Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the steel plate and mesh screen from my Wimmer air cleaner and replaced those with a piece of .08 thick Acrylic I had laying around. I cut the circle with my 14 in. band saw that has a 3 TPI skip tooth wood blade on it :eek: and finished of the edges off with a belt sander. When the snow is gone I'll see how it works out. I'd like to replace the Acrylic with glass so it will stay scratch free when cleaning/detailing the bike. I'm also thinking about locating some kind of retainer ring to replace the "111" ring that's on there now. Regardless, I like it better than the black metal plate and screen mesh that I removed.

Like :giggle:
or not like :poop:

100_8526.JPG

100_8524.JPG

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
182 Posts
That is pretty slick

·
Rider
1,143 Posts
Great job! Diggin' your ingenuity @WillyH ! =)

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Willy, that looks really good. How did you get the vent hose to hold that shape?
I had/have a reel of 3/8 inch rubber fuel line I used to run a fuel line in my boat several years earlier. The OD is a little over 1/2 inch, and it fit inside the OE rubber vent line pretty snug. I had to cut one bend off the OE vent hose so there wouldn't be any kinks in the line, and it worked out ok. The 3/8 fuel line had kind of a natural or molded bend to it from being coiled up on the reel. So I just turned the line this way and that, and it ended up pretty easy to get it to "blend" into the path I wanted it to follow. As seen in the pics below the fuel line/vent extends under the bike by a few inches. I used a zip tie where the fuel line slides into the OE vent piece, but that probably wasn't needed due to the already tight fit. But better safe than sorry. I later used acetone to remove the white lettering on the piece of fuel line, looks better w/o the white stuff. Pic shows the Wimmer before the faux Voodoo mod.

100_8511.JPG

100_8512.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
You have anymore of that acrylic laying around for another Wimmer A/C owner that wants the same look and doesn't trust himself with a bandsaw? lol

·
Rider
827 Posts
I had/have a reel of 3/8 inch rubber fuel line I used to run a fuel line in my boat several years earlier. The OD is a little over 1/2 inch, and it fit inside the OE rubber vent line pretty snug. I had to cut one bend off the OE vent hose so there wouldn't be any kinks in the line, and it worked out ok. The 3/8 fuel line had kind of a natural or molded bend to it from being coiled up on the reel. So I just turned the line this way and that, and it ended up pretty easy to get it to "blend" into the path I wanted it to follow. As seen in the pics below the fuel line/vent extends under the bike by a few inches. I used a zip tie where the fuel line slides into the OE vent piece, but that probably wasn't needed due to the already tight fit. But better safe than sorry. I later used acetone to remove the white lettering on the piece of fuel line, looks better w/o the white stuff. Pic shows the Wimmer before the faux Voodoo mod.

View attachment 642509

View attachment 642510
Thanks for the detailed info. I had the round Indian AC on my Springfield, but only have the stock one on my Chieftain. I’m thinking if I change that AC I may go the Wimmer route and will probably copy your idea. I’m curious what the backing plate is on the Wimmer, is it aluminum like the Indian round AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You have anymore of that acrylic laying around for another Wimmer A/C owner that wants the same look and doesn't trust himself with a bandsaw? lol
I believe I do (o:

·
Silver member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the detailed info. I had the round Indian AC on my Springfield, but only have the stock one on my Chieftain. I’m thinking if I change that AC I may go the Wimmer route and will probably copy your idea. I’m curious what the backing plate is on the Wimmer, is it aluminum like the Indian round AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not familiar with the round Indian AC. I just checked with a magnet and it didn't stick to the Wimmer backing plate. I doubt if it's stainless, likely it's aluminum. Cutting the acrylic with a band saw is easy. But if I were to do it again I'd put a less aggressive blade on the saw. The 3 TPI blade I used on mine chewed up the edges of the acrylic. Or I should have just used my metal cutting band saw, that has a much finer TPI blade. Live & learn...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts