Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian Chieftain Classic, Stage 1 setup (Modified Stock Exh, Wimmer intake, PV3 tune by FM)
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife is wanting to upgrade her Chieftain to a simple stage one set up. She has swapped out the exhaust and is waiting on her air cleaner. In looking at tuners I know the PV-3 is capable of a lot but she doesn't want to do anything further with her bike. I'm assuming the PC-V can compensate for the modifications but I'm not 100% sure on how the two tuners are different. Is it that the PC-V adjusts fuel trims on the fly to compensate for the mods and the PV-3 rewrites the ECU basically? Sorry if this sounds dumb but I'm still learning the tuning process. If all she wants to do is to be able to run her new intake and exhaust would the PC-V be sufficient?

·
Registered
502 Posts
From my understanding, and many will chime in, the V has to be left on the bike and tucked away, which if you've seen under the seat....not much room? The 3 is a flash tuner and can be removed. I believe the tunes are the same.

·
Bronze member
1,890 Posts
I am a 44year professional motorcycle mechanic with over 23 year werking with Dynojets fuel injection products.

DO NOT waste money on the PCV as it does not have the capabilities of the PV3, nor does it perform any tuning on the fly unless you spend TONS of money installing wide band sensors on the exhaust along with the auto tuner. The PCV also requires installation and on the Indians it is one of the biggest pain in the ass installs.

The PV3 requires NO installation other than "pairing" the unit to her skoot (done electronically) and thru the PV3 so many aspects of engine performance is altered far and away more so than what a PCV can do.

Contact Fuel Moto who are sponsors on this site.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
I am a 44year professional motorcycle mechanic with over 23 year werking with Dynojets fuel injection products.

DO NOT waste money on the PCV as it does not have the capabilities of the PV3, nor does it perform any tuning on the fly unless you spend TONS of money installing wide band sensors on the exhaust along with the auto tuner. The PCV also requires installation and on the Indians it is one of the biggest pain in the ass installs.

The PV3 requires NO installation other than "pairing" the unit to her skoot (done electronically) and thru the PV3 so many aspects of engine performance is altered far and away more so than what a PCV can do.

Contact Fuel Moto who are sponsors on this site.

RACNRAY
second that

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
I also agree with Ray. Why spend the time and headache trying to install an inferior product? Also i would add that anytime you have to leave the module installed on he bike to have it doing the work in line, there is a chance that it can go bad and then your bike wont really even run. And of course that will happen at the most inconvenient time when you are hundreds of miles form home. Ask me how i know that. :rolleyes: Totally worth the money for the PV3.

·
Bronze member
2,878 Posts
Then there is the Indian detune to consider. A PV3 + FM tune will get rid of the stock detune (that's built into the stock programming)..

While use of the PVC on an Indian (of any kind) can be very important (and key) in "certain tuning circumstances", stage 1 does not apply..

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
So my wife is wanting to upgrade her Chieftain to a simple stage one set up. She has swapped out the exhaust and is waiting on her air cleaner. In looking at tuners I know the PV-3 is capable of a lot but she doesn't want to do anything further with her bike.
If she really doesn't want to do anything further, she won't have to. The AC will include an updated tune from Indian. That tune has gone through some development and people on the forum are saying it's a lot better than the early versions. Indian will flash the bike and if it needs flashing for any reason in the future her bike is registered as having the stage 1 tune and it will be left in place.

If she decides to go with an aftermarket tune, you have the advice already to get the PV3 and leave the PC-V on the shelf.

One thing that hasn't been said is that the PC-V needs the bike to be dyno tuned to set it up. That is a considerable extra cost over the unit itself and the installation cost. If she wants further mods such as cams in the future, a new dyno tune session is needed.

The PV3 tunes are free so if there's further mods a new tune to suit is easy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just had a PV and dyno tune done on my 2016 RM. It's been so hot here that I haven't covered any significant miles in order to evaluate. Will do so soon and post findings in a separate thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts