Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think of our country's reaction to the coronavirus situation?

• I feel not enough is being done.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • I feel more should be done, but I'm okay with the current response.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I feel the response has been appropriate.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I feel the response has been excessive, but I can live with it.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I feel the response has been excessive and fueled by panic.

Votes: 51 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 320 Posts

·
Silver member
3,142 Posts
You forgot the part about those medical people getting richer and richer,and the general public,if they survive,getting poorer and poorer!!
We reap what we sow in life....
Considering the cost of their education and their cost of doing business I don't care how rich they get. I just hope they can save my worthless ass from die'n when I get sick or injured (y)

·
Rider
348 Posts
You forgot the part about those medical people getting richer and richer,and the general public,if they survive,getting poorer and poorer!!
Fair enough, but not well known is the fact that what they call "residents" get paid squat. Most of the nurses they will work with will make more than they do .Take my Dr Kid's salary in the lab coat, nice shoes and badge with MD on it, and divide the paycheck by 80 hours a week, and its enough for a car insurance a few meals out (I guess they will be saving that) and a studio apartment and not much else. Hospitals work them to exhaustion .. and they have to do it for three or four years mandatory. Now, after that, well, I guess it all starts to be worth it. Hope so.

·
Bronze member
2,160 Posts
View attachment 581482

I'm not saying this is the best scenario, but what do you think of the notion that if we were all allowed to get exposed as fast as possible, it would be over sooner. By "flattening the curve", it lowers the case rate, but prolongs the virus within the population since not everyone's been exposed. Most states have informed their citizens to limit/avoid public gatherings...people are not listening. Beaches were still packed (those that were open) I live on a golf course..it was packed, waiting in line at the grocery store..packed, all best efforts, people in general are not going to listen.
Thoughts..?
If the country went with the above, "get it over with" scenario and your wife got sick and she was not be able to get needed care because the hospitals were overun, would you be up for that scenario?

·
Bronze member
2,105 Posts
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I had to take the wife to the airport at 5AM today so she could fly down to Florida where her sister, who passed away a year and a half ago, left her condo to the wife.It's located in the Tampa Bay area right on the Gulf Coast.Now you wouldn't wanna make me happy,would ya, talkin about all this death down there????????????? lol lol lol lol Dave!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,892 Posts
If the country went with the above, "get it over with" scenario and your wife got sick and she was not be able to get needed care because the hospitals were overun, would you be up for that scenario?
Good point !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,160 Posts
If they are cutting a check for 2to3 TRILLION $$, $$$,$$$$, $$$$$, $$$$$$, you bet I’d be bellying up to the trough...opportunity like this only happens maybe once in 3 lifetimes.
Actually it happened, - twice not that long ago.

The S&L bailouts and the big bank bailouts.

On both of those the overight was very lax and the funds just evaporated into the Wall St. corporations.

In the big bank bailout, some "save us or we will fail" banks, issued executives multi-million $$ bonus checks as soon as they got the funds. Even though on paper they had made no money to justify bonuses.

The Dems are trying to put oversight on the dispersion of the funds this time so it doesn't happen again. The Repubs are pushing for little oversight and trying to ram it through as-is.

(kinda thinking, hoping, you are being sarcastic with your belly up comment above)

·
Bronze member
2,160 Posts
not important at all... until the Country that buys our treasury bonds wants their money... then the crap will hit the fan... one book (fiction) that is good is Brad Thor's "Act of War".. it's about China and all the money they want to collect... and a certain president gave them collateral in the form of US Federal lands... anyway read it if you can as long as you have time..
That is probably inspired by the Chinese and their loaning (I think it was Columbia) money with land as collateral.

Long story short, they couldn’t pay back the loan and so now China owns the Galápagos Islands.

·
Founding member
1,839 Posts
My 34 y.o. son in KC was scheduled for out-patient laparoscopic surgery (discectomy) this Friday for two herniated discs ... constant pain whether upright/sitting/sleeping. Got a call today that it has been postponed until April 6th because they are conserving medical supplies. Hospitals here aren't even close to getting slammed (yet), but I'm almost certain that he won't have that surgery next month either.

This country stockpiles huge quantities of weapons/ammo for security purposes, but are we smart enough to stockpile masks/gowns/ventilators for security from medical events? It's not like we haven't had pandemics before .... smh

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yup. Been hearing about that all my life, and if you go back to the 60s Reagan's speech "a time to choose" was fundamentally all about it.. how ever, I now wonder if "deficit" is even a relevant concern now days when our money is no longer backed by a finite tangible like gold, rather than it being backed by "speculation" (simple term) as its been since the 70s
Speculation is an infinite resource.
Gold is not..
So I've wondered about the concept of the importance either way of "deficit spending"
I know, I know. Wish I had more gold . . . .

BD

·
Registered
524 Posts
My 34 y.o. son in KC was scheduled for out-patient laparoscopic surgery (discectomy) this Friday for two herniated discs ... constant pain whether upright/sitting/sleeping. Got a call today that it has been postponed until April 6th because they are conserving medical supplies. Hospitals here aren't even close to getting slammed (yet), but I'm almost certain that he won't have that surgery next month either.

This country stockpiles huge quantities of weapons/ammo for security purposes, but are we smart enough to stockpile masks/gowns/ventilators for security from medical events? It's not like we haven't had pandemics before .... smh
Very sorry to hear about your son. I'm having to delay hernia surgery myself, probably into the fall.

BD

·
Banned
2,788 Posts
That could easily happen either way. Someone has to go out & get groceries, I still need to work as my job is essential, I could come home with it..that's the point.

Since we both stated taking supplements years ago, neither one of us has been sick in a very, very long time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Actually it happened, - twice not that long ago.

The S&L bailouts and the big bank bailouts. . . . . . . . .

The Dems are trying to put oversight on the dispersion of the funds this time so it doesn't happen again. The Repubs are pushing for little oversight and trying to ram it through as-is.

(kinda thinking, hoping, you are being sarcastic with your belly up comment above)
That's exactly right. All those incentives for new wind and solar will certainly make sure that no funds vanish (Solyndra anyone).

Yes, and hitting the airlines with a 50% reduction in carbon in five years will certainly save lives since they likely will go out of business and that will dramatically restrict travel. Now that will certainly slow down future pandemics. I didn't notice, maybe you did, does the same apply to Al Gore's, Bernie's, and DeCaprio's private jets?)

Not sure what expanding the power of Unions will do, but I'm sure Jim Cyburn, of the great metropolis of Sumpter , SC, can explain it to us all.

I'm not foolish enough to think that there isn't some excess of the right side of the equation, but pa-leese . . .

BD

·
Bronze member
2,086 Posts
That's exactly right. All those incentives for new wind and solar will certainly make sure that no funds vanish (Solyndra anyone).

Yes, and hitting the airlines with a 50% reduction in carbon in five years will certainly save lives since they likely will go out of business and that will dramatically restrict travel. Now that will certainly slow down future pandemics. I didn't notice, maybe you did, does the same apply to Al Gore's, Bernie's, and DeCaprio's private jets?)

Not sure what expanding the power of Unions will do, but I'm sure Jim Cyburn, of the great metropolis of Sumpter , SC, can explain it to us all.

I'm not foolish enough to think that there isn't some excess of the right side of the equation, but pa-leese . . .

BD
(y)

·
Bronze member
2,160 Posts
chilis.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,069 Posts
I have to say the minor inconvenience of social distancing, closing bars, restaurants, and sporting events and ending up with a little egg on your face because of over reacting is very mellow compared to 25,000 deaths. Two or three weeks of self isolation if you catch it early, months if you’re playing catch up.

·
Diamond member
8,487 Posts
It hurts my head such low resolution thinking... (not you WD, but this "Carl mark")
1. It was warned of because it will always come to that choice when push comes to shove. Always.
That's the nature of money/ life/ death. Unfortunately, even we become "death panels" when we are faced with certain things when we act as "power of attorney" to say a family member.. so Ya, they warned of government taking over that inevitable roll.
2. the situational difference.
right now is one awful scenario that was forced upon us by nature. The other voted for..

GARGANTUAN difference...
It's one thing to be forced into something awful, it's a whole other thing to vote for it..

·
Bronze member
2,520 Posts
That is probably inspired by the Chinese and their loaning (I think it was Columbia) money with land as collateral.

Long story short, they couldn’t pay back the loan and so now China owns the Galápagos Islands.
we almost did it to Mexico... when they were going into default before the IMF stepped in... the gov't was going to bail them out with Baja as collateral... they really didn't want to but couldn't justify to the American tax payer doing it without something in return if they couldn't pay it back... and everyone knew they couldn't pay it back... then the IMF stepped in and bailed them out.. we didn't want to set the precedence... I'm sure now it has been set like you say with China... and I wouldn't be surprised if we did have land out as collateral on all our loans.. this new debt we acquired is going to cost something.. nothing in life is free.. we just don't know what it is yet..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am stupefied to read that medical and scientific experts, who have created life saving treatments and disease killing vaccines over many decades, are being pushed to the side by pundits who only desire to hear themselves talk and politicians who only care about their “image” and re-election.

If I develop cancer, who do I want treating me? A politician worried about keeping numbers low and how this makes him look, or a trained medical expert who has spent years gaining knowledge and expertise - and readily consults with other experts in the field? If I get Lou Gehrig’s Disease, do I call up the talking head at the network who claims to know more than the experts to figure out how to treat it?

Is it possible that the current situation is less dire than the experts are stating? Yes, of course it is possible. This is new, uncharted waters we are sailing in. But it is totally within the realm of possibilities that it is as potentially serious as they claim. (Do note that the experts say this is a winnable situation; none of them are running around, like certain segments of the civilian population, claiming this is the end of civilization.) We are not betting on the outcome of the Super Bowl - we are talking about human lives. Lives of people we know and care for, lives that matter, lives that are immeasurably valuable.

I don’t want to play Russian roulette with the lives of the people I know and love. And I sure as hell am not turning my life, or their lives, over to politicians and pundits who only care about their image, their numbers, and the sound of their voice.

121 - 140 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.