Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find the answer. Is there a kit to purchase so that you can convert the manual locks to power on the hard saddlebags? Looks like just a solenoid is all that is needed. Why purchase a whole set of saddlebags.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What have you got on your saddlebags at the moment?
Do you have the power locks and the looms that connect to the sockets either side?

Also you need a way of switching them.

Are you planning on using a key fob or the console mounted switch.

I have been fitting some today, but find there are two types of switch. I have the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the manual locks. I would use the switch on the tank. My fob is switchless. There seems to be a lot of unused connections around the battery.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are a couple of socket on my Classic either side of the bike behind the side panels.
Each power lock plugs into these sockets. The right hand socket is a different shape to the left. This is due to a couple more wires for the power outlet.

I don’t know if there is a kit that Indian produce. Or you might have to order the parts individually. It’s going to be expensive.

Notice the knock off panniers have powerlocks.
Perhaps look at buying a set of those, then use the powerlocks from them. Put your standard locks on the panniers you have just purchased. Then resell them?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
The bike SHOULD have the same wiring harness that is on every other Chieftain and the Roadmaster. I make this assumption due to the fact that my 2014 Chieftain had the Roadmaster heated seat plug under the seat. Plus it wouldn't make any sense to keep two different wiring harnesses due to the extra cost, especially if the assembly line put the wrong one on a Roadmaster.

Check with your dealership but at a minimum you would need to purchase the console switch and the power locks. Here is what is listed in the pars list from Indianmotorcycle.com website Indian Motorcycle

SWITCH-SADDLEBAG LOCK V2
Item #4017110
$84.99
LOCK-ELECTRONIC,SADDLEBAG
Item #4017838
$175.99

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
If you keep track of the time you have spent,
the time you will spend getting the locks and installing them
and the costs of all of that

and compare it to the time you will save with clicking the switch vs. manually locking the bags when needed

you will never in 100 years make up for the excess time spent getting the locks.

I almost never lock my bags as I use them all the time. If I had had to manually lock/unlock them each time during the last 3 years it would probably add up to 5-8 minutes.

So, you might stay manual and spend the $$ on something more useful that offers a better value for money ratio.

Anyway, just a thought.

HTH.

Reactions: Rydahog and Kaz

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
You likely need two of these, but this is your part number from Indian I believe. If the 19s are like the older bikes your harness is there, but you may need the switch for the dash too.

$141.84

LOCK-ELECTRONIC,SADDLEBAG

item: 4017838

qty: 1 @ $141.84

$65.27

SWITCH-SADDLEBAG LOCK V2

item: 4017110

qty: 1 @ $65.27

·
Bronze member
2,229 Posts
There are 2 or 3 Indian parts discounters online and this is the one with the best prices

Powersports Discount | Powersports Parts, Accessories, Apparel & Gear

I bought the cam chain tensioner and the gasket from them and they were $10+ cheaper than the others on just a small order of $80 in parts (was $65 for both items)..

Like all Indian parts suppliers, they only order stock when you place the order so there are a few days wait but I ordered some parts from the local Indian dealer on the referral card promo and it was a week wait with them too.

HTH

·
Rider
1,097 Posts
When I purchased my DH from the previous owner the bags had the locks installed but the fob did not have the two buttons on the one side nor did it have the switch on the tank. I bought the switch and it plugs directly into the wire harness under the tank cover. Lead even had a label on it stating that it was for the bag locks. I also bought the two button fob so I could lock the bags and by pushing on the lock button twice it sets the factory alarm. the right saddle bad did not have the 12v socket installed so got that as well and the wire harness had a place for that under the seat. Seems like all indians have pretty much the same wire harness across the 111 line. Noticed that my DH also has the leads under the headlight nacelle that would normally go to the 12V socket in the dash of a Chieftain or RM

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
when you tour the factory you'll see why they all have the same wiring... it just make sense.. my 18 Limited has the plug connector under the fairing for the lighted War Bonnet too...

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are a couple of socket on my Classic either side of the bike behind the side panels.
Each power lock plugs into these sockets. The right hand socket is a different shape to the left. This is due to a couple more wires for the power outlet.

I don’t know if there is a kit that Indian produce. Or you might have to order the parts individually. It’s going to be expensive.

Notice the knock off panniers have powerlocks.
Perhaps look at buying a set of those, then use the powerlocks from them. Put your standard locks on the panniers you have just purchased. Then resell them?
I was quoted about $157 to add the power switch for locking saddle bags.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was quoted about $157 to add the power switch for locking saddle bags.
was this for the switch only??? holy crap... I have the base Challenger and i'm screwed. I ride year long and the Shipayard parking lot is not the safest place on earth. I normally carry my food, and other stuff plus my rain gear. I lock my saddles bags ALL THE TIME... every time. I traded my 2018 Gl1800 for this bike and im not sorry, but I will miss tremendously the centralized locking bags and also the handlebars lock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts