Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tomorrow trying out the new 300mm lens in the surf. There are a few more shots on my IG feed: @big_d_speedshop

·
Super Moderator
5,707 Posts
And finally a sunset. I was hoping for a surfer to walk by, instead I got a bro with a giant boombox.

View attachment 30041
Hi Meggie. Like this image a lot. Are you familiar with the "Rule of Thirds" rule for composition? Putting the horizon at either one-third from top or one-third from bottom draws a viewer in more. Cropping that image accordingly would make for a worthy wall-mounted enlargment. Just trying to help out. :)

Also - your thread - but can others post there on-topic images here too?

Here's a cropped version of your image. Personally I think it brings more drama to the image.

Sunset Beach_qfh.jpg

·
Silver member
2,829 Posts
Hi Meggie. Like this image a lot. Are you familiar with the "Rule of Thirds" rule for composition? Putting the horizon at either one-third from top or one-third from bottom draws a viewer in more. Cropping that image accordingly would make for a worthy wall-mounted enlargment. Just trying to help out. :)

Here's a cropped version of your image. Personally I think it brings more drama to the image.

View attachment 30044
EQ,
This achieves more of a Mondrian balance, also.
Yup, I got an art degree before I realized that if I stayed in that field I would be much too poor to buy things like Indians, so I got a business degree too.
And yes, it's a beautiful picture.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

View attachment 30044
Seriously?
You ever hear of the chick with a beard rule?
Yeah, check it out.....

mona baby.jpg

·
Silver member
2,829 Posts
My apologies, Meggie....I just realized a thread hijack may have occurred.
Please carry on, and ignore the two doofuses (plural - doofie?) playing behind the curtain.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
LOL - Good chuckle on that BD and SS. Hey Meggie, I pulled the pic just to the bottom of the page and it felt like I was standing there at that very moment. I envy anyone who enjoyed that day. Great pic and made me smile - thanks Pat

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I don't know where I got the hardass reputation, I love and appreciate your comments. As far as hijacking, I'm more guilty than all of you combined. Knock yourselves out, worse case I delete your post...

Quinn, I love your treatment. The camera was resting on the ground, pointed slightly up, 23mm and f2.8. Focused on the waves, half way between camera and horizon. I was actually looking at the the thirds lines when I was cropping it, and decided to use the waves as the top third. I'll play with it further before I print it.

Headed to the beach to catch the surfers on the tide now.

·
Silver member
2,829 Posts
Thanks guys! I don't know where I got the hardass reputation, I love and appreciate your comments. As far as hijacking, I'm more guilty than all of you combined. Knock yourselves out, worse case I delete your post...

Quinn, I love your treatment. The camera was resting on the ground, pointed slightly up, 23mm and f2.8. Focused on the waves, half way between camera and horizon. I was actually looking at the the thirds lines when I was cropping it, and decided to use the waves as the top third. I'll play with it further before I print it.

Headed to the beach to catch the surfers on the tide now.
Take and post more great pics!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts