at any time just to damage the fossil fuel industry that they hate - then you're stuck with a billion(s) dollar investment into something that never produced a return. I wouldn't invest in something that was not likely to provide a return on my investment. Would you? Another reason is that they weren't all ideally or practically located to produce and get product to market. Think of the channels you have on your Comcast TV plan that you will never watch. It's a bundle of crap you pay for to get the 5 or 6 channels you will watch.

"The former guy" (beginning of COVID shutdowns in 2020) asked OPEC among others, to stop producing oil because there was NO WHERE to store it. The price for a barrel of oil went negative - companies were literally paying to get rid of it. It was setting up for a huge economic domino effect. It wasn't sinister unlike what we see happening with the current administration. They are NOT doing anything (anything) to benefit this country. Passing out money to buy votes is not in the best interest of our country. Tapping the emergency oil reserves to alleviate a price at the pump is short sighted - that's not what it's there for.

Reactions: stu and AB2057

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow...What a country of whiney pissy little girls. Everybody is to blame for your troubles except you. How about just STFU and see what you can do to help. Why is this thread even still up?
Yeah... I made gas expensive, my fucking bad... now what can I do to help lower the price... right... that is about the stupidest post I've seen in a while.

·
Premium Member
'20 Challenger Limited | '17 RM Icon
79 Posts
Its an interesting thread. Its interesting to hear about fuel prices/woes in other countries Its interesting to learn how other people are adjusting/or not to cope. Its interesting to learn others perspectives - even when I think they are full of it. Its interesting to hear thoughts on how we got here and why. It's interesting to hear direct from individuals and how it compares to what I read and hear in the news outlets.

I'm glad this thread is still here...though a little surprised since it definitely has taken a pejorative, political turn.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,547 Posts
Its an interesting thread. Its interesting to hear about fuel prices/woes in other countries Its interesting to learn how other people are adjusting/or not to cope. Its interesting to learn others perspectives - even when I think they are full of it. Its interesting to hear thoughts on how we got here and why. It's interesting to hear direct from individuals and how it compares to what I read and hear in the news outlets.

I'm glad this thread is still here...though a little surprised since it definitely has taken a pejorative, political turn.
It is inevitable. One side wants to blame the other and so on. Biggest problem we have is the media that wants to push an agenda. There us no professionalism in journalism any more. Those who know better and look at the big picture can understand why this is happening. Like most things these days politics get in the way and lead to more decisiveness. What makes me worry more than ever is looking at young people these days and trying to start a family. I don’t know how they do it! There is enough stress these days without adding these issues to their lives! Dean

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jus curious, what was regular gas selling for in New Zealand per Covid? In mid to late 2019 it was selling for about $2.30 per gallon in Delaware. In mid 2020 it was selling for about $1.60. Very low demand at that time.

2019 avg prices where $7.91 per US Gal for regular and $8.50 per US Gal for premium
2015-2017 there was a small drop, but has been very similar price 2013 until earlier this year 2022

Thanks

·
Banned
504 Posts
Depends on how they figure you would do it.
Adults acting as children because they don't like an opposing view. These threads typically get shut down here right after and opposing view shows up but not before a mass of older folk get their mirrored political views out.

Cancel culture

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Rogue (Black Metallic ABS))
27 Posts
Hmm, lets see...
  • Millions more driving with a return to onsite work (Demand up)
  • Air travel back at 2019 levels (Demand up)
  • Production still decreased from 2020 and 2021 (Supply down from 2019)
  • A war in Ukraine
  • Oil companies making record profits last year and 1st quarter of this year
But sure, there are likely more reasons to point to that will fit people's agenda.
Well said

61 - 80 of 198 Posts