Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have installed Progressive springs in my 2017 Sixty. The rear shocks have progressively wound springs. I think the improved rear shocks came out on the 2017 Scouts. I initially installed Kuryakin rear sets but couldn't ride very far before my knees were hurting being at such extreme bend. I then switched to mini board which allowed me to move my feet around a little bit. The biggest improvement was being able to stand up a bit when I saw large bumps in the road or crossing railroad tracks. Now that I have the 1920 solo saddle I have enough leg room to put the rear sets on again. After 3 yrs. I still couldn't get used to feet forward position. Now I can stand up on the pegs on rough roads and deep gravel. My only complaint is sliding around on the smooth leather of the seat and it could use a little more foam. I will take the seat to a local shop next winter and get it upholstered in a less slippery material and have better foam installed. The bike fits me now the way I like. To me, new fork springs are the biggest improvement.

·
Registered
111 Posts
have a Mustang solo seat W/backrest.
Working with Mustang now and close to placing my order.
is the backrest insert/port on solo worth the additional $200??
I have never road more than 2hrs.
I am already paying to have it customized ( $100 extra) to have diamond stitching on my scout so looks more like the bobber seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For me riding position means a lot. I personally don’t think the scout is designed for large riders. I am 5’6” weighing 145 lbs with a 29” inseam. I have a wind screen, mini apes, and floor boards with a stock seat and shocks adjusted to my weight. I can ride all day on the scout but it is not nor can it be made to ride as comfortably as my touring bike.
If I had a bad back and planned to ride a lot I would not choose a scout.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You don’t need glass smooth pavement, just adjust the OEM shocks. I ride over horrible mountain roads all the time in my ‘17.

It could be better, but it’s not painful.

If your back is bad, though, maybe a cushier bike like a Chief is more appropriate. They’re easy to ride.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,153 Posts
Having come from a Chieftain to a Scout I can vouch that it's not as cushy a ride, especially over rough pavement. I am 5 foot eleven and 220 pounds and have modded mine for comfort with the extended reach foot control kit and the Indian floorboards. Also went with the 10 inch mini apes handlebars and a Corbin Solo seat. A National Cycle 2-up Switchblade windshield keeps the bugs & wind blast at bay while allowing me to see over the top. Indian saddlebags and rear luggage rack for carrying stuff with TAB Longs slip-on mufflers for the rumble.

·
Rider
427 Posts
Working with Mustang now and close to placing my order.
is the backrest insert/port on solo worth the additional $200??
I have never road more than 2hrs.
I am already paying to have it customized ( $100 extra) to have diamond stitching on my scout so looks more like the bobber seat.
I have the Mustang seat and backrest (never use it) on my '17. The Mustang is only OK, though definately better than OEM. My reading of other people's opinions is that I might have done better with the Corbin seat. If I had it to do again, I would spend the extra $$ and get the Corbin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The OEM Comfort Seat makes a huge difference over the crap stock one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a 2017 Scout 60. The stock suspension was a bit harsh. Even expansion joints on the highway would be a jar to my back. I put progressive springs in the forks and that pretty much fixed the front end. It also took away the warning that a hit was coming for the back. My wife’s 2018 Scout (not a 60) is hugely better. She doesn’t even notice the bumps that would hurt me. We will keep hers, but after an extremely painful hit on a road repair that left me hurting for the rest of the ride my scout 60 is gone.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts