Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need some help with this Indian Powerband Audio in saddlebags.
We had added the saddlebag speaker upgrade and believe we followed instructions to the "T".
Including putting the smaller plug cap on the amp connector itself.
All seemed to go really well BUT,
Upon firing it up, there is no signal to either speaker in saddlebags.
The fronts play ok.
So I started checking all the connections and can't seem to find anything not fully connected or amiss.
went into the ride command and looked at the fader, nope.
Looked at the speaker configuration tab in ride command which only shows front speakers 100w and that's it, no rears.
It doesn't show the saddlebag layout so I am thinking it doesn't recognize them for whatever the reason is.
Also updated the ride command software to the latest I believe its release is Dec. 2019, still no cigar.
We have had these parts since December and am just putting them in now.
Somewhat pissed off right now because of the cost involved with this kit as you know, and it just doesn't work.
What could possibly be wrong? I am stumped right now. gotta go cool my head down.
If anyone has ran into his or has any insight to what or why could possibly be the problem I would greatly appreciate hearing anything.
Thanks

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,441 Posts
Is a flash required by the dealership ? Did you add the Power Band front speakers too ? If not that might be your problem since I believe that includes an amp upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flash from Dealer? geez dont know.
Yeah the fronts I had done already last riding season.
These have the amp upgrade.
And whats really weired about that is the old amp which we swapped out has 2 plugs large and a small one.
Both connectors large and small were connected. The smaller connector in this amp was plugged into empty hole ( no pins)
The new amp in now has the large and small connections.
This time they have you put a dummy plug in the small connector called a cap.
The smaller connection from harness still not connected. And not hangs out open. Doesnt make a bit of sense.

·
4,441 Posts
Flash from Dealer? geez dont know.
Yeah the fronts I had done already last riding season.
These have the amp upgrade.
And whats really weired about that is the old amp which we swapped out has 2 plugs large and a small one.
Both connectors large and small were connected. The smaller connector in this amp was plugged into empty hole ( no pins)
The new amp in now has the large and small connections.
This time they have you put a dummy plug in the small connector called a cap.
The smaller connection from harness still not connected. And not hangs out open. Doesnt make a bit of sense.
Sorry I was no help. Just spitballing it. That’s strange the rear speakers aren’t showing up on the fader that’s why I was asking if it needed a dealer flash. I read the instructions and it says it will automatically adjust to the new speakers when you plug them in. In cases like these it’s usually something simple. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thanks
Not a lot of people put these in themselves but spitballing is good.
I posted it because i am hoping something will shake loose.
I just hope nothing is needing replacement.

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just had a brain storm.
Went out and pulled headlight checked all conections on the complete harness and boom the thought comes after reading the install over and over.
Originally i removed the original supply on right side and put in the new one.
Now reading in install that the right side is for fairing and trunk and left side is for the saddlebag and there is nothing on left side.
I just swapped the amp on right so nothings changed.

Ding fries are done!

I will change this around. I really believe thats it.
One power supply is driving like before so nothing was changed in the signal path.
Looking at this now you need the 2nd powersupply mounted on left side.
There is also a large plug there to plug into.
The only prob now is I dont have time today to finish this up.

·
4,441 Posts
I just had a brain storm.
Went out and pulled headlight checked all conections on the complete harness and boom the thought comes after reading the install over and over.
Originally i removed the original supply on right side and put in the new one.
Now reading in install that the right side is for fairing and trunk and left side is for the saddlebag and there is nothing on left side.
I just swapped the amp on right so nothings changed.

Ding fries are done!

I will change this around. I really believe thats it.
One power supply is driving like before so nothing was changed in the signal path.
Looking at this now you need the 2nd powersupply mounted on left side.
There is also a large plug there to plug into.
The only prob now is I dont have time today to finish this up.
Keep at it you’ll figure it out !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can offer no real support as the dealer installed my power band plus before i took delivery of the bike. But I’m here for moral support! Let us know how you like it when the other 2 speakers come to life. I love mine!

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pretty confident that what I had found is the "key" to the problem.
Donny it makes me happy to hear you are happy with yours and love it.
Let me ask you this..... Does it add some bass or is it just loud?
Mine thru the fairing upgrade speakers is pretty loud and clear with tons of midrange but it still sounds like a boom box.
I am trying to improve the sound quality.
I love this forum for the support that the others give to one another.
This as a whole makes it enjoyable to bounce it off others as it was called spitballing.
I am an older fellow but today was the first I had heard the term spitballing.
Thanks all for the support.

·
4,441 Posts
Mine thru the fairing upgrade speakers is pretty loud and clear with tons of midrange but it still sounds like a boom box.
This as a whole makes it enjoyable to bounce it off others as it was called spitballing.
I used the term spitballing but my first choice was to run it up the flagpole to see if it’s wearing any panties

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok its all good. System is working well now.
What we mentioned prior is what it was.
What we originally thought was the one power supply to come out and replace with the new one turned out to be needed to be installed in other side of fairing to add to system. I must of read the install about 6 times and dont really understand my thinking but I guess after reading every single area thuroughly it clearly snapped in place.
Man its super clean envelope of sound.
I am actually liking it even though its not bone rattling bass but its bad azz.

·
4,441 Posts
Ok its all good. System is working well now.
What we mentioned prior is what it was.
What we originally thought was the one power supply to come out and replace with the new one turned out to be needed to be installed in other side of fairing to add to system. I must of read the install about 6 times and dont really understand my thinking but I guess after reading every single area thuroughly it clearly snapped in place.
Man its super clean envelope of sound.
I am actually liking it even though its not bone rattling bass but its bad azz.
Good deal I’m glad you figured it all out !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s definitely loud, but nowhere near the bass that I prefer. I’ve seen some custom bagger guys throw a 10” in one of the bags, but I can’t see myself losing bag space for it.

Last year I was riding an Octane and when I wanted music I had to zip tie my Bluetooth speaker over the speedometer. Couldn’t even tell what song was playing with the exhaust I had. This is a huge step up from that so I’m just focused on the go fast parts for now.

·
Rider
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree Donnie. After hearing it, its solid very tight sound. Not muddy and very clean.
How did they add the 10" in bag?
Can you point me to url for it?
I assuming they had to add a beefy amp so wondering how they tied the sub in?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can’t find the video, but I found this screenshot. I wish i could remember where I came across it. I believe it was a shop that puts out baggers with 26” wheels

·
Rider
531 Posts
Hey guys
I am glad I found this thread I just picked up a chieftain limited 2019 last weekend I haD dealer upgrade the front faring speakers to the powerbands although it’s definitely loud and sounds pretty good, I am now thinking of adding the rear powerband speakers but wondering if it’s worth $$$?.

I ride 2 up with my girlfriend several times a month although she says she hears the front just fine I’m thinking by adding the rear To get that full surround sound effect.

The question is, in your opinion for the money that it’ll cost upgrade to the rear (the lids, speakers etc) is it worth the investment and Will it just be louder and tinny sounding or really add more mids and lows, as well as that surround sound affect ??

I’d love to hear back before I make this $$ decision.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys
I am glad I found this thread I just picked up a chieftain limited 2019 last weekend I haD dealer upgrade the front faring speakers to the powerbands although it’s definitely loud and sounds pretty good, I am now thinking of adding the rear powerband speakers but wondering if it’s worth $$$?.

I ride 2 up with my girlfriend several times a month although she says she hears the front just fine I’m thinking by adding the rear To get that full surround sound effect.

The question is, in your opinion for the money that it’ll cost upgrade to the rear (the lids, speakers etc) is it worth the investment and Will it just be louder and tinny sounding or really add more mids and lows, as well as that surround sound affect ??

I’d love to hear back before I make this $$ decision.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
I think my 2 favorite things about the rear speakers are the looks (my bike is black with chrome accents around the speakers) and the way it echoes off buildings downtown.

Worth the $$$ is a tough question though. I’ve tried to play with the settings to get a surround sound feel and can just never pull it off. Bass levels are not what I really want, but its still a really clean sound even LOUD at 80+ mph.

I had all the speakers installed before I picked up the bike so I can’t compare it to stock. With all the sales having just ended, I would try and wait until next year when they offer big money off accessories again. Plus I would hate being without the bike this time of year.

·
Rider
531 Posts
Ahhhh didn’t realize they had them on sale, guess I’ll wait for them he next time around and maybe take a ride over to the dealer to compare sounds of speakers 2vs4..
Thanks for your reply 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 27 Posts