Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founding member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

While riding my 2020 Challenger today in 85* heat, the bike's engine died twice. In both instances, I was approaching an intersection that displayed a red light. I was traveling about 35 mph in 4th gear, and downshifted into 3rd, and then 2nd as I was slowing down. I then pulled the clutch lever in and rolled the throttle back to idle. This is when the engine died. It started right up, and I drove away both times. It has never done this before.

When I got home, I started thinking about what might have changed on the bike recently. I remembered that I had activated the rear cylinder deactivation last week. I also remembered that a couple of days ago, I started the bike, and it immediately shut off after starting. I hit the starter again, and it started right up. This had never happened before either.

I went to the garage and shut off the rear cylinder deactivation, then went for another ride. The bike ran perfectly, and never acted like it was going to shut down at idle or any other time. Another thing that was weird, was that when I filled up yesterday, I only got about 40 mpg on that tank of gas. Typical mileage for me has been averaging about 47 mpg.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues while the rear cylinder deactivation on their bike was turned on. Any replies?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issue happen to me on my 2017 Chieftain. It started to kick into safe mode and deactivated the rear cylinder. The first few times it would reset when I would shut down, then restart. After a few times of that, it wouldn't reset anymore. Dealer replaced the throttle body. Fixed the issue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
There has been some updates done in the latest ecm flash, maybe have the dealer check yours out. My buddy had his in for a few issues and they re flashed his ecm saying there were some updates.

·
Founding member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There has been some updates done in the latest ecm flash, maybe have the dealer check yours out. My buddy had his in for a few issues and they re flashed his ecm saying there were some updates.
I just bought the Challenger on March 19, and was told by my the dealer that they always update any ECM and VCM flashes that need to be updated. The bike was just in for the 2500 mile service last week too. That being said, I'm going to call them today and ask if that was done on my bike.

Regardless of whether or not the ECM needs to be re-flashed, if shutting the rear cylinder deactivation off solves the problem, it's going to stay off.

Reactions: BaggerJay

·
Bronze member
2,653 Posts
I just bought the Challenger on March 19, and was told by my the dealer that they always update any ECM and VCM flashes that need to be updated. The bike was just in for the 2500 mile service last week too. That being said, I'm going to call them today and ask if that was done on my bike.

Regardless of whether or not the ECM needs to be re-flashed, if shutting the rear cylinder deactivation off solves the problem, it's going to stay off.
I’d leave it off, but take it to the dealer to be corrected.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
If it's able to be, just switch it off. I can't think of an actual reason for it besides people being used to it by coming from over sized air cooled engines that needed that engineering band aid...
It's absolutely unecsessary on liquid cooled bikes..

·
Registered
2 Posts

I bought my Challenger about two weeks ago. I had cylinder deactivation issues. I was at 483 miles and was about to hit my 500 mile service and it kept shutting off. During my 500 mile service they reflashed it and no issues. Took it out the next day for 211 miles and no issues at all.

·
Founding member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my Challenger about two weeks ago. I had cylinder deactivation issues. I was at 483 miles and was about to hit my 500 mile service and it kept shutting off. During my 500 mile service they reflashed it and no issues. Took it out the next day for 211 miles and no issues at all.
That's good to hear. I think I'll call next week and see if I can come in for a quick re-flash and see what it does. I agree with Hatt, though. I can't see why it's even necessary on a water cooled bike, so I'll just leave it off even if I do get the flash done.

Reactions: Hatt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Howdy folks,

While riding my 2020 Challenger today in 85* heat, the bike's engine died twice. In both instances, I was approaching an intersection that displayed a red light. I was traveling about 35 mph in 4th gear, and downshifted into 3rd, and then 2nd as I was slowing down. I then pulled the clutch lever in and rolled the throttle back to idle. This is when the engine died. It started right up, and I drove away both times. It has never done this before.

When I got home, I started thinking about what might have changed on the bike recently. I remembered that I had activated the rear cylinder deactivation last week. I also remembered that a couple of days ago, I started the bike, and it immediately shut off after starting. I hit the starter again, and it started right up. This had never happened before either.

I went to the garage and shut off the rear cylinder deactivation, then went for another ride. The bike ran perfectly, and never acted like it was going to shut down at idle or any other time. Another thing that was weird, was that when I filled up yesterday, I only got about 40 mpg on that tank of gas. Typical mileage for me has been averaging about 47 mpg.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues while the rear cylinder deactivation on their bike was turned on. Any replies?
Yes, my base model stalled or shut off a few times in the exact same manor while coming to a stop. This was when it had under 500 miles on it, I mentioned it when i took it in for the initial 500 check up.The dealership said my throttle body was within specs so that was not an issue. Mine has not done it since and I'm at 4000 miles. I will take your advice and shut down the RCD if it happens again.

·
5 years +
175 Posts
If it's able to be, just switch it off. I can't think of an actual reason for it besides people being used to it by coming from over sized air cooled engines that needed that engineering band aid...
It's absolutely unecsessary on liquid cooled bikes..
Wow! I didn't know you are an engineer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Before i took mine in to have Throttle Body check and ECU Reflash mine died three times pulling up to a stop sign. After ECU Reflash at 4k miles never happened again. Now at 8,200 miles. Also before Reflash ever now and then would get irregular idle. But none of that since reflash.
Also should mention that the three time it died engine temp was at 180. RCD doesn’t engage on mine til 185.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Wow! I didn't know you are an engineer
WTF...Ah yes, content less ad-homonym reply! great contribution to an intellectual conversation !
Here we go!

How do you know I'm not?
How do you know my 30 years of experience in multiple high performance automation facets is worth nothing next to a piece of paper saying i sat in a class room?
Yup. Started at 13.

I LOVE when people have this elitist bend. Especially when they say things like that.
I'll just be over here digging ditches for the educated elitist class....

OK, done digging the ditch. So I now have time to ask my master,

What reasons do YOU think it's a needed thing?
The front cylinder blocking wind to the rear?
The lack of coolant getting to the rear? And Because why? Coolant can't reach that far?
Lack of heat soak dispersion and dissipation from front to back?
Surely you can come up with something right?

I'll further extend the olive branch and offer my own counter point, it will keep the rear header pipe cooler..
Which people might like.
I know I'm not an engineer according to you, but I wonder if since there is no load on a deactivated cylinder, won't it have some of the same Ill effects as idling a motor? Isn't that less than ideal. Won't one wear at different rates? Won't one get dirtier than the other? Is there no evidence in other cylinder deactivating engine's if any of this? I know that answer. I've made money from the answer.
Is that potential worth it? For a cooler header pipe? I can't imagine it being as hot as an air cooled bike to the rider? They weren't in my experiences..
IDK but an engineer always asks questions.
Ohp! I see a place to dig another ditch.
Sorry boss, I'll get right to it.

Am I an engineer? No.
Have I bailed out trained engineers before? Yes. Often.

Am I sensitive to elitist people thinking the only persons who can have logical questions, or worth while contribution are the ones who went through the broken system while shitting on those that didn't. Yes. I'm sensitive to that crap. It's a pet peeve of mine.. no it's a major psychotic episode.

On this, is one instance of an example of how when people are behind a key board they say more things they wouldn't in person.
Sometimes it's the opposite.
This is an example of the opposite. The only reason I'm being this polite is because of rules...
The elitist arrogance in your reply is palpable. It makes you appear ignorant to the fact that many of the greatest and best achievements of mankind are from those with no training while some of the largest disasters were by those trained and considered experts..
None of them were by me, but I'll always put experience before certificate..
BTW, you actually sound like the engineers I've corrected..

·
5 years +
175 Posts
WTF...Ah yes, content less ad-homonym reply! great contribution to an intellectual conversation !
Here we go!

How do you know I'm not?
How do you know my 30 years of experience in multiple high performance automation facets is worth nothing next to a piece of paper saying i sat in a class room?
Yup. Started at 13.

I LOVE when people have this elitist bend. Especially when they say things like that.

The lack of coolant getting to the rear? And Because why? Coolant can't reach that far?

I'll further extend the olive branch and offer my own counter point, it will keep the rear header pipe cooler..
Which people might like.
I know I'm not an engineer according to you, but I wonder if since there is no load on a deactivated cylinder, won't it have some of the same Ill effects as idling a motor? Isn't that less than ideal. Won't one wear at different rates? Won't one get dirtier than the other? Is there no evidence in other cylinder deactivating engine's if any of this? I know that answer. I've made money from the answer.
Is that potential worth it? For a cooler header pipe? I can't imagine it being as hot as an air cooled bike to the rider? They weren't in my experiences..

Am I an engineer? No.

Am I sensitive to elitist people thinking the only persons who can have logical questions, or worth while contribution are the ones who went through the broken system while shitting on those that didn't. Yes. I'm sensitive to that crap. It's a pet peeve of mine.. no it's a major psychotic episode.

On this, is one instance of an example of how when people are behind a key board they say more things they wouldn't in person.
This is an example of the opposite. The only reason I'm being this polite is because of rules...
The elitist arrogance in your reply is palpable. It makes you appear ignorant to the fact that many of the greatest and best achievements of mankind are from those with no training while some of the largest disasters were by those trained and considered experts..
Thanks for clarifying your original post. No I'm not an engineer

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here we go!

How do you know I'm not?
Yup. Started at 13.

Which people might like.

Am I an engineer? No.

Way too long, gotta keep your retorts or jabs short and concise otherwise you risk losing your audience... especially when your audience is nursing a Sunday morning hangover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts