Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're conducting a joint poll with the Indian Motorcycle Community website to see the initial impressions of the riders between Victory and Indian. While we know that Victory and Indian Riders enjoy their respective bikes, we're just checking to see if they if they would consider buying the other (sister) brand.

While we're taking this poll here, they are asking the Indian Riders if they would consider buying a Victory. (Good Admin Think Alike!)

Hey, it's just a poll and I'm sure some interesting comments are sure to follow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lack of reliability and company instability in the past, even though they would be owned by Polaris, would keep me from buying Indian. Also, it's not my style of bike. I am not a fringe and ridiculously big fender kind of guy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they would get rid of the stupid pushrod motor and primary chain(106/6 ?) we could talk about this puppy for $18-20k, otherwise (and I know thats not happening) nope.

History is nice but historic technology doesn't impress when my life(time) and $$$$ are involved.
I just don't have enough time left for finicky bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4208 said:
it's not my style of bike. I am not a fringe and ridiculously big fender kind of guy.
I feel the same way, I came to the Victory Vision after owning other bikes and studying what is on the market, the Vision 8 Ball was made for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4028 said:
If they would get rid of the stupid pushrod motor and final chain
What makes you think Indian has chain final drive? If you are going to list reasons not to buy something, at least have the facts straight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
692 said:
What makes you think Indian has chain final drive? If you are going to list reasons not to buy something, at least have the facts straight.
Isnt final drive a belt with primary chain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The poll is too vague. Are you asking if we would buy one right now, like today, or sometime in the future AFTER they are built by Polaris?

Big difference....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bring the price down to better reflect the motorcycle, not the name and i'd buy one over HD.
I kinda like the Darkhorse, black, big fenders, who would have thought eh ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always liked the looks of the chief that i considered buying Kawasaki's 1500 Drifter simply for a similar look and a much more affordable price at 11500.00 vs 25000.00 for the indian. I settled on my 01 vic with no regrets,but you never know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4028 said:
If they would get rid of the stupid pushrod motor and final chain(106/6 & Belt?) we could talk about this puppy for $18-20k, otherwise (and I know thats not happening) nope.

History is nice but historic technology doesn't impress when my life and $$$$ are involved.
I just don't have enough time left for finicky bikes.
Chain drive primary, final drive belt.
Also, not sure I would ride one across the country the way they are now, but once Polaris looks them over, might be a different story.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made the same mistake on the final drive in another poll. It is a primary drive chain with a final drive as a belt.

As for my vote. I voted maybe, but that is more of a 'I wouldn't throw out that option but doubt I would.' That is based on price and price alone. Having looked at the Indian bikes, I think they look great, in fact, I think they look better than any Victory bike out there (even my beloved XC). I love the beefy cruiser look that they convey. But at the price they are listed for, they are out of my price range from the beginning. Maybe in 10 years when I've sent all my kids off to join the military and not supporting them any more I'll actually be able to afford to look at one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
692 said:
The poll is too vague. Are you asking if we would buy one right now, like today, or sometime in the future AFTER they are built by Polaris?

Big difference....
Hey H.C.,

I'll agree with you that the wording is vague, but it's what the Admin of the Indian site and I thought would be a way to get some opinions. Personally, it would be great if we know what Polaris is planning on doing with future Indian bikes, but we don't...yet. Heck, we don't even know what company Polaris is buying next!

So, the question today is would you consider buying and Indian. If I had to interpret my own question, I would guess that would mean an Indian that looks like it does today with the Power Plus 105 CI engine. (I can't wait to see the HP mods you do on that one!).

How's that for a vague answer to an open-ended question?

Or, you could vote: Maybe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I said in the Chief Indian Bomber thread, I love the olive drab bomber but would not even think about it for $31K. I would consider buying one if it were more reasonably priced. Of course reliability is a big consideration as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
692 said:
Really Larry?? All the stupid things I say, and you find ONE thing to comment on? in an opinion poll yet?

OK, I'll assume you know what your talking about this time, and still I wouldn't buy it. The price just doesn't match the Bike, for me,,,,,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a confusing question really...

Absolutely. I would buy an Indian exactly as it is made right now.

The reason I don't own one? $40k gets you into better custom bikes out there. If you could buy a Chief for $20k-$25k, I would own one.

They are the polar opposite of the current Victory lineup, and that's why it was the perfect acquisition for Polaris. The Indian models do not directly compete with Victory. I am attracted to both for different reasons.

But just like a Victory, you don't see them on the road often, making them more unique and desirable than most other bikes out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The current Indian price point is a bit high when compared to Victory and Harley which honestly are competitive new bikes. However, I did visit the Corporate Store and did consider a specific model so I did give the '11 Indians more than a passing glance.

IMHO, Indian should still be treated as a 'premium' brand and priced similar to Victory's other premium brand, the Ness bikes. What this means is that the high end Indian would need to drop in retail by nearly $10K in order to be considered by most buyers. Not certain I can see a $37K Deluxe Chief dropping down to $27K but if they at least kept it under $30K for the MOST elaborate version, then I could see it being a competitor. Indian's theory is that they want to sell a bike that 'already has everything' so the buyer does not need to buy anything. Although, I can see that as a value and once I announce the bike I am buying, you will understand my logic follows this path but I wasn't willing to spend $35K+ for the privilege. I have also noticed that even guys buying CVO's go out and add even MORE stuff to their rides so I think the 'Prego' model (Remember the 'It's in there' slogan?) isn't realistic

1 - 20 of 102 Posts