Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Will police departments start using the challenger?

• Yes

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 61.5%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rider
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically, police departments use a variety of liquid cooled bikes. Knowing this do you think we’ll see PD’s start adopting the challenger?

·
German Rider
1,665 Posts
Voted no, cauz I don't think that this will happen, but I would like to see it/ I hope the will.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
You might see some show up across the nation. But I'm not sure that as a whole, all of the departments will switch over. I think they like their Kawi's and BMW's too much.

I have seen some Chieftains and older Vic Cross Country's used though!

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
we have very few LEO's on bikes... but when their on bikes they're on a HD... man that sounds like a meme

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
Yep HD still pretty much the market cornered on this one. I did see two Cheiftans being used with an agency I think in Indiana? The Fairing on the Streetglides allow more equipment to be put in them such as the radio cons head unit and other things. I would however like to see Indian get more of them in there but the other issue also is a lack of dealerships

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
45yrs in the business and I say “highly doubt it.” The Harley depts love their HD’s, and the depts that want get-up-and-go have Beemers. A few oddball depts may do it for PR factor (nostalgia) but they are simply not practical yet (parts, servicing / dealer network, and most importantly teething problems on the Challengers). Both HD and BMW have dedicated police bikes and programs. Indian? Nope.

·
Rider
844 Posts
I don't think the battery or charging system is heavy enough for radios, lights,etc. It also doesn't have all the necessary mounting brackets for the equipment a cop bike needs.

·
Bronze member
2,638 Posts
Probably not. BMW and HD seemed to have that small market cornered. Unless IM starts offering great financial deals to police agencies, I don’t see it.

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
US police depts might be encouraged to consider it, as selecting a second US supplier instead of a EU one would receive strong political support
in some areas.. not all... it boils down to money and the actual program offered by the motorcycle mfg.... not a big deal anyway... at least if you get in a pursuit with a department that has HD's and you're on your Challenger the only thing that will catch you is the radio waves...

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
in some areas.. not all... it boils down to money and the actual program offered by the motorcycle mfg.... not a big deal anyway... at least if you get in a pursuit with a department that has HD's and you're on your Challenger the only thing that will catch you is the radio waves...
Exactly, it's all about money.

·
Registered
402 Posts
45yrs in the business and I say “highly doubt it.” The Harley depts love their HD’s, and the depts that want get-up-and-go have Beemers. A few oddball depts may do it for PR factor (nostalgia) but they are simply not practical yet (parts, servicing / dealer network, and most importantly teething problems on the Challengers). Both HD and BMW have dedicated police bikes and programs. Indian? Nope.
Here in Jefferson County I see Harleys and BMW's.

Reactions: HINK

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
Yep
Here in Jefferson County I see Harleys and BMW's.
Yep — I worked at Lakewood and we had six Beemer 1200’s. Feedback on the Harleys was that if you had to really roll it on to catch a high-speed violator (from zero) it just took forever — the Beemers would get you on the guys ass in a heartbeat. The beemers were also much more manueverable in traffic — if the motor guys were assisting on perimeter ops we could get em onto bike paths etc

·
Administrator
15,511 Posts
Another consideration was service — virtually no dept has dedicated motorcycle wrenches (exception: really large depts like LAPD). The local BMW shop would get our guys in at the front of the line but the Harley crew (at the time Freedom Harley before they moved up the hill on I-70) would put our guys wherever they happened to walk into the line (and in the midst of summer that was three weeks out).

Imagine that - - a Harley operation with an anti-cop bias...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
I'd love to see a police challenger. My agency has run BMW's forever. They had a short trial with a few of the Honda st100s a few years ago, but weren't back to BMW.

Parts availability, performance and dealer network are key considerations for any dept. Design-wise, they like having a big logo on the BMW fairings too.

The challenger would meet the performance requirements, but the parts and dealer network availability would definitely fall short.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts