Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
It’s apparently for gravity fed fuel lines, so answer would be no.
Scout is pressurized by fuel pump.

From their webpage under usage:
  • Most of gasoline and diesel fuel systems without fuel pump
  • Most of gasoline and diesel fuel systems with external fuel pump (except closed fuel systems)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah crap, missed that part. Should work on my KLR but using the odometer works just fine.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Yeah heck, thinking more about it I wonder if it would be possible to tap into the underside of the tank for a hose connection just for that fuel gauge.

I don’t know if there’s any strange voodoo magic about fuel tank pressures for these electronic kind.

Not for the faint of heart because first of all you would need a thoroughly cleaned fumeless tank to drill the hole.
And extremely careful to have a leak free seal.

That little device would be perfect for my old Yamaha if I ever get it running again.

·
Rider
680 Posts
I saw a gas cap replacement once that had a mechanical float/gauge. Not sure where, but there is one out there...

·
Rider
1,167 Posts
The mileage on my Scout stays within a 4 mile a gallon range almost all of the time. The trip OD shows me a more accurate picture of the gas remaining in the tank than a gauge probably would. The only real variance is when the winter formulation gas hits the pumps, then my mileage drops a couple of miles a gallon until spring/summer.

Reactions: EZ Rider 55

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After I change mufflers and air intake plus a fuel tuner, my mileage went from basically 150/160 km to 200 Km easily. Trip meter always and not the light.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You may be interested to know that my brother is currently using the LSK electronics gauge on his Suzuki LS650 bobber. That is a gravity fed/petcock fuel tank into a carburettor system, so apparently perfect for the installation of the LSK unit, but, it has been a little erratic in use and he has had to play with the orientation of the sensor box in order to get it to read reliably. Not sure how happy he is with the final result.
The problem with the scout tank is that it does appear to "pressurise", particularly if the tank vents pass through a charcoal filter box to comply with Californian emission regulations.
Read some of the forum entries about funny noises coming from the fuel tank when the scout is stationary.
Personally I have never experienced this "noise" problem but the UK models are not fitted with the charcoal emission control equipment and the vents from the tank just exit at the bottom of the swing arm. I'm pretty sure that even if you did drill and tap a fuel tank hole in the scout the LSK unit would probably not perform like an oem fuel gauge.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For what it’s worth, I had a 2018 Springfield before trading up to my Chieftain... the Springfield had a what I believe to be a gravity type fuel gauge and it was horribly inaccurate and most of the time useless... I too had to rely on remembering to reset one of my trips at every fill up, sometimes I’d forget and it’d be a little game of “am i gonna make it??”

It’s kinda ridiculous in my opinion, $18k motorcycle in the Springfield and we get a garbage fuel gauge haha.

My Chieftains got a digital fuel gauge which seems to be MOSTLY ok. Every now and then I fill up and it doesn’t reach that last block to being full.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't installed one, but I've been considering it. What about a fuel sight? Basically a clear tube running along your tank showing how much fuel is in it. Seems more like a custom chopper thing but it could be the solution for us Scout owners.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
I remember my Sportsters with petcocks and the odometer was your only gauge...especially if you forgot to turn the petcock back after refueling! 🙃

1 - 13 of 13 Posts