Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the Roar to the Shore in NJ and have the opportunity to to purchase a Power Commander with custom tune from one of the mobile dyno vendors here. Cost is $800. I have a 2016 Scout 60. I recently changed the pipes to Bassani 2 into 1. Has anyone installed a Power Commander on the scout 60 and if so how did it fit and work. Is it worth the investment? Thanks.

·
Rider
569 Posts
Why don’t you buy it from fuelmoto and see if they have a good tune for your setup? It’s a LOT cheaper! I think it’s $380 for the power commander, and if they have a tune that fits your setup they will send it for free. Or you can pay $200 for their remote tuning and your still well under $800 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,128 Posts
Why don’t you buy it from fuelmoto and see if they have a good tune for your setup? It’s a LOT cheaper! I think it’s $380 for the power commander, and if they have a tune that fits your setup they will send it for free. Or you can pay $200 for their remote tuning and your still well under $800 dollars.

uhhm ... you are referring to the Power VISION (3) when talking about remote tuning ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uhhm ... you are referring to the Power VISION (3) when talking about remote tuning ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I was originally considering the Powervision. My concern with the Power Commander is how well it fits on the scout 60. If it interferes with removing the battery or even accessing it or other things, that's an issue for me.

·
Rider
569 Posts
I was originally considering the Powervision. My concern with the Power Commander is how well it fits on the scout 60. If it interferes with removing the battery or even accessing it or other things, that's an issue for me.
The power vision CX was replaced by the PV3. They do the same thing, the pv3 is just the newer model with more memory. With these you flash a tune to your bike and then can remove them so they take up 0 room on the bike. With this unit much more can be adjusted on your bike to fine tune it, than can be adjusted with the power commander. Also the power commander stays on your bike, so it does take up some room.

·
Bronze member
4,686 Posts
This guy has a Power Commander V on his bobber, so it must fit in there somewhere. Perhaps a PM to him to ask if it interferes with battery etc is the quickest way to get an answer if you are at a weekend thing and don't have much time.
https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/2019-indian-scout-bobber-custom-w-200mm-rear-tire.316410/#post-3181014

Your other question, Is it worth the investment? No. Down the road you might change the air cleaner and it will need another dyno tune. Or Indian does a reflash for something and it includes different fuelling, another dyno tune. The Power Vision 3 is half your quoted price and gives you free tunes for any future mods.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This guy has a Power Commander V on his bobber, so it must fit in there somewhere. Perhaps a PM to him to ask if it interferes with battery etc is the quickest way to get an answer if you are at a weekend thing and don't have much time.
https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/2019-indian-scout-bobber-custom-w-200mm-rear-tire.316410/#post-3181014

Your other question, Is it worth the investment? No. Down the road you might change the air cleaner and it will need another dyno tune. Or Indian does a reflash for something and it includes different fuelling, another dyno tune. The Power Vision 3 is half your quoted price and gives you free tunes for any future mods.
Thank you Dr. That's the info I was looking for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So the Power Commander 5 is a permanent install that you program and the Power vision3 is a programmer that's not, correct? It's used to change the programming of the EFI module on the bike?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The next question would be is it necessary to own one? Meaning is it married to the individual bike in that you actually have to own one rather than going to a dyno tuner and them using theirs to change the programming?

·
Rider
569 Posts
So the Power Commander 5 is a permanent install that you program and the Power vision3 is a programmer that's not, correct? It's used to change the programming of the EFI module on the bike?
Correct. It will also make timing adjustments and other things, It is without a doubt the most versatile way to fine tune an Indian.

·
Rider
569 Posts
The next question would be is it necessary to own one? Meaning is it married to the individual bike in that you actually have to own one rather than going to a dyno tuner and them using theirs to change the programming?
Yes you have to buy your own. The PV3 does “marry” to your bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts