Votes: 3 5.8%
  • 3. Not sure

Votes: 11 21.2%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing what you do now, how would answer the question of whether you would buy another one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wanted to post a similar thread as to why you choose the FTR 1200S RR, 1200S, or 1200. It literally came down to the analog gauge for me. This being my first bike I wanted that old school feel and not have a gadget display. I also didn't want to swap it and have the display just collect dust as that would have been a waste.

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Like a shot! For me the 1200 was overpriced for what it was, nevertheless for a little more Wonga the 1200S delivered so much more out of the box.

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nope, hurts my knees...

·
Registered
578 Posts
But you did buy one?
Yep, that is what the poll asked... would you buy again, need to own one first to do it again.... :)

Until I get knee replacements, the FTR postion hurts too much only after an hour riding. Even the Motus with it much better foot position starts to hurt after a few hours... the only bike that does not is the RM.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Yep, that is what the poll asked... would you buy again, need to own one first to do it again.... :)

Until I get knee replacements, the FTR postion hurts too much only after an hour riding. Even the Motus with it much better foot position starts to hurt after a few hours... the only bike that does not is the RM.
The issue here is with yourself not the bike which the poll doesn't realistically account for. I felt your pain having had a knee replaced last November. That together with a tune has made the bike so much more intrinsically valuable from an enjoyment perspective. Was back on it 9 weeks and 3 days after procedure.

Let's play again:

If you had no discomfort in your knees would you buy an FTR again?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
100% Without a doubt!
Surprise surprise!

Only thing I'd change is like it said in the OP. "Knowing what I know now", I'd have just shown up with a tuner in hand...

In fact if I unloaded this one, I'd try out others to possibly replace it since I'm only slightly higher than Luke warm for other current options..

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The issue here is with yourself not the bike which the poll doesn't realistically account for. I felt your pain having had a knee replaced last November. That together with a tune has made the bike so much more intrinsically valuable from an enjoyment perspective. Was back on it 9 weeks and 3 days after procedure.

Let's play again:

If you had no discomfort in your knees would you buy an FTR again?
Hey Mal, I think the poll indeed includes the above issues. It was designed to be a subjective assessment of the happiness level owners have, or don't have. Sounds like the "yes" votes will easily take the day...

·
Rider
1,288 Posts
Hi Bob, the "knowing what you know now" with all the quirks and foibles of the FTR clearly on the forum it didn't imply happiness level to me, but as an engineer I saw it more as design/mechanical/electrical gremlin survey. I obviously read it wrong! But with similar historical knee issues even when I was experiencing serious pain and discomfort my answer would still have been a resounding yes as there was nothing wrong with the bike itself, my surgery was booked and I knew it was going to get better. Let me expand a little. My subjective assessment is that the FTR actively encouraged and hastened my healing process after my knee procedure as I was told categorically it would be at least three months before I would be able get back on it and only then if I attained an adequate bend capability in the replacement knee.

In summation if you're heading for a knee replacement or two buying an FTR (or any other bike that needs more than 110 degree knee bend angle to ride it) is a great motivator and if you don't have one go buy one 10 weeks before you go under the grinder. I am thankfully in a much better place now and think once Eeyore gets his knees done and finds himself in the same position his answer would possibly be the opposite to what it is today?

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
Old age and old knees suck. I can vouch for that. If there was a peg relocation kit (lower and forward of the stock position) I would consider an FTR.

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Bob, the "knowing what you know now" with all the quirks and foibles of the FTR clearly on the forum it didn't imply happiness level to me, but as an engineer I saw it more as design/mechanical/electrical gremlin survey. I obviously read it wrong! But with similar historical knee issues even when I was experiencing serious pain and discomfort my answer would still have been a resounding yes as there was nothing wrong with the bike itself, my surgery was booked and I knew it was going to get better. Let me expand a little. My subjective assessment is that the FTR actively encouraged and hastened my healing process after my knee procedure as I was told categorically it would be at least three months before I would be able get back on it and only then if I attained an adequate bend capability in the replacement knee.

In summation if you're heading for a knee replacement or two buying an FTR (or any other bike that needs more than 110 degree knee bend angle to ride it) is a great motivator and if you don't have one go buy one 10 weeks before you go under the grinder. I am thankfully in a much better place now and think once Eeyore gets his knees done and finds himself in the same position his answer would possibly be the opposite to what it is today?
Hi Mal, I'm with you, and I'll bet you rocked through rehab to get back riding. Excellent job! Candidly, I thought there was going to be a lot more "I don't know" answers, given some of the non-fixable issues of a small range and lots of heat.

Reactions: K9F

·
Registered
61 Posts
If I knew, would've waited 8 months later to buy and save a few thousand. Still would buy it! I rode just about every popular bike available over the last couple years and the FTR is unique in the motorcycling world. The build quality is on par or better than any other top brand motorcycles out there. The FTR gives me pride riding something so nice that has been built here in America. It has character and feels substantial, not like a lot of the appliances we call motorcycles out there today. It gets almost as much attention at biker hangouts as my two stroke race replicas!

The fact I own 12-15 bikes at any given time makes this decision easy, if it was my only bike I'd have to think a little more about it. As my only bike the fuel range may be the only deal breaker.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts