Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting a pair of precription riding glasses. I'm riding behind a windshield with an open face 3/4 helmet. I wear progressive ground bifocals and would like a good pair of riding glassses that can be ground with my prescription. I was also thinking of just getting a pair of goggles, but I've never worn them before, and I don't know if they have a fogging issue or not.

What are you folks who wear glasses wearing when you ride?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not Cheap but the Best Out There IMHO ...

http://www.safevision.net/prescription-glasses/17-blink.html

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at Wyley X... They are not that cheep but they are sturdy and reliable... they come with a Foam insert that you can remove to seal more air...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18672 said:
Look at Wyley X... They are not that cheep but they are sturdy and reliable... they come with a Foam insert that you can remove to seal more air...
agree on Wiley X, i have prescription glasses I use for work, and occasionaly use on my bike, thinking about getting a second pair for biking, mine have transition lens, which has the bonus that you can wear them at night and still see well, they darken in sunlight, and are clear at night, and mine also have the foam insert which you can easily remove if you don't like it Mine are the XL-1 model

https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=173&ProductLine=285,XL1&ItemCode=291*

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now use a local eye doctor, but I've used SportRX several times. Just ask for Gabby and tell her Brian Lawrence from Massachusetts sent you.

You can choose some styles and they will send non script to you to test out. I used 7Eye with the removable foam liners that are washable. Many high quality eye docs carry these now. I have the polarized, amber tinted photogray. They work well for DAY and NIGHT.
I used to have DAY and NIGHT pairs. Now one does it all...............

Feel free to PM me for more details or post back here.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use WileyX. i did have to have my lenses redone by them initialy. Due to the curvature of their lense and the strength of my perscrition. They did it. I dont have the bifocal portion though. works for me.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking into prescription riding glasses myself. I keep coming back to 7eye. For a single lens (no bifocals) with a photochromatic tint, it looks like the total cost is just under $200 but that seems a little low compared to others.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two pair of Torque2 goggles by Liberty Sport. Although neither one is prescription, you can get them that way. I have transition lens in one pair (cuts down on carrying two pair of goggles if I'm riding all day and into the night) and a pair of mirrored lenses. none of it is cheap, but I love them. Here's a link to a website that carries them.
http://sunglasses.go-optic.com/store/sunglasses/details.asp?id=11491&r=gf&gclid=CIqElq6-5boCFYgWMgod034Aeg

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
11614 said:
http://sunglasses.go-optic.com/store/sunglasses/details.asp?id=11491&r=gf&gclid=CIqElq6-5boCFYgWMgod034Aeg
Working link

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i picked up some side shields from my eye docs bargain bin for 5 bucks to clip onto my prescription glasses and that seems to help quite a bit. it will suffice til i break down and buy some real riding shades.
gettin old and the cheaters just were'nt cuttin it anymore.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody for your responses. There are some very good ideas there. I think I might go with the goggles that go over my glasses for now, and look into some prescription glasses for a more long term solution. The Wiley-X glasses look very good, and so do the Bobsters.

My Vintage gets delivered today! I hope it doesn't rain so I can take on a long shake down cruise. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to steal this thread, but what do you do in a full-face and 3/4 helmet with prescription progressive lense glasses. I have taken foam out of the ear pieces so that I can put my glasses on. I almost always use a face shield since a big bug squished on my glasses when using only a visor. What a mess. Also when at high speed there is some helmet buffeting that occurs and my glasses are also buffeting, more so when just the visor is being used. Anyone have any suggestions for that. I may have to remove a little bit more foam.
Great thread by the way.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wear Oakley Straight Jackets which offers a nice wrap around toward your temple. My normal glasses have progressive bifocals in them however, I got the Oakley's without the bifocal. My optician put my prescription into shatter-proof lenses, which I know they work, as I've already had a stone or smoething hard hit the lens with nothing more than a knick. They are transition is well, so when everyone else is swithcing to clears, I just keep mine on. Oh, no fogging issues also.
Oakley also makes goggles with a strap and a foam rim that can be turned into script lenses.
You have a lot of choices out there but, for me, I've been happy with the Oakleys.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought my prescription glasses from this site. http://riderseye.com/
They allow you to order several different types of frames try them out for a short period then send them back and have the prescription put into the ones that work best for you. Real life trial vs fitting them in a store and then deciding you don't like them in the wind. I had no issues with the returns and they work great.

Boomer

1 - 20 of 37 Posts