Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

sorry if this has been asked, did a search and couldn't see anything. I really like the Challenger and am considering upping from my Scout 60 in the summer, but if we get a liquid cooled Springfield variant I might wait for that.

Is there any info floating about more PowerPlus engine models? Does the community expect we'll be getting other models and if so do we think they'll be coming as 2021 models?

·
Vendor / bronze
2,985 Posts
I have no knowledge of this but a Springfield with the new engine sounds like a good idea. I have a 2016 Springfield. Myself and many others have little reason to trade it in. But if they put the new engine in it, I am in trouble. It seems like a good marketing idea to me. They shouldn't put the engine in a Chieftain yet. I would hurt Challenger sales. But a new Springfield would generate sales and trade ins. I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn for a long time so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Silver member
5,128 Posts
I would think they would just create a new model with that engine since it takes a different frame...

·
Rider
551 Posts
I think there will definitely be a new model for 21 but a full touring model gets the most noise here. I think a mid size softail killer would generate the most sales w/out affecting Roadmaster sales too much!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have no knowledge of this but a Springfield with the new engine sounds like a good idea. I have a 2016 Springfield. Myself and many others have little reason to trade it in. But if they put the new engine in it, I am in trouble. It seems like a good marketing idea to me. They shouldn't put the engine in a Chieftain yet. I would hurt Challenger sales. But a new Springfield would generate sales and trade ins. I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn for a long time so take it with a grain of salt.
Like the sound of that too. The only thing that could tempt me away from my 18 springfield

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think the next bike to get the Power Plus will be a tweeter, something about the size of the low rider s.
I personally would love to see it in a good basic standard bike....like my dads 71 Cb750.

·
Silver member
5,128 Posts
I think they are crazy if they don't. Put it in a 16-18K mid-size bike and it will sell like hot cakes if they can make it look cool along with the engine.

All hail the new Indian Spirit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replies guys, just to be clear by Springfield variant I suppose I really meant a Challenger without fairing, so new frame, tank etc just no fairing with normal/traditional clocks/headlight pod.

And personally I already consider the Challenger and Chieftain the same 'type' of bike with different engine and variants (and fixed fairing ofc), which leaves room for Chief, Springfield and fixed fairing Roadmaster liquid cooled variants all based off the Challenger frame/engine if they decide to go that way.

Essentially I'm interesting in moving to the Challenger but not that interested in the Ride command/stereo etc. and would prefer a front end similar to the Springfield's (although I'd hope they keep the clocks off the tank and on the riser like the Scout.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think we will see a Chief (vintage), Springfield and Roadmaster with the TS engines for nostalgia. Challenger, Chieftain, and an unfaired tourer will get the PP engine next. For now...

·
Senior member / rider
1,352 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself (again), I’m waiting/hoping for the true midsized cruiser. The 108 would be fine with me.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,831 Posts
Thanks for replies guys, just to be clear by Springfield variant I suppose I really meant a Challenger without fairing, so new frame, tank etc just no fairing with normal/traditional clocks/headlight pod.

And personally I already consider the Challenger and Chieftain the same 'type' of bike with different engine and variants (and fixed fairing ofc), which leaves room for Chief, Springfield and fixed fairing Roadmaster liquid cooled variants all based off the Challenger frame/engine if they decide to go that way.

Essentially I'm interesting in moving to the Challenger but not that interested in the Ride command/stereo etc. and would prefer a front end similar to the Springfield's (although I'd hope they keep the clocks off the tank and on the riser like the Scout.
I think it is a simple guess that the next version of the Challenger will be a full touring model. It is a no brainer. After that maybe at some point they might start looking at different models with the new engine but that would be several years down the road. For many years I was like you, did not want a fairing or a sound system on my bike. Now that I have a Roadmaster I miss the non fairing bike at times but not as often as I thought. I do like the wind control, adjustable windshield, and tunes going down the road. It maybe I am just getting older but I like the creature comforts of the fairing bikes. Dean

·
Senior member / rider
1,352 Posts
I think it is a simple guess that the next version of the Challenger will be a full touring model. It is a no brainer. After that maybe at some point they might start looking at different models with the new engine but that would be several years down the road. For many years I was like you, did not want a fairing or a sound system on my bike. Now that I have a Roadmaster I miss the non fairing bike at times but not as often as I thought. I do like the wind control, adjustable windshield, and tunes going down the road. It maybe I am just getting older but I like the creature comforts of the fairing bikes. Dean
I’m just the opposite. The older I get the less I want an 800#+ motorcycle. Don’t get me wrong, I like comfort, but I think that can look like a 700#-ish bike. Different strokes...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I’m just the opposite. The older I get the less I want an 800#+ motorcycle. Don’t get me wrong, I like comfort, but I think that can look like a 700#-ish bike. Different strokes...
I too would like a slightly smaller lighter bike but still with a fairing and hard bags. I love the wind protection, but have trouble moving around an 800lb machine when its not running. Problem is I don’t want to give up the ride or all day comfort of a touring bike. Just hoping for a perfect tweener some day, with the PP engine.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,419 Posts
Yeah that "tweener" has been a dream bike for me the last few years. 650 to 700 pounds with a wheelbase in between that of the Chief 111 bikes and the Scouts. Fuel capacity not less than four and a half gallons. I originally proposed a 90 cubic inch motor but that's not a big deal since a big bore Scout or FTR motor with 1300 or more cc could work. A PP 108 motor would be killer though.

·
Bronze member
1,615 Posts
The next variant of the WC bike will be the full-dress touring version of the challenger. They may have another variant of the WC bike, but I wouldn't expect it until 2021 or a mid-year thing (think January).

I personally think all of the TS111 bikes will stay as they are until Indian can no longer meet EPA and Euro standards for the bikes. At that time, they will have to come up with new models to keep the ball rolling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts