Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just joined this Forum. I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world and very new to baggers. But I have decided I want to ad a touring/bagger to my collection. I want to start taking longer rides with my wife and can't do that on my current bikes. I was looking at the Goldwing, the bmw 1600, the Harley Roadglide and the indian chieftan and challenger. I went and saw the challenger at my local dealership and fell in love with the Challenger dark horse in smoke white. I also went and saw the Harly but was not impressed plus I already have a harly and the wife is not a fan of harleys. Looking for advice if people have compared or had the goldwing or bmw? Any other buying tips or things to look out for and or must haves on the challenger? I'm thinking about also getting the touring pack. How is the ride comfort on the Challenger?

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
You might be able to haggle a little, but the Challenger seems to be selling well and production is likely down some due to Covid, which equates to a shorter supply right now...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had a 2013 Honda Goldwing F6B for 6 Years. Loved that bike. But they are completely Different than the 2018 Wings. Rode one and did not like the riding position. Got suckered in to buying an 18 BMW K1600B and traded the F6B. Regretted that immediately. Rode the BMW for 6k miles and was looking at the Chieftain then came across the Challenger. Test ride one as soon as my local dealer got one in. Had them order a base model immediately. The BMW was superior in most ever way to every other motorcycle i have owned (38) except comfort (riding position) and believe it or not it was so boring. After 20-30 minutes i was just board. Now the Challenger when i go for a short ride it’s usually 2 hours. It is the perfect combination of comfort, handling and just what a motorcycle is supposed to feel and sound like. It awakens all my senses. Its the only v twin i have ridden that has the rumble of a twin the power of a goldwing as well as the handling to match. And neither of my previous bikes can match the rear suspension.
Picked mine up 11/23/19.
to date i have 8,200 miles. Best MC I have ever owned hands down!

My Advice would be ride them all then decide which Challenger color you love and buy it. I wish had purchased the Red Limited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You seemed to indicate that you "looked" at these bikes, so I will tell you that you definitely need to test ride them for your self, in order in order to truly know which one is for you. I have ridden a Chief Dark Horse for the past 4 years and have really enjoyed it. I decided I was ready for a true bagger/touring bike and it came down to the HD Road Glide and the Challenger. I really liked the look of the Road Glide and test rode the 114 engine, which was very impressive. The one thing I noticed right away, was that I felt confined in my riding position, as the handle bars and floor boards are closer to your sitting position. The handlebars can be changed out to help your arms move and stretch forward for a good fit, but the floor boards could not be adjusted or relocated. I am not a tall person at 5'8" and I felt somewhat cramped. Not terrible, but certainly noticeable. I cannot imagine riding that bike if you are over 6' tall.

After spending a couple of hours at the HD dealer, I went down the street to the Indian dealership. When looking at the Challenger, it is certainly a sharp looking bike. In my opinion, however, I think HD has a better fit and finish on the Road Glide models. I also think there are more color choices with HD. With that said, I test rode the Challenger and was blown away by the balance of the bike and the performance of the motor! The HD 114 is a very good motor, but the Challenger 108 is definitely superior. I also like that it is fully liquid cooled, while the HD 114 is only partial. Hands down...the new 108 is a better performer. There is more room to stretch out on the Indian, which I am accustomed to on my Dark Horse. The ease of riding and the playfulness of the Challenger made my choice a rather easy one. I even went back to the HD dealer to test ride the RG again, as I was really interested in the HD, but the Challenger would not leave my mind. The HD dealer threw every incentive at me and wheeled and dealed better than the Indian dealer (I had a really good deal on the table), but I just could NOT choose the RG over the Challenger.

Again, you need to test ride every brand and model you THINK interests you, to truly know what is right for you. With that said, I am riding my Dark Horse to the Indian Dealership this afternoon, to trade-in for a Ruby Metallic Challenger Limited. I contacted 3 dealerships and made them compete with each other to get the best deal and (best fit for me) dealership to work with for my future needs. The demand is strong for the Challenger this summer, but you can get the dealerships to reduce freight and setup charges, and throw in other incentives to make it a better deal for you. Good luck in your search, and ENJOY the process of buying your first bagger!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, If you want a deal on a challenger, you are going to have to wait. I got my dealer to throw in a sissy bar, and the 1st service for free. They were not budging. The bike was too nice not to pass up, I I dropped my money on the table and walked out with the bike. So far, I have not been disappointed at all in my decision. I'm looking forward to every ride with this bad boy.

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
And don't forget that the Manufacturer is offering a $750.00 credit towards the purchase of a new heavyweight Indian cruiser. Not sure if you need to be an existing Indian bike owner, but it's no money out of the dealership; those funds come from Polaris. There are a few "quite, non publicized" dealer incentives out there.......so don't be shy in asking. No dealer wants to lose a sale and I think Polaris has given a lot a latitude to their dealers to move these bikes and get as MANY as possible on the road for the motorcycle world to see, hear and experience. It's a great all purpose, go-fast, great handling touring bike. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for all the information. I went to my local dealer last night where I buy a lot of bikes and learned they will be getting the Indian Franchise on July 1st so I put a deposit down on a Smoke White Dark Horse Challenger. I am so excited and can't wait to get the bike. The dealer gave me $1000 off. I think that was a great discount after doing some research and talking to other dealers. I'm happy with the discount. I will ask him about the $750 credit. I am contiplating if I should ad the tour collection to the bike before I pick it up or just buy the individual stuff I really need? Any thoughts on that? I see the tour collection has a lot of good things in it that I would need. I did sit on the stock seat and the long reach seat and I definetly need the long reach with my height being 6'2. I also want the highway bars and the backrest for the wife. The audio system speakers in the baggs is also a nice add in the package.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Veterans and front line workers also receive a $750 credit, and there is a referral program that gets you an extra $250, and then when you get your code you can get another $500 if two people use your code.

·
Bronze member
1,507 Posts
KHurram, ditch the audio system in the saddle bags....just go with the upgraded fairing speakers.....that will give you more than enough sound and at the same time keep a few dollars in your checkbook. Backrest for both rider and passenger are comfort features. Can't give you any input on tourpack, as I can get ALL of what I want/need in my saddle bags and passenger seat mounted travel bag. I don't ride with a passenger.....for a number of reasons, most of them being safety related. I think you did good with a $1,000.00 discount off MSRP....ask for the $750.00 credit, which comes directly from Polaris....and I think you'll find yourself with a solid deal. Send pics once you pull the trigger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts