Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

What do you think of our country's reaction to the coronavirus situation?

• I feel not enough is being done.

Votes: 27 19.4%
  • I feel more should be done, but I'm okay with the current response.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I feel the response has been appropriate.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I feel the response has been excessive, but I can live with it.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I feel the response has been excessive and fueled by panic.

Votes: 51 36.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
I believe this whole thing will be a lesson learned about what to do and what not to do for future events.

I think what should have been done was isolate the most vulnerable people. The idea of quarantining everyone is probably beyond what is needed. There needs to be a more realistic method. Something that allows for the general population of healthy people to continue as normal.

Here’s a sobering graphic from CDC which is simply about the past decade of influenza related cases, the yearly numbers. Compare this to what becomes of COVID-19 later on for future reference, because unless there’s a drastic increase in cases it’s a mere drop in the bucket.

Or I guess one could say the measures taken against it might’ve actually made the difference. Only time will tell.

I forgot to say this is just the US not worldwide.

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
Current status of confirmed cases and mortality rate varies greatly across the world.

US 72:1
France 27:1
Italy 12:1

Since this poll question was about the US I would still say excessive fear is a major factor.
The numbers just don’t seem to come close to comparing to yearly influenza deaths.
At least not for “hospitalizations” if using that instead of “illnesses”.
I can’t be sure I’m figuring any of this correctly.
And I’m just some guy on the Internet!
:sneaky:;)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
My feeling is that there are certainly many, many more infections than being reported due to lack of widespread testing. Most will recover never having known they were infected. This greatly overstates the fatality rate, making the virus appear much more deadly that is actually the case - and fuels unnecessary panic. Clearly, some segments of the population are at great risk and should take appropriate precautions. I just don't believe that locking down entire states, closing most private businesses, and putting so many out of work is the answer. What's next - martial law?

Just my 2 cents. Be safe.

·
Rider
347 Posts
For sure, panic serves no ones interest, but neither does underestimating or being dismissive of what is happening, what is needed are facts and the best scientific/technical forecasts available. There are three big questions in my view, these being what percentage of the population can be infected, what percentage of those can die from it, and what percentage of those infected will find themselves struggling to breath and have to be hospitalized for a week or better.

If you say, well the number of people infected will be about the same as seasonal flow, then from the post above, mid range of the number of cases 2017-2018 above is 27 million, or 8.3% of the US population. This virus however is extremely aggressive, March 6 we had in the US we had around 250 cases. Just over two weeks later its 19,624. (And as widely reported, with the shortage of testing kits and rationing the number of tests given by severity, the actual number of cases is in all likelihood is much higher. As that situation gets worked out, the numbers surely will climb). Both international and US scientific models have been developed to come up with forecasts over what percentage of the population will be infected where and how fast, depending on what we do to contain it (will PM links to those interested). Graphics below kind of show percent infected by county by July 1, depending on what measures are taken now to halt its spread. Which scenario will it be? My guess is more like the middle one, perhaps overall the national rate of infection can be kept below 20% as the number grows, the seriousness of all this really starts to sink in . In this country that would be 65 million.

Death rate, in the US as of this AM is 1.1%. World wide its 3.9%. The theory on the difference is where the number of cases needing hospitalization can still be handled by our hospitals, we can keep enough of the sick breathing so that they don't die. That likely will change as the case load goes up. Call it 2% death rate if you like. Put it altogether and take 2% of 20% of the US population and you have 1.3 million dead, 1 in 250 Americans. Individually those are much better odds than say, Russian Roulette. But what I personally am concerned with is the likelihood of I or are someone close I care about ending up on a gurney in an overcrowded hospital suffocating , while some exhausted first year Resident has to make a triage call. Below age 50, the odds of hospitalization are not too bad if you get infected, 50-59 its 10.2%. 60-69 its 16.6%, 70-79 is 24.3% (Source: London Imperial College of Medicine). Add those up and run the numbers out, and over the course of this thing, and you get a staggering 40 million Americans needing hospitalization, thats 1 in 8.

Now, thats the bad news The good news is that while this virus is highly contagious, its actually not that tough. It does not survive long in water, it can hang out on surfaces for a few hours, some longer than others, but it falls apart if it can't get a new host to infect. The bastard is airborne too, but it can't survive long in air, and evidence indicates as humidity goes up, it starts to fall apart. Like all viruses, since it cant reproduce on its own and has to infect a living complete cell and inject its genetic material into it, if you stop it, it will die and cease to propagate.
My take therefore, this beast is not phahcking around, and neither we should we. God Bless and Good Luck to all.

·
Senior Member / gold
6,668 Posts
If this Covid is having the same impact as seasonal flu, why is there such a massive shortage of medical equipment needed to both treat the infected and protect the healthcare providers? There seems to be a much more aggressive nature to this virus that has the potential to greatly overwhelm the medical services. Look at Italy, pages and pages of obituaries, and reports of the dead not even getting proper funeral services...when have anyone of us heard anything like this in modern times?

·
Bronze member
1,915 Posts
This is not an overreaction. COVID 19 is two to three times more deadly than the flu and is much more contagious. The virus can live for days outside the body. I just read it took three months to have 100,000 cases and in 12 days we’ve added another 100,000. Anyone not taking this seriously is the problem.

·
Bronze Member
2,011 Posts
If this crisis will peter out later this summer and people think what the hell did we get so crazy about, down the road when something comes along that is really serious
a lot of folks are going to say you cried wolf once we are not going to believe you again. That is something to govt. is going to have to consider.

·
Rider
347 Posts
If this crisis will peter out later this summer and people think what the hell did we get so crazy about, down the road when something comes along that is really serious
a lot of folks are going to say you cried wolf once we are not going to believe you again. That is something to govt. is going to have to consider.
A reasonable point of view to be sure. But thats exactly where i would like to see us in August. The beast weakened to nothing and us all debating what worked, what was overkill. Rather than the alternative. And thats excatly what we need for the next pandemic.

·
Bronze member
2,842 Posts
Yep it will subside this summer and fire back up with a vengeance until a Vaccine is found, which is still a year at best away.

Remember of the story of the little boy who cried wolf? The media has been crying wolf for years. And now that the Wolf has finally showed up, nobody is listening.

Italy had many of the same thoughts as many here did (hype, blown out of proportion, etc) and now they have more deaths than china and its getting worse.

·
Bronze member
2,842 Posts
I really hope it subsides in the summer heat in time for Sturgis...fingers crossed. If they cancel Sturgis, then we will know for sure this is truely bad.

I would almost guarantee Sturgis is canceled, they just don't know it yet. Until a Vaccine is found public gatherings are not going to be encouraged.

·
Bronze member
2,867 Posts
The biggest problem is that we are dealing with unknowns in so many different areas that are effected by this . So no one knows absolutely how to proceed under those circumstances . I do think because we do not know with any degree of certainty all the variables it is good to isolate socially for the 2 weeks , see how it affects the situation and then re-group .

1 - 20 of 320 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.