Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of tech help. I'm putting 3 HID ballasts in the fairing (tight squeeze, I know) and need to know if there is a power supply robust enough to handle this already in the fairing, Or will I need to run a power hub of sorts from the primary?

Already considering the Denali Powerhub-2 Power Distribution Module, just looking for a viable alternative.
elc.00.30000_004sm.jpg

Thanks in Advance!

·
Rider
502 Posts
Just curious if there is a reason you are going with HIDs over LEDs?

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,740 Posts
There is an unused switched 12vdc power plug in the fairing on the right side.
I don't know how much current you're going to need with your lights, but that's easy to find out and then just trace the line back to the fuse block and you'll find out what's available.

·
Bronze member
1,936 Posts
Because HIDs are inefficient energy hogs I'm guessing that you'll need to run heavy gauge wiring to the battery to power the system. The power source can then be used to trigger a relay.

LEDs are more efficient, durable and less likely to damage the reflector and/or lens. I don't understand why anyone would go the route of a more complicated HID install.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Because HIDs are inefficient energy hogs I'm guessing that you'll need to run heavy gauge wiring to the battery to power the system. The power source can then be used to trigger a relay.

LEDs are more efficient, durable and less likely to damage the reflector and/or lens. I don't understand why anyone would go the route of a more complicated HID install.
Agree. I bought HIDs for the Street Road King way back, and then moved it to two other HDs because they were expensive $300. When I first bought mine 2008?, LEDs were not available.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory LEDs are horrible. Both the wife and I are able to out drive them at night, not good. The HID lights on my Victory are the best lights I have for night, so I’m going with what I know works. The LEDs are very white, but they don’t cast for distance well. IMHO, YMMV...

·
Bronze member
1,936 Posts
I have upgraded to the JW Speaker LED headlight and driving lights. In my experience they provide the best light pattern (no sharp cutoff of the pattern) and more distance than I can use (they light up the street signs over 1/4 mile away).

Good luck with your install. Post the results once you’re done.

·
Rider
502 Posts
I have upgraded to the JW Speaker LED headlight and driving lights. In my experience they provide the best light pattern (no sharp cutoff of the pattern) and more distance than I can use (they light up the street signs over 1/4 mile away).

Good luck with your install. Post the results once you’re done.
I also did the JWs. I later uninstalled them and will never use them again, but put a set of SuperSpots LEDsthat my dealer sells and still love the benefits LEDs offer including that nice crisp white. The trick with the LEDs is to install the whole assembly, not just the light. When you get the whole assembly, they have projector style lenses, so they throw a light MUCH better than doing just the LED bulbs

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious what issues you had with the JW Speaker lights? Which headlight did you use?
Right? First time I've ever heard of someone not liking the JW Speaker lights...

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Right? First time I've ever heard of someone not liking the JW Speaker lights...
Agree, the JW Speaker LED Lights are the best lights that I have had on any of my 22 bikes in my 56 years of riding.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Rider
502 Posts
I'm curious what issues you had with the JW Speaker lights? Which headlight did you use?
I used their 8700 and the 4.5" as well. I had one of the 4.5" lights fog up the lens from the inside. I looked at it closer, and found there was white powder at the bottom of the lens. Took a picture sent it to them and they refused to warranty it. Said it was condensation. I even blew up the picture to show it was powder and they did nothing. So I ripped them all out, threw them in the trash and told my fellow members of my IMRG chapter who were thinking of going that route to not waste their time and money. These other ones are lifetime warrantied, and supplied by our local store, so we won't be given any trouble about returning them. It was more the customer service than the product itself. However, there was no reason for any problems in less than 1 year.

·
Bronze member
1,936 Posts
That's interesting because the driving lights are sealed units. There should be no condensation unless a seal was cracked.

I have their 8790 Adaptive light and have had problems so far. Yours is the first negative comment I've heard. If I ever do I have the advantage of being able to knock on their door.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Have had the JW Speaker LED Headlight and Driving Lights in my 2015 Chieftain for nearly 2½ years with over 40,000 riding miles with the lights through all weather conditions.

They are sealed units and still look like new.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Bronze member
2,543 Posts
Had HID headlight on my Street Glide. It was bright, but usually if I started the bike with the hi beam on, the bike sensed too much of a power drain and would cut the headlight off. The only way to get it back on was to move the switch to lo beam and restart the bike. Once started, I could go back to hi beam. I even had the kit installed that connected the HID to the battery, which was supposed alleviate this issue...but it did not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts