Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently had a Power Commander PCV installed along with a new Indian stage 1 Performance Air Intake on my 2018 Scout Bobber. The bike also has Vance & Hines slip ons.
When I got the bike back it ran like total crap. No low end torque and the bike would cut out at 7000 rpm in first gear and 7900 rpms in all other gears.
I brought back to the shop and they said they would look at it. They also said I would lose torque due to the new air intake.
I picked it up a second time and the bike still doesn't run like it should.
Most of the torque is back but not all, it's still cutting out at high RPM and it doesn't feel like it should.
I'm tempted to have the power commander removed and have Indian remap with new map to match the air intake and Vance & Hines slip ons.
Should the bike lose power and torque by installing a power commander?
Or by installing a Stage 1 performance air intake?
I thought they were supposed to improve all of that and make it run better what am I missing?
Has anyone here had success with Power Commanders and the Performance air intake.

·
Bronze member
4,707 Posts
Was the bike dyno tuned once the PVC was added? If not, they are probably using estimates of what values to set the PCV at.

The better breathing of the bike should result in all round increase, not the decrease you mention.

Most people go for the Power Vision over Power Commander for the advantages it offers when tuning to suit the mods that have been made to the bike.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello,
I recently had a Power Commander PCV installed along with a new Indian stage 1 Performance Air Intake on my 2018 Scout Bobber. The bike also has Vance & Hines slip ons.
When I got the bike back it ran like total crap. No low end torque and the bike would cut out at 7000 rpm in first gear and 7900 rpms in all other gears.
I brought back to the shop and they said they would look at it. They also said I would lose torque due to the new air intake.
I picked it up a second time and the bike still doesn't run like it should.
Most of the torque is back but not all, it's still cutting out at high RPM and it doesn't feel like it should.
I'm tempted to have the power commander removed and have Indian remap with new map to match the air intake and Vance & Hines slip ons.
Should the bike lose power and torque by installing a power commander?
Or by installing a Stage 1 performance air intake?
I thought they were supposed to improve all of that and make it run better what am I missing?
Has anyone here had success with Power Commanders and the Performance air intake.
Why not the pvcx over the power commander? Just curious, I personally would get the pvcx, and new air intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Quangtungnguyen.
This is what the shop sold me. They said this was the way to go.
It sounds like they sold me the wrong thing.
I live 200 miles from my local Indian Dealer, this was their sister shop located where I live, but they don't sell Indians.
But the part came from their other shop that sells Indians...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the bike dyno tuned once the PVC was added? If not, they are probably using estimates of what values to set the PCV at.

The better breathing of the bike should result in all round increase, not the decrease you mention.

Most people go for the Power Vision over Power Commander for the advantages it offers when tuning to suit the mods that have been made to the bike.
Thank you Dr. Shifty, I appreciate your advice and expertise on this.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks so much Quangtungnguyen.
This is what the shop sold me. They said this was the way to go.
It sounds like they sold me the wrong thing.
I live 200 miles from my local Indian Dealer, this was their sister shop located where I live, but they don't sell Indians.
But the part came from their other shop that sells Indians...
I see, how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking (minus the pipes and the installation of the pipes) . I would try removing the pcv. I was always under the impression that power commanders were more beneficial with full exhaust kits, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And if I am wrong I would def return it and buy pvcx from fuel Moto.

·
Bronze member
4,707 Posts
The Power Commander - PCV - was once the go-to thing for tuning. It's an add-on part that takes the fuelling info of the moment from the computer and makes changes to it before passing the modified info to the injectors and timing. It is mostly set up on a dyno tuner so the changes can be set to be the most beneficial.

The Power Vision - PVCX now updated to PV3 - is different. It knows how to make changes to the computer's tuning maps. You load in a tune, plug it to the bike and flash the computer, then remove it. Tuning info is known for lots of mods, such as different cams or pipes, and freely available. It can also be used to log performance of the bike and those logs are run through a computer app to make fine adjustments, then the bike re-flashed. This allows a progressively better tune over several logging runs. Many of us on here have done this.

It's easy to get PCV and PVCX or PV3 confused but a forum search will give you loads of info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, how much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking (minus the pipes and the installation of the pipes) . I would try removing the pcv. I was always under the impression that power commanders were more beneficial with full exhaust kits, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And if I am wrong I would def return it and buy pvcx from fuel Moto.
Hi Quangtungnguyen,
The shop charged me $719.95 to install the PowerCommander.
$304.99 to install the Stage 1 Performance air intake.

So basically I spent a $1000.00 to have the bike loose horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI Dr. Shifty,
Thank you again for your valuable input on this.
Hi Quangtungnguyen,
The shop charged me $719.95 for the PowerCommander and install.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi Quangtungnguyen,

Holy smokes, and thats not even including the power commander itself. That's tough.

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Hi Quangtungnguyen,

The Stage 1 performance air intake is a reasonable performance enhancement, but the cost versus performance for the PCV is not.

I would demand they take the PVC off and refund your money...the performance has not be realized and they certainly do not know how to set it up. I would then purchase the PV3 through FuelMotoUSA for under $400 and flash their tune into your ECU yourself. It is very easy and all your performance will be back plus a lot more.

Make them flash the Indian stage 1 factory calibration to your bike. They should of done that when they installed the Indian A/C.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where did you buy the power commander? did it have a map pre-installed? I have a 2018 Scout Bobber with Hacker pipes and S&S intake. My PCV came from Fuel Moto with a canned map, then I had it Dyno tuned at a Ducati dealership and it runs like a dream. You need to get it on a dyno and tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.... not all tuners are created equal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Stage 1 performance air intake is a reasonable performance enhancement, but the cost versus performance for the PCV is not.

I would demand they take the PVC off and refund your money...the performance has not be realized and they certainly do not know how to set it up. I would then purchase the PV3 through FuelMotoUSA for under $400 and flash their tune into your ECU yourself. It is very easy and all your performance will be back plus a lot more.

Make them flash the Indian stage 1 factory calibration to your bike. They should of done that when they installed the Indian A/C.
Craig, what are your thoughts on a PV3 on a bike without o2 sensors?

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Craig, what are your thoughts on a PV3 on a bike without o2 sensors?
If you have dyno tuned the engine then it is okay. But if not, you have no idea what AFR you are running.

You would also have to have O2 bypasses so you do not throw codes for them.

I am not a fan of running open loop all the time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have dyno tuned the engine then it is okay. But if not, you have no idea what AFR you are running.

You would also have to have O2 bypasses so you do not throw codes for them.

I am not a fan of running open loop all the time.
thanks. i'm thinking of swapping out my pipes for some that are are higher off the ground and with o2 bungs... rip out the PCV and use a PV3 instead

1 - 18 of 18 Posts