Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you have tinnitus (ringing in your ears)?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sit here this morning sipping coffee and reading, I’m accompanied by my old friend “Tinnitus”.....a constant ringing in my ears. For the most part I’ve learned to block out this unwelcomed “noise”, but sure wished I had been more careful over the years to protect my hearing. I’ve been exposed to loud noises for years, farm equipment, shooting firearms, and like everyone here motorcycles. While I can’t say for sure, I’m pretty certain riding motorcycles without proper hearing protection exasperated my problem. Just curious how many others on this forum have this issue. For those who answer the poll question in the negative, protect your hearing.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster
63 Posts
I've had it for years now. Never goes away, the ringing is always there. Been to the doctor had hearing test done and tried every remedy to no avail. Been riding for more than 30 years, some of those years was riding for a living (motor cop), always with a half helmet and no ear protection. Doctor believes no ear protection and the constant wind noise is a major contributing factor to my tinnitus. Protect your ears! If I'd only known then what I know now.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,840 Posts
35 years of factory work with the first 15 spent without hearing protection did it to me. My eight ear is worse than my left one. I have a hard time hearing a conversation with any kind of background noise. I also can confuse words that sound alike when being spoken to.

·
Rider
1,121 Posts
I have it all the time. Been riding for over 50 years, and most of those years on loud exhaust Harleys with wind noise. I guess you get used to it. Too late now to worry about it. Can you hear me now?

·
Rider
1,128 Posts
Work in a noisy shop, mostly without hearing protection.
The ringing is quite loud, but I can get past it. I have to concentrate while watching tv. Also had a head injury that caused me to loose 50% hearing in my right ear.

--
Gordon

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Always a low volume ringing. Sleep with a fan on year round for some white noise which seems to help. Off hand ear is worse ref tinnitus and hearing loss probably from shooting 10’s of thousands of rounds when we used non contoured shaped ear plugs years ago.

My retirement gift from work was a set of hearing aids! Lol

·
Rider
1,225 Posts
Feel for you guys. That's why I've been wearing ear plugs whenever I ride, no matter how short the ride, for over ten years.

One of the guys that I used to ride with started off hearing impaired as a child. At some point he lost all of his hearing and is now completely deaf, except that he still has ringing in his ears.

·
Rider
682 Posts
I got it and it sucks. Sometimes I can tune it out for awhile, but it always returns and will always be there. I’ve listened to music too loud when younger, worked with or around noisy machinery, shot many guns, and have ridden for many years. I’m sure it has all added up. But, I believe the biggest culprit has been wind noise on extended rides that did most of my hearing damage. I cannot recommend hearing protection enough to anyone that I know who rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,424 Posts
Had a full career of doing turbine aircraft engine run ups. The turbojet engines were the worst for noise. Even with ear plugs and hearing headsets protection on top of that things were still loud. That with shooting and motorcycle riding with aftermarket pipes have taken their toll. Dont mind it, been married for almost 30 years now and the ringing tends to drown out some of the other "noises" that come with marriage. LOL Dean

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got it and it sucks. Sometimes I can tune it out for awhile, but it always returns and will always be there. I’ve listened to music too loud when younger, worked with or around noisy machinery, shot many guns, and have ridden for many years. I’m sure it has all added up. But, I believe the biggest culprit has been wind noise on extended rides that did most of my hearing damage. I cannot recommend hearing protection enough to anyone that I know who rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I attended a ZZ Top concert in Little Rock years ago. A friend and I managed to work our way towards the stage....landing right in front of one of the speakers. With all the noise and excitement we didn’t pay attention to how it was affecting our hearing. When we walked out of the auditorium everything was muffled and it stayed that way for a day or two. Those were the days......

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have it all the time. Been riding for over 50 years, and most of those years on loud exhaust Harleys with wind noise. I guess you get used to it. Too late now to worry about it. Can you hear me now?
I wasn’t smart enough to understand the impacts of wind noise on hearing loss which is a significant factor with or with a helmet. My bikes were never overly loud, so I rarely wore hearing protection. That changed when I started to notice my fatigue level on longer, multi-day rides was less when I used hearing protection....and that discovery was the real reason I started using hearing protection. Unfortunately, by then the damage was done and tinnitus was fairly advanced. At this point I‘m uncomfortable around loud noises, so hearing protection is a must.

·
Rider
780 Posts
Ear plugs all the time while riding now. Unfortunately I didn’t take care of my hearing like I should have. Ringing in my ears isn’t near as bad as it used to be. I’ve had hearing aids for 14 mos. Wind noise would contribute to ears ringing.

·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
35 years of factory work with the first 15 spent without hearing protection did it to me. My eight ear is worse than my left one. I have a hard time hearing a conversation with any kind of background noise. I also can confuse words that sound alike when being spoken to.
I too get words confused. At times it is interesting to note the difference between what someone actually says vs. what I thought they said. Some of the stuff I “hear” is down right comical. It took me a while, but when I hear something that sounds crazy coming out of someone’s mouth (politicians excluded) I generally ask the person to repeat themselves vs. saying WTF! 🤪

·
Founding Member
673 Posts
Always there. Farm equipment, 10 years in the oil field, been hauling steel for a living for the last 30 years.
Only been on a bike for the last 12 years, mostly with a helmet. No wonder my ears ring. Although, I have a brother who has always been a desk jockey, and he has it too - Dan

·
Silver member
4,856 Posts
I attended a ZZ Top concert in Little Rock years ago. A friend and I managed to work our way towards the stage....landing right in front of one of the speakers. With all the noise and excitement we didn’t pay attention to how it was affecting our hearing. When we walked out of the auditorium everything was muffled and it stayed that way for a day or two. Those were the days......
A ZZ Top and 3 George Thorogood concerts were the loudest I've been to. One George Thorogood concert about 25 years ago was so loud I actually felt my chest vibrating because we were so close to the speakers. I don't remember if my ears were ringing back then or not. But I'm surprised I can hear at all afterwards lol.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts