Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those of you who have owned a Scout or other cruiser with such minimal suspension travel. How well do they ride on anything other than glass smooth pavement? Not talking major pot holes but road imperfections common to my area and common in places that get cold snowy weather. I have a bad back and arthritis in everything that moves and really need a bike that is lower to the ground than my Africa Twin. I look forward to swinging a leg over a bike and NOT having to gyrate around and potentially mess my back up on a day I just want to go for a ride for just the day . . .

Second question is regarding the forward pegs. I really like the idea of not having my knees at an acute angle as my knees fatigue on long days as well. I enjoy getting off the bike and walking around but the one time I had highway pegs on a V-strom 650 I REALLY liked it. I have heard that highway pegs can be bad for the back as the weight normally supported by your feet being right beneath your hip is now all on your back. I can see that if you legs were really far forward but if the pegs are forward enough but keep your spine in the proper shape I have to think it shouldn't harm anything.

Thought are appreciated.

NC

·
Registered
106 Posts
With what minimal experience I have, the peg position on the scouts are actually relatively rearward for a foot-forward cruiser. I find that a perfect match for my 33" inseam because I can still lift myself off the seat without using much arm strength.

As for the suspension, keep in mind I have the bobber. I find it's at its worst over bumps and not necessarily potholes. The fat tires on the bobber do a good enough job soaking up imperfections and crashing on potholes at speed. It's the mid-size bumps that I have a hard time with, because the suspension is stiff enough to throw you off the seat. I don't really sweat the smaller bumps/cracks much otherwise. I haven't experienced the progressive springs in this bike but I hear they do wonders.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I test rode a Scout and the suspension bothered me and I've toured with my Sportster. I would have had to change the suspension. I really like everything about the bike, except the suspension. There are ways to make it better and I'm sure some will chime in.

I bought the Chief Vintage and find the fit and ride perfect for me. I like it even better than my touring Harley.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I think the Scout is a great bike.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2020 Scout which I rode with all my HD cruiser buddies. Long trips were tough so I added better rear shocks (Fox adjustable) and a Corbin seat which helped. The ultimate improvement was to purchase a 2019 Chieftain Limited which is night and day diffidence in ride comfort.The Scout is like a hot rod that can run circles around the Chieftain (in stock form) but not comfortable on all day rides and rough roads.

Tim

·
Registered
51 Posts
I barely feel the bumps anymore since I changed tires while before it would break my back. Anyone else experienced this?

The OEM seat is not for long rides. It gets very uncomfortable after 40+ minutes without stopping. The OEM comfort seat is supposedly quite good though but I can't say for sure until on Monday when I get mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2020 Scout Sixty Bobber, I take a 30 minutes commute to work on it every once in a while and its fine both ways ... 1+ hour rides and my lower back starts to feel it ...

·
Bronze member
4,504 Posts
I bought a Scout in 2016 when i retired. After a lifetime of dirt and sport/tourer bikes I saw the new Scout and loved the look and considered it might be the bike that could get me onto a cruiser.

The suspension in those days was very bad and I swapped for custom built shocks and new fork springs as soon as I could. They were better but not a full fix. On my rough local roads it was still a problem hitting bumps. I'm in a coal mining area and the subsidence means roads are often bumpy. Newer models have better suspension.

I was considering a spring saddle, which here in Australia is expensive, but I sold the Scout and bought a Springfield instead. The Scout had my feet further forward than the Springfield, which surprised me. The Scout's pegs mean there is one position, the Springfield's boards allow movement.

If you already have arthritis affecting your spine my advice would be to test ride one in all conditions before deciding. I'd sometimes hit bumps that would make my teeth bump each other. I can't imagine your spine would benefit from that - it was thoughts of damaging my spine that got me off the Scout. A sprung saddle will give another two inches or so of movement and that might be enough to soak up the bumps, but needs to be checked out.

My previous bike to the Scout, and which I still have, is a Kawasaki Versys 650, which has my feet directly below my hips. The feet-forward position took some adjustment as I had to make sure I didn't slouch with my spine badly curved.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I barely feel the bumps anymore since I changed tires while before it would break my back. Anyone else experienced this?

The OEM seat is not for long rides. It gets very uncomfortable after 40+ minutes without stopping. The OEM comfort seat is supposedly quite good though but I can't say for sure until on Monday when I get mine.
im pretty sure plywood might be better then the stock bobber seat. when i first got mine i did 120 mile trip and felt like a boxer had been punching me in the kidneys the next day. after switching to the metzeler cruistec tires and a mother roads customs tractor seat the stock suspension really dosnt bother me anymore

·
Registered
81 Posts
I purchased my scout a couple months ago and have put about 1200 miles on it. The most I have done in one day is 350 miles. I am actually very surprised at the comfort of this bike. I hit one pot hole last weekend and bottomed out the suspension and that hurt a little but that’s been the only time. It’s no touring bike but it does pretty well. The peg position is good fo me too. Sometimes I rest my heal on the peg to stretch my legs out straight. I think if you are looking for comfort in the scout model you should stick with the scout and not the bobber. With the scout you have 3” rear travel and the bobber is 2”. You also get a little better seat and a little more forward controls.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have about 8,000 mi on my '18 Scout. I have a Mustang solo seat W/backrest. I go on 7 or 8 hour rides and never thought about the suspension. The tires have a lot of sidewall and that helps. It's a motorcycle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I purchased my scout a couple months ago and have put about 1200 miles on it. The most I have done in one day is 350 miles. I am actually very surprised at the comfort of this bike. I hit one pot hole last weekend and bottomed out the suspension and that hurt a little but that’s been the only time. It’s no touring bike but it does pretty well. The peg position is good fo me too. Sometimes I rest my heal on the peg to stretch my legs out straight. I think if you are looking for comfort in the scout model you should stick with the scout and not the bobber. With the scout you have 3” rear travel and the bobber is 2”. You also get a little better seat and a little more forward controls.
If your suspension is bottoming out,you might adjust the rear shocks some.

·
Rider
578 Posts
Buy the Fox shocks you get more adjustability not only ride height or load adjustment but also how quickly the shock moves up or down to soften or harden the ride. You can adjust the up and down travel separately.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've put approx 25,000, mostly touring miles over 6 riding seasons on my 2015 'First Run' Scout. I've had it through upstate NY a couple times, out to the coast of Maine and around Lake Superior. Plus lots of day and overnite trips.

I have never changed the suspension. According to an experienced sportbike rider, friend, who rode it a few days ago, the front end needs serious attention. He found the damping and rebound very lacking. It does need a fluid change for sure and a new seal on the left side. It will probably get new Progressive springs as well. He also found the rear shocks bottomed. But he's taller and possibly a bit heavier than me. The early reviews all said the rear shocks were of limited quality as well. I guess I'm used to it so it's my normal. I haven't got any experience with more sophisticated suspensions to compare to.

At 5-7 with a 30inch inseam, the bike physically fits me. I found the original seat so uncomfortable, that it came down to replacing the seat or the bike. After 2 seasons, I replaced it with a Mustang touring seat with a backrest. It was a marked improvement, but a 500 mile day (the longest on it) was still painful.

The seat combined with the footpeg position did not make for a comfortable long distance ride.
Two years ago, I added Indian brand floorboards. I can now move my feet around but the comfort increase is slight. The final change was Indian mini-apes.

After the ride to Maine last year, I was convinced it had to go and be replaced with a better touring bike.
The comfort level and gas capacity just aren't there for the type of riding I like to do.

But....It is a fun bike to ride. The motor is excellent. It will burble along like a lazy Vtwin all day. Want a little adrenaline rush? Push the revs past 4700 or so and hang on! As a lifelong American motorcycle fan, I think it is a very stylish and well built motorcycle. And while I could care less what others think, I got a lot of positive comments from people when it was newer.

Repair and maintenance-wise, it has had one set of Michellin replacement tires, now due again, two batteries, a new speedo when the original died from constant rain. It needs fork seals as mentioned and I'm now very suspicious of the starting and/or charging system. Still checking and testing.

As a long term keeper, I'm still on the fence. There is nowhere near the aftermarket support of HD or even some other brands and models. It is the most modern and only liquid cooled bike I've owned and as such, is far more complicated to work on and maintain. I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to EFI, ABS, computers and other complicated stuff on bikes. It has probably also reached the point of lowest resale or trade value due to age and mileage, which is another reason it's still mine.

This is just my personal experience with a Scout. YMMV. Hope this helps with your shopping.

·
Senior member / rider
913 Posts
My wife owns a Scout. She’s only 5’2” with fairly short legs. Overall the Scout fits her well, albeit with reduced reach seat and bars. After a year of riding it she decided to add floorboards. She really likes them. She can ride all day, 400, 500 miles. She says it’s very comfortable for her. She’s had no issues with suspension.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's worth noting that Indian changed the front suspension in 2016 and the rear in 2018. I may have gotten the dates wrong so someone please correct me if so. Point being that some of the early criticisms from reviewers were addressed. A 2019 or 2020 should feel a bit different.

·
Bronze member
1,742 Posts
It's worth noting that Indian changed the front suspension in 2016 and the rear in 2018. I may have gotten the dates wrong so someone please correct me if so. Point being that some of the early criticisms from reviewers were addressed. A 2019 or 2020 should feel a bit different.
Changed the front suspension in 2016?
First I've heard of that. Some 2019 and the new 2020s have cartridge forks but that is all I've ever heard about the OEM forks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Changed the front suspension in 2016?
First I've heard of that. Some 2019 and the new 2020s have cartridge forks but that is all I've ever heard about the OEM forks.
I recall a thread a while back about buying either a 2016 69 or a new 2020 60. One of the major points was the improved suspension front and back.

Also I seem to recall a bobber review on YouTube somewhere where they mentioned fixing the front suspension.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts