Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think of our country's reaction to the coronavirus situation?

• I feel not enough is being done.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • I feel more should be done, but I'm okay with the current response.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I feel the response has been appropriate.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I feel the response has been excessive, but I can live with it.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I feel the response has been excessive and fueled by panic.

Votes: 51 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 320 Posts

·
Rider
348 Posts
Just clicked on the link provided, and from what I saw, the UK still regards Covid-19 a major health crisis.

This was a screen shot from the link just now (midnight PST). There is a lot more information on this site that states the UK, and the rest of the world (excluding certain TV talking heads and politicians), still regards this as a serious issue with potentially devastating consequences.
Thanks, I had to go look that one up, had not heard of the term "high consequence infectious disease" before, but the complete definition of and list of what infectious diseases are classified by the UK that way is found here. High consequence infectious diseases (HCID) Based on their criteria of what is an HCID, one of which is high mortality rate, such as Ebola, their decision to not to consider COVID 19 an HCID makes sense. This is not Ebola, not even close in terms of mortality. But the nomenclature of the disease has no Rumplestiltzkin effect, where what we call it or not somehow changes what it is. As of this AM, its still rapidly spreading and still has a non HCID mortality rate of 1.5 percent in the US, (4.5 percent world wide) and a 12% hospitalization rate. We have 327 million in the US. Pick a number that gets infected over the course of the next few months, say 11 percent like seasonal flu or 20% or higher more in line with the speed it can propagate and basic measures to limit its spread but not the most aggressive .Its basic math, anyone can run the numbers out,. Even at low non HCID mortality rate, these numbers that wll be hospitalized and those that perish are still very disturbing.

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
Just clicked on the link provided, and from what I saw, the UK still regards Covid-19 a major health crisis.

View attachment 581981

This was a screen shot from the link just now (midnight PST). There is a lot more information on this site that states the UK, and the rest of the world (excluding certain TV talking heads and politicians), still regards this as a serious issue with potentially devastating consequences.
Umm no, they don't, what you posted was safety recommendations. Nowhere does it state that they consider it a major health crisis. I copy pasted exactly what it said, but here it is again..

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCIDgroup made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID."

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
Facts matter-
0003% of the population died from something that, according to math, is infecting at least 400,000 people right now( We estimate 86% of all infections were undocumented https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abb3221). Hundreds of thousands have already likely recovered and remained undocumented as well.

That's a 0.259% overall fatality rate if you don't even count recovered and never counted cases, almost all of which are 75+ years old. Truly devastating.

CDC estimates for this flu season (which we're still in for a few more weeks) is 27,000-56,000 deaths with 250,000-710,000 hospilizations

·
Registered
524 Posts
There was a brief welcome dip in the number of new cases nationally over the past week. I noticed it in Florida as the FDOH compares the period March 15 to March 22 to the preceding week, and nationally there was a dip around March 21-22. Since then the numbers are increasing. View attachment 581985

View attachment 581986
Source: United States Coronavirus: 68,573 Cases and 1,036 Deaths - Worldometer
And the numbers are going to continue to increase - dramatically - as we expand testing. I can't believe that anyone didn't see that coming. I fully expect that by the end of March we have seen over 150-200,000 infected.

Look, if you (I mean the collective you, not intending to predict your personal plan, LYCOMING) want to lock yourself up until whenever it's safe to go outside again, please, be my guest. Me, I'm headed to visit my daughter in Fla. in April. My expectation is that I'll have a much higher chance of getting hurt or dying from an accident on I-95 than it will be from the Wuhan Virus. After all, I only wear a half helmet and it could be warm enough for just a t-shirt for much of the trip.

Oh, and, I'm not worried about either one or would be trading my Dark Horse in on a Chevy Subdivision.

BD

·
Founding member
718 Posts
Big Dog, my view exactly, and bring plenty of t-shirts.

·
Bronze member
1,379 Posts

I’m just happy (said glad, happy was more like it) to have a seemingly normal Spring day at the park.
Actually the only unusual thing is that it looked more like a weekend instead of a weekday.

·
Bronze member
1,379 Posts

My younger sister showed me this.
A little humor to help things.
She works with an eye surgeon and just found out they had a patient last Friday who tested positive for COVID-19.
She had been getting very upset about people not adhering to rules about social distancing or ignoring orders in Washington state where she lives.

She’s very healthy so I’m not worried. However we lost our older sister to a simple yellow jacket sting back in 1998. She was hospitalized for three weeks before she passed away.

We realize the concerns, all of us have to get through this.

·
Bronze member
2,160 Posts
For those with the high-level flat-earther/anti-vaxxer attitudes towards the Covid-19 issue, this will probably bum them out (the 40% in the poll) but for the rest, it might be of some help.

·
Bronze member
1,520 Posts
No, not bummed, not bummed at all. Just got back from a nice ride to the CVS and and took the loooooong way back. You enjoy the lockdown.
BD
Locally we have a stay at home order that went into effect last night. I celebrated by riding 250 miles to the VA cemetery to visit my parents. I visit every year during the wreaths across America ride but couldn’t make it last year so thought this would be a good time to go. Paid respects to my in laws who are also interned there. I took great lengths to keep socially distant from everyone.

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
  1. For those with the high-level flat-earther/anti-vaxxer attitudes towards the Covid-19 issue, this will probably bum them out (the 40% in the poll) but for the rest, it might be of some help.

1. You understand the fact that the tests being implemented are showing positive for all strands of Coronavirus, not just the 19..you get that right..?You understand that most everyone has some form of Coronavirus throughout the year..right..?
Btw..The Bible had always stated the earth was a sphere...

Educate yourself

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
I'm wondering if this guy understands ...
Pandemic Press Conference - Trump's Quote of the Day: "This ... whatever they want to call it, you can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

Actually, we call it the Coronavirus, because IT'S A VIRUS. WE KNOW WHAT IT IS!
And he's making the decisions for our health.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,891 Posts
I'm wondering if this guy understands ...
Pandemic Press Conference - Trump's Quote of the Day: "This ... whatever they want to call it, you can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus. You can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

Actually, we call it the Coronavirus, because IT'S A VIRUS. WE KNOW WHAT IT IS!
And he's making the decisions for our health.
Remember when he said the numbers were going down smh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
1.) Omg Trump is horrible we aren’t testing enough!!!

2.) Omg now that we’re testing more than anyone else we’re finding more infections than anyone else!!

3.) ??

·
Rider
495 Posts
Deaths from flu are about .1%. Deaths from corona virus are somewhere between 2-3%. That is 20-30 times more deadly than the flu, and it is twice as contagious. Don’t need to be a math whiz to see why it’s a different level of threat.
That;s exactly correct, people don't seem to be able to wrap their minds around the fact that this virus is not the normal seasonal flu virus, all they need to do is look around them, most states including Montana where I live are now in a lock down/stay at home situations and their schools, businesses, and churches are shuttered, see what the fall out is now, we are not out of the woods yet so to speak...I think it's going to be September or later before all lock downs are lifted

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
1.) Omg Trump is horrible we aren’t testing enough!!!

2.) Omg now that we’re testing more than anyone else we’re finding more infections than anyone else!!

3.) ??
Who said anything about testing? But now that you bring it up, why are we just now doing more testing than anyone else? We've also got six times as many people as South Korea ... why weren't we testing/tracking/acting on 6x as many people a month ago?

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
Remember when he said the numbers were going down smh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
One month (and 100,000 people) ago yesterday ... “when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”
Edit: Just realized you were talking about BS ... thought you meant T. BS&T - there's a good joke in there somewhere. :)

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
Who said anything about testing? But now that you bring it up, why are we just now doing more testing than anyone else? We've also got six times as many people as South Korea ... why weren't we testing/tracking/acting on 6x as many people a month ago?
-Banned travel from China so early Dems called him a racist
-Banned travel from Europe early enough that he was still criticized for it
-Mobilized both of our hospital ships to assist NYC and WA
-Muscled relief bills through congress
-Is eliminating red tape for treatments and vaccines left and right
-Is constructing FEMA Hospitals in NYC to handle their case load
-Mobilized the DPA to get testing, PPE, and ventilators produced

Trump's doing such a great job that the US has 1/3 the number of cases Europe does and 1/3 the death rate.

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
To answer your question,
because early on when we had 15 cases we knew where all of them had come from and who they all were. Want to know why the Corona epicenter is NY and not LA? Because Trump shut down travel from China, and the infection source for most of our cases is European travel.

He shut down all air travel at the end of January and they called him a racist. Why? Because there were no indications that this was going to be a pandemic, or even that the cases from China were a threat.

We still don't know how many people on Earth have the virus, how many have died as a result of the virus, etc. We do know that Trump has mobilized the full force of the Federal government weeks ahead of when his counterparts in Europe began doing so in the course of their infections.

161 - 180 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.