Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, tried to cut and paste a poll I found on the HD forums about who would switch from HD to Indian.

About 21% said yes

About 39% said No

the rest were undecided or wanted one of each

Thought it was interesting how many HD riders are actually thinking about it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe if polaris through a war bonnet emblem on the side of there victorys, you would pretty much get the same result..(Not Everyone) but a lot of that crowd buy namesake only..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually started that poll on the HD Forum last night. The mods over there started locking down all the Indian threads, but then came to their senses and merged a bunch of threads and the poll into one mega Indian thread.
The way I read the results so far, approximately 65% of folks on the HD Form (most of them are currently Harley riders) are considering the purchase of a new indian. That's a staggering percentage of potential Harley customers. Granted so far the poll only has about 200 participants, but that's a pretty good start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I saw that the thread was huge, something like 675 posts so far??

Will be interesting to see the poll results in another week!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think Polaris might be lickin their chops? If only 10% MAKE the change, will there be enough to go around in the near future? Probably not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15661 said:
Think Polaris might be lickin their chops? If only 10% MAKE the change, will there be enough to go around in the near future? Probably not.
If Indian takes 5-10% of Harleys market share in the first few years that would be a huge accomplishment. We are living in a very exciting time where motorcycle history is on the verge of changing. It's a fantastic time to be a motorcycle rider and the next few years hold a lot of promise for us all. I have no doubt that Harley will now up their game and make a better product to compete with Indian. Hopefully, Polaris will not let Victory rest on its laurels and will continue to improve our beloved Victory brand as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that demand will exceed Indian's manufacturing capabilities for a while.

The worst thing Polaris/Victory/Indian could do would be to overextend themselves (get greedy) and start letting their quality control go down in order to keep up with demand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
699 said:
OK, tried to cut and paste a poll I found on the HD forums about who would switch from HD to Indian.

About 21% said yes

About 39% said No

the rest were undecided or wanted one of each

Thought it was interesting how many HD riders are actually thinking about it
Here's the link: <a href='http://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-topic/896652-the-official-indian-mega-thread-poll-70.html' target='_self'>http://www.hdforums.com/forum/off-topic/896652-the-official-indian-mega-thread-poll-70.html</a>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4360 said:
I believe that demand will exceed Indian's manufacturing capabilities for a while.

The worst thing Polaris/Victory/Indian could do would be to overextend themselves (get greedy) and start letting their quality control go down in order to keep up with demand.

Hopefully this don't happen .. In all honesty think the Reliability Factor and is what would draw this percentage of HD ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saying and doing are two different things. I'll still be surprised if even a few percent of Harley Davidson owners make the switch, maybe 2 or 3 percent. You can't believe how stubbornly they will cling to their beloved Motor Company, almost like a religion to them. I actually think Victory and the Big Four Japanese will probably see the most owner defection to Indian. Time will tell of course but I really don't think Indian or Victory either one will make much of a dent in Haley Davidson sales figures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
12851 said:
Saying and doing are two different things.  I'll still be surprised if even a few percent of Harley Davidson owners make the switch, maybe 2 or 3 percent.  You can't believe how stubbornly they will cling to their beloved Motor Company, almost like a religion to them.  I actually think Victory and the Big Four Japanese will probably see the most owner defection to Indian.  Time will tell of course but I really don't think Indian or Victory either one will make much of a dent in Haley Davidson sales figures.
2 or 3% is HUGE. That's over 5000 just in current new bike sales. Factor in that there are over 1 million HOG members alone that means 20,000 - 30,000 potential new customers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
12851 said:
Saying and doing are two different things. I'll still be surprised if even a few percent of Harley Davidson owners make the switch, maybe 2 or 3 percent. You can't believe how stubbornly they will cling to their beloved Motor Company, almost like a religion to them.
The times, they are a changin'.

It will be very interesting to see how Harley-Davidson reacts to this shot across its bow when they introduce its 2014 lineup at the 110th Anniversary. My guess: If they don't have anything new in the lineup, they could institue across the board dramatic price cuts. That could adversely affect those wanting to change brands, but it could bring new buyers into the showrooms.

I think the bottom line with the launch of Indian is that the rider wins as all manufacturers will have to step up the game.

Also, if the new Indians ride as nice as they look, this could be the mid-1990's all over again except the demand could be for Indian and not H-D. Within the next few weeks, I won't be surprised if the Indians become backordered and a waiting list forms. I think it's safe to say that there won't be any discounting for the forseeable future and I only hope that the greed factor doesn't appear and that Dealers don't start adding fees and raising the prices.

Yes, I'm allowed to have an opinion!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
12851 said:
Saying and doing are two different things.  I'll still be surprised if even a few percent of Harley Davidson owners make the switch, maybe 2 or 3 percent.  You can't believe how stubbornly they will cling to their beloved Motor Company, almost like a religion to them.  I actually think Victory and the Big Four Japanese will probably see the most owner defection to Indian.  Time will tell of course but I really don't think Indian or Victory either one will make much of a dent in Haley Davidson sales figures.
I disagree, at least a little. I think riders of all the non-Harley brands have one thing in common in their dislike of Harley. They don't like how old Harley insists on keeping their bikes. Harley riders love it. BMW, Honda, Kawi, et all...hate it. I think the majority of other brand riders are going to look at these and think they look nice but too old looking to actually buy.
I think 10-20% is a conservative figure of Harley riders who would be willing to switch if they found everything they love about Harley existed in a bike with power and comfort. I suspect it's only 30-40% of Harley riders that will never ride anything but HD. It just seems like a higher number because they're the loudmouths.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is imperative Indian maintains a high quality standard. I have had zero problems (knocking hard on wood) with my Vics riding in any environment nor have I suffered any of the problems posted on this forum. Maybe the increased popularity of the Vic brand has increased production requirements stressing the production line as it seems more complaints have surfaced this year. If Indian wants to be a real force into the market and be successful they will have to maintain the quality standards and not let Quality Control slide. They will also have to respond quickly and positively to customer issues. I know that always hasn't been the case with Victory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just wonder why everybody doesn't go out a buy a Ford Fusion.

Just kidding, but Victory makes lots of styles of bikes as does HD. People also buy what they like to look at. My wife, as an example thinks the Indian is probably the ugliest bike she has ever laid eyes on. I think there are a lot of her as the Nomad didn't make a dent in the Kawasaki market. Was discontinued year 2 and was affordable.

I think they will sell a lot of bikes, but lets not get crazy here. Victory is not an unknown brand in the bike world. I don't think this year they sold 10,000 bikes where Harley sold 225,000. After 15 years in business you don't get a pass anymore about we are the young company. We are not young anymore. 15 years of making a great product. Victory is not stripping HD riders away in droves.

I anticipate in the next few years they will sell about 10,000 bikes a year. Thats a lot!

15035 said:
If Indian takes 5-10% of Harleys market share in the first few years that would be a huge accomplishment. We are living in a very exciting time where motorcycle history is on the verge of changing. It's a fantastic time to be a motorcycle rider and the next few years hold a lot of promise for us all. I have no doubt that Harley will now up their game and make a better product to compete with Indian. Hopefully, Polaris will not let Victory rest on its laurels and will continue to improve our beloved Victory brand as well.
Harley strives to up their game and make a better product all the time. Harley Davidson makes good motorcycles with strong fit and finish. Is the Indian a good or great bike. I don't know, they have not sold one yet. They havn't broken down yet, nobody got a 500 mile check $600 bill yet, and NTSA has not done a recall on anything yet. How are we assuming they are well made great bikes. It is a motor and driveline untested on the masses.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree 100%, Indian needs to make sure they step out of the gate with NO major mechanical issues. To this day I still hear people both inside and outside the industry lable Victory's as unreliable simply because of the transmission issues a decade ago.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Indian product-line will put a much bigger dent in Victory sales than HD. I like the Indians as far as appearance. We&rsquo;ll have see about ride and performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with above.

I'm sure Polaris management already is expecting some cannibalization of sales into their own house brand, Victory. Also, I wouldn't doubt a long-term exit plan of the Victory name has been at least laid out.

To me, doesn't make a whole lot of sense of running two brands of similar nature under one roof. I'm sure the Victory name will be around for awhile, but 5-10 years from now....not so sure.

From the articles and interviews I have read and seen with Polaris management....looks like there are plans to expand the Indian name into other categories of motorcycling....Indian Sport Tourer, Indian Superbike, Indian ADV bike, Indian Dual-Sport???? Now THAT'S offering 'Choice' in American motorcycling, and I'm truly excited about that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
'I think it's safe to say that there won't be any discounting for the forseeable future and I only hope that the greed factor doesn't appear and that Dealers don't start adding fees and raising the prices.'

Andy I too agree with this, the only bike that mite make it into Canada will be BG's as I think the riders down their will buy up every bike made this year, and as far as greed it is the nature of the beast to be this way

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My risky .02 here. I come from a harley/indian/triumph family (grandfather had an inline 4 chief, 1 uncle had a 650 triumph, another rode with 1% clubs in the california scene back in the '60-'70's) You didn't even contemplate pulling up in the driveway of the family if you weren't on one of those three. I've been knowledgable in Harley, debated on Triumph, almost settled on victory (settled as in decided on, not settled as in oh well) then I caught the Indians.

A part of me has always felt that while Victory is a contender for a lot of harley guys it's missing on the looks dept. Something with vic's artists just DO NOT work for the harley guys. A victory to them while an awesome ride just doesn't have the 'presence'. Most of the victory guys that I know OFF of the forum, are japanese bike converts. In essence, they've spent most of their time riding yamahondasakisuki simply because they were put off by reliability issues with harley, dealership drama, or just even the pretentiousness of some of the owners. I believe that Indian is going to do more damage to harley's sales than victory could have ever done and I'm thankful for it. Pre ww2, Indian WAS the lead motorcycle mfr in the states and I feel it soon will be again if they can ever get their dealership network up and running. What I have heard from harley guys is the usual 'if it's after '53 no Indian for me'.

Indian hits my buttons. I want one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts