Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil on my wife's 2016 Scout and wrenched the oil drain plug on until seated. Turned it a bit more to make sure it was snug and popped off the bolt top. A neighbor helped my slightly lay it down on a large foam mat and we were able to tap the bolt in just the right angle to turn it back out. I was thrilled I didn't need to have the dealer mess with it.

So, I had the bike sitting in the garage with the oil pan beneath it and went to work. What I didn't realize is that my 19 year old son would decide to take the bike out...with no oil. He literally had to move the oil pain so he could back the bike out of the garage.

He told me he started it and let it run for 1 minute and it didn't sound right so he shut it down and put it back. I didn't know any of this until later on.

I got it filled with oil and it wouldn't start. Just barely crank a few times and quit. I charged the battery, no better. I replaced the battery and still, nothing. Now, it seems to crank even less.

Running for 1 minute, just idling shouldn't seize the engine but perhaps something else happened to prevent the engine from starting. I have an appointment with the dealer to check it out.

Toys are fun until shit happens 馃槱

Registered
Ooff.. I feel for you, man

Your son only let it idle for a minute? Didn't rev it or anything?

Hopefully it's nothing major and the dealer fixes it.

Registered
yeah I think a little lesson in common sense will go a long way. haha. But yeah shit happens. At least he didn't get on it and rip down the road like he stole it. Glad he had the sense to shut it off.

Registered
Try turning the crank by hand. TBH, I don't know how on this bike, but yours isn't a lost cause. I accidentally turned my car over for a minute getting it out from under the lift and out of the garage after a clutch swap with no oil. I've put 100k miles on it since.

Oil, particularly synthetic, is going to lube surfaces pretty well even if it's not in circulation with a sump. The only reason you'd want more than that thin sheet is cooling and circulating new debris through the filter. I feel like if you can turn it by hand you might find any rut it's stuck in now is superficial.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Bronze member
Hmmm.. 19yr old, runs it with no oil, bad things come from engine sound..

No, wasnt me, shut off right away.... meanwhile neighborhood remember the bike ripping around for an hour... LOL

Hope all works out for you, but I remember being young dumb, and full of ####

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ooff.. I feel for you, man

Your son only let it idle for a minute? Didn't rev it or anything?

Hopefully it's nothing major and the dealer fixes it.
He did rev it a bit, why....I don't know. I love the kid more than my bike so I'll get over it. Hopefully it's not major damage, just a perfect storm of circumstances.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Try turning the crank by hand. TBH, I don't know how on this bike, but yours isn't a lost cause. I accidentally turned my car over for a minute getting it out from under the lift and out of the garage after a clutch swap with no oil. I've put 100k miles on it since.

Oil, particularly synthetic, is going to lube surfaces pretty well even if it's not in circulation with a sump. The only reason you'd want more than that thin sheet is cooling and circulating new debris through the filter. I feel like if you can turn it by hand you might find any rut it's stuck in now is superficial.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I'm hoping it's not an engine rebuild. If it really was just one minute idle, could be something more simple. Spoke to the dealer and they agree 1 min shouldn't kill it. IF it was really 1 minute.

Bronze member
Check your local laws, you may be able to put him up for adoption.

You know, never mind... It's my childhood.....my dad would often introduce me as " his son from his wife's first marriage"....

At a certain age, I realized they were married only once, to eachother ! He also used to say that broken bones heal, broken motorcycles don't.

Ahh, the good ole days.....

Any chance he's from your wifes' first marriage ?

Disclaimer: Intended as jest only. I had a wonderful childhood..

Rider
yeah I think a little lesson in common sense will go a long way. haha. But yeah shit happens. At least he didn't get on it and rip down the road like he stole it. Glad he had the sense to shut it off.
You have a son who likes to ride motorcycles and seems to be cool with his dad. The engine damage, if any, can be resolved by time and money. You could not pay any amount to have such a son. Glad to hear your Zen about the bike. Well done.

Registered
Does he usually jump on someone else's bike, or is this something that he is allowed to do with your wife's bike? In any case, sounds like he needs to re-learn the fundamentals of motorcycling...like T-CLOCS...

Hope it turns out ok!

Bronze member
wrenched the oil drain plug on until seated. Turned it a bit more to make sure it was snug and popped off the bolt top.
Amazing. Please don鈥檛 think me disingenuous but I wouldn鈥檛 have thought that possible.
Shredding the threads, sure, but a drain bolt head shearing off...? Sounds incredible.
And yet someone else just posted about the same thing happening. Link to that here.

Unless it鈥檚 an AKA forum name of yours... Although didn鈥檛 sound like the same story.

You didn鈥檛 get any engine codes or check engine light?

i鈥檓 fairly sure the low oil pressure message would have been displayed anyhow. I just have no idea if that puts a code into the history or not.

If it does more than just display the message maybe that caused a 鈥榙o not start鈥 to prevent damage. So I wonder if a code clearing would work to fix that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Amazing. Please don鈥檛 think me disingenuous but I wouldn鈥檛 have thought that possible.
Shredding the threads, sure, but a drain bolt head shearing off...? Sounds incredible.
And yet someone else just posted about the same thing happening. Link to that here.

Unless it鈥檚 an AKA forum name of yours... Although didn鈥檛 sound like the same story.

You didn鈥檛 get any engine codes or check engine light?

i鈥檓 fairly sure the low oil pressure message would have been displayed anyhow. I just have no idea if that puts a code into the history or not.

If it does more than just display the message maybe that caused a 鈥榙o not start鈥 to prevent damage. So I wonder if a code clearing would work to fix that.
The top of the bolt popped off clean and left the rest in the bike. I was terrified of stripping it so I was careful (need a torque wrench though). I don't know if he ever noticed a check engine light/code etc. I still don't see either, but the bike may need to actually run for that to happen?

Also, must have happened to another guy as well, this is my first post on the subject.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Does he usually jump on someone else's bike, or is this something that he is allowed to do with your wife's bike? In any case, sounds like he needs to re-learn the fundamentals of motorcycling...like T-CLOCS...

Hope it turns out ok!
He took the motorcycle safety course with his mom as she wanted to get into riding. He normally has to ask us for permission, so this time (the most important time) he didn't ask. I'm assuming there were other times as well. This might indicate he's not quite ready for the massive responsibility of riding a motorcycle. If your head isn't sharp when you back it out of the garage, it won't always end well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
You have a son who likes to ride motorcycles and seems to be cool with his dad. The engine damage, if any, can be resolved by time and money. You could not pay any amount to have such a son. Glad to hear your Zen about the bike. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words. I don't always feel Zen, just don't want the kid to beat himself up, he tends to be his harshest critic. He already offered to cover the cost of the entire bike. Guilt/shame is a cancer. I'm a therapist and have seen it consume people.

Registered
I鈥檝e worked on bikes for 30 years. One time I did cam chain tensioners on my own 鈥01 Harley. Put it back together and was so excited that I fired it up and let it run for a good minute or so. All good! Called it a night and went in the house to celebrate with a beer (don鈥檛 drink while wrenching and figured I鈥檇 clean up in the morning). Later, I was laying in bed and had an epiphany...I never put oil back in! Went out in the garage at like 11pm and sure enough... totally forgot in my excitement, dipstick was dry. Put oil in it in the morning, checked it over good (noise, oil pressure etc) and it seemed ok. Ended up putting 10,000 miles on it that summer with no issues. I tell you this to give you hope. Engines are pretty tough! I wish you the best.

Bronze member
A little too late, but...I鈥檓 the only one in my household that rides and if I鈥檝e left the bike without oil (like draining overnight), I put a note on the tank so I don鈥檛 absentmindedly start it up. I would think if it only ran for a minute, you鈥檙e ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
A little too late, but...I鈥檓 the only one in my household that rides and if I鈥檝e left the bike without oil (like draining overnight), I put a note on the tank so I don鈥檛 absentmindedly start it up. I would think if it only ran for a minute, you鈥檙e ok.
I put the only key on my nightstand and left the oil pan under it to make sure. I took the key with me to work the next day for extra precautions. I assumed he realized I was still working on it. Lessons learned, fewer assumptions and more communication. Hard to stomach but that sticky note could have saved us a LOT of money. Such is life.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts