Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think of our country's reaction to the coronavirus situation?

• I feel not enough is being done.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • I feel more should be done, but I'm okay with the current response.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I feel the response has been appropriate.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I feel the response has been excessive, but I can live with it.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I feel the response has been excessive and fueled by panic.

Votes: 51 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 320 Posts

·
Rider
347 Posts
I think for the time being we push politics aside. The virus cares nothing knows nothing about who looks good bad or indifferent. There will be a time to have that conversation and sort it out, but now, this is all hands on deck, everyone pay attention do the right thing moment in history, for which history will judge us. Debate about the accuracy of factual material, reliability of prediction models and efficacy of measures to mitigate and reduce are fair and reasonable, but, as the numbers grow, the hospitals fill, and the death toll rises, I think the relaibility of the information is becoming more concrete and the range of potential outcomes is narrowing. We have a pretty good idea where this headed give we do A, B, or C. For now, our individual responsibilties are to follow the advice of the best people there are, obey local laws as they are implemented, conduct ourselves with dignity, and where appropriate, make ourselves available to our communities and nation as it needs may call on us to do.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think for the time being we push politics aside. The virus cares nothing knows nothing about who looks good bad or indifferent. There will be a time to have that conversation and sort it out, but now, this is all hands on deck, everyone pay attention do the right thing moment in history, for which history will judge us. Debate about the accuracy of factual material, reliability of prediction models and efficacy of measures to mitigate and reduce are fair and reasonable, but, as the numbers grow, the hospitals fill, and the death toll rises, I think the relaibility of the information is becoming more concrete and the range of potential outcomes is narrowing. We have a pretty good idea where this headed give we do A, B, or C. For now, our individual responsibilties are to follow the advice of the best people there are, obey local laws as they are implemented, conduct ourselves with dignity, and where appropriate, make ourselves available to our communities and nation as it needs may call on us to do.
Well said.
And poor NYC.
Hope it goes as good as it can for the folks there.

·
Bronze member
2,631 Posts
It's crazy out there,and now I have to do the shopping.
Just yesterday she says ,"pick up a gallon of milk,and if they have avacados,pick me up four"
So I come home and she says,
"Why did you get four gallons of milk?"
I said "they had avacados"

·
Diamond member
8,471 Posts
It's crazy out there,and now I have to do the shopping.
Just yesterday she says ,"pick up a gallon of milk,and if they have avacados,pick me up four"
So I come home and she says,
"Why did you get four gallons of milk?"
I said "they had avacados"
Ha!

·
Bronze member
2,797 Posts
It sounds like a lot of members on here are on board with government control quarantine..is that correct?

Just for the record, POTUS left it up to the states.

When we have a gov't that is operating contrary to its singular sole purpose of existence, which is NOT to ensure that I am Virus free, it's singular sole purpose of gov't is to secure the rights of the individual. There is absolutely no other reason for government to exsist. Everything else, I can do by myself, including "self quarantine". The more laws & regulations you have, the less self governance you are allowed. This virus did not create our current reality, panic created our current reality. Yes, we should be wise & reasonable, but panic does absolutely nothing to help despite Don Lemmons intentions. We have to lock down the entire population because some people are sick? Sorry, I can't get behind that. The utter disregard for due process & the rights of the people is astonishing. If you have a criminal running around the neighborhood breaking into cars, do we have to put the entire town under house arrest now so that we can ensure no one is robbing vehicles? This makes zero sense. We have sick people that won't govern themselves.
If you are sick, if you feel you are at risk, quarantine yourself, but you do not have a right to infringe on my rights. Btw, the common yearly flu STILL kills more people daily than CCP Corona.

How do you orchestrate a better scenario to make people enslave themselves?

If nothing else, this "pandemic" has exposed the inattention of the public when it comes to the erosion of our rights in a perceived threat

·
Senior Member / gold
6,668 Posts
It sounds like a lot of members on here are on board with government control quarantine..is that correct?

When we have a gov't that is operating contrary to its singular sole purpose of existence, which is NOT to ensure that I am Virus free, it's singular sole purpose of gov't is to secure the rights of the individual. There is absolutely no other reason for government to exsist. Everything else, I can do by myself, including "self quarantine". The more laws & regulations you have, the less self governance you are allowed. This virus did not create our current reality, panic created our current reality. Yes, we should be wise & reasonable, but panic does absolutely nothing to help despite Don Lemmons intentions. We have to lock down the entire population because some people are sick? Sorry, I can't get behind that. The utter disregard for due process & the rights of the people is astonishing. If you have a criminal running around the neighborhood breaking into cars, do we have to put the entire town under house arrest now so that we can ensure no one is robbing vehicles? This makes zero sense. We have sick people that won't govern themselves.
If you are sick, if you feel you are at risk, quarantine yourself, but you do not have a right to infringe on my rights. Btw, the common yearly flu STILL kills more people daily than CCP Corona.

If nothing else, this "pandemic" has exposed the inattention of the public when it comes to the erosion of our rights in a perceived threat
A lot of words, and thankfully only one mans opinion.

Anyone else got a soapbox to stand on?

·
Bronze member
2,797 Posts
A lot of words, and thankfully only one mans opinion.

Anyone else got a soapbox to stand on?
Lol @ soapbox.
  • You don't want to self quarantine yourself, cool, but let's not pretend it's the governments job to force others to.
"thankfully only one mans opinion."...

Benjamin Franklin- "Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Looks like I'm not the only one with that opinion.

·
Rider
707 Posts

I am not from USA, nor do live there, so will not dare to judge or comment on your "rights in a perceived threat", except to generally observe that rights of any kind are precious and well worth fighting for.

A significant concern, IMHO, with where ya'all are today is that the 'POTUS' rhetoric seems to have quickly moved to optimism. Listening to him recently, you would think Americans' worst coronavirus days are behind them. However, almost all of the scientific experts, and what seems to be practically all of the larger states' Governors, are talking and acting as though the worst days are just around the corner.

'Someone' has it dramatically wrong - time will tell . . .

·
Bronze member
2,797 Posts
I am not from USA, nor do live there, so will not dare to judge or comment on your "rights in a perceived threat", except to generally observe that rights of any kind are precious and well worth fighting for.

A significant concern, IMHO, with where ya'all are today is that the 'POTUS' rhetoric seems to have quickly moved to optimism. Listening to him recently, you would think Americans' worst coronavirus days are behind them. However, almost all of the scientific experts, and what seems to be practically all of the larger states' Governors, are talking and acting as though the worst days are just around the corner.

I love the doom and gloom leftists on this forum. Truth is, I don't see it getting worse.
As the graph I posted indicates.

Hell, I went to the grocery store today, and it wasn't as busy as it was this weekend. The meat section was packed, and they even had stacks of toilet paper. I know the manager & he said the hysteria is finally dying down.

I know they want to say "Millions of Americans are going to die," but let's be honest, it's not gonna happen, when this is all over, the worldwide death toll might, might be a few hundred thousand.

CDC has US influenza deaths at estimated 23k-59k so far this season with 390k-710k estimated hospitalizations

·
Rider
347 Posts

I hope y'all down under come through this well. Just a month or so ago Australia was on fire and needs to deal with an epic pandemic this month like a 3 am drunk in a two star bordello needs another drink.

·
Bronze member
1,286 Posts
Damn, the quote disappeared!
404 - quote not found
Yeah but we are bloody island natural isolation and they didn't use it for weeks

I live in WA which is further isolated by 3 massive deserts from the rest of the country and yet for weeks they ummed and ahhed about closing the border
if they had done it back then there wouldn't be the panic now

over east they let 4000-odd people get off a cruise ship and just go wandering out into the city and then realised oh shit some of them tested positive, now they gotta go find the buggers
Why? the cruise ship is a natural isolation point keep thrm in there for 14 days

An acquaintance of mine is starting to think this delay in action is deliberate because the biggest drain on most Western countries is a health system and the biggest users are the long term sick and the elderly who are also the people most likely to be knocked off by covid-19. Not so much orchestrated from the start but just a possible tragedy being utilised for government benefit... let's face it it's not new we can't trust our bloody governments

having said that didn't I read somewhere that the covid-19 test in America cost $3,600? come on guys time for a little govt/social support in that area.

·
Rider
707 Posts
I love the doom and gloom leftists on this forum. Truth is, I don't see it getting worse.
As the graph I posted indicates.

Hell, I went to the grocery store today, and it wasn't as busy as it was this weekend. The meat section was packed, and they even had stacks of toilet paper. I know the manager & he said the hysteria is finally dying down.

I know they want to say "Millions of Americans are going to die," but let's be honest, it's not gonna happen, when this is all over, the worldwide death toll might, might be a few hundred thousand.

CDC has US influenza deaths at estimated 23k-59k so far this season with 390k-710k estimated hospitalizations
@BoySCOUT - I tried to keep my post politically neutral and I deliberately did not take sides. Although it is abundantly clear that someone has got their forward estimates wrong, I didn't say who.

However, I do take umbrage at being called a 'leftist' sprouting 'doom and gloom'. I am neither left leaning, nor a pessimist.

On the other hand, you seem to have made your mind up about where this virus is heading. I am not sure the good people in NYC agree with you atm.

Only time will tell, as I would suggest that neither you or I (or anyone really) has the capacity to determine its final outcome.

·
Bronze member
2,797 Posts
@BoySCOUT - I tried to keep my post politically neutral and I deliberately did not take sides. Although it is abundantly clear that someone has got their forward estimates wrong, I didn't say who.

However, I do take umbrage at being called a 'leftist' sprouting 'doom and gloom'. I am neither left leaning, nor a pessimist.

On the other hand, you seem to have made your mind up about where this virus is heading. I am not sure the good people in NYC agree with you atm.

Only time will tell, as I would suggest that neither you or I (or anyone really) have the capacity to determine its final outcome.
I was not referring to you as a leftist, I apologize if I offended.
Last I checked NY is running test trials for CQ..

In other news..

Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCIDgroup made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was not referring to you as a leftist, I apologize if I offended.
Last I checked NY is running test trials for CQ..

In other news..

Status of COVID-19
As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCIDgroup made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.
Just clicked on the link provided, and from what I saw, the UK still regards Covid-19 a major health crisis.

This was a screen shot from the link just now (midnight PST). There is a lot more information on this site that states the UK, and the rest of the world (excluding certain TV talking heads and politicians), still regards this as a serious issue with potentially devastating consequences.

·
Diamond member
8,471 Posts
Yeah but we are bloody island natural isolation and they didn't use it for weeks

I live in WA which is further isolated by 3 massive deserts from the rest of the country and yet for weeks they ummed and ahhed about closing the border
if they had done it back then there wouldn't be the panic now

over east they let 4000-odd people get off a cruise ship and just go wandering out into the city and then realised oh shit some of them tested positive, now they gotta go find the buggers
Why? the cruise ship is a natural isolation point keep thrm in there for 14 days

An acquaintance of mine is starting to think this delay in action is deliberate because the biggest drain on most Western countries is a health system and the biggest users are the long term sick and the elderly who are also the people most likely to be knocked off by covid-19. Not so much orchestrated from the start but just a possible tragedy being utilised for government benefit... let's face it it's not new we can't trust our bloody governments

having said that didn't I read somewhere that the covid-19 test in America cost $3,600? come on guys time for a little govt/social support in that area.
They are free or waived.
we are working on a $2.5 trillion dollar Bill (legislation) that is supposed to go to cover out of work workers lost wages, medical expenses and in support of business's that were forced to close.

A common misconception by those abroad and even (especially) here that's had about our medical system is that we have no public support. We do. It's just not "handed to us" at the get go. We must fill out paperwork and make phone calls to attain assistant case by case.
I've spent most of my life with out insurance. I am a reckless clown with many incidents, and with afflictions given the by nature.
I negotiated payments in some cases, other times filled out paperwork and always negotiated payments I could afford. Even though I have scoliosis, arthritis, a heart condition and have fallen victim to a many failed "hold my beer" event's,, I have zero medical debt. And great credit.
I'm just the guy that when I get a $1600 Bill for 4 stitches that took 20 minutes, I tell them their nuts and work them down to a reasonable 400, I then set up payments for that revised fee (or just pay it if I was able)... sure sometimes they lodge empty threats, but after 3-4 months of telling them they are nuts and won't get a single dollar until they come back to earth,, they cave and gladly take my earth money.
Far to Many here do not realize that
1. You can negotiate.
2. When you can't or if it's astronomical in cost, there is assistant available if one takes initiatives to procure it.
3. We have a hybrid system of private, and public health care. (The later requires initiative)
4. We have rights and protections concerning medical finances.

No it's not perfect, it's far from perfect, just like all systems.
it's just not as doom and gloom of a system as many make it seem.
We Americans tend to have a "Forest form the trees" problem in some cases, and a lack of knowledge, or initiative in others regarding our health care..

·
Registered
429 Posts

Well stated, thank you...

141 - 160 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.