Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Down

Votes: 40 61.5%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just trying to see the breakdown of how many of you ride your bobber with the mirrors up or down.

My bike got delivered with the mirrors up, and I only recently thought about switching them down to see the difference. Personally, having the mirrors up I feel like I get better rear view coverage.

I can definitely see an advantage of having them down if you live in California as it will give you better clearance while lane splitting.

What are your thoughts?

·
Silver member
5,283 Posts
Not a bobber, but I do have the mirrors upside down, and I really like it that way. Clear view, and you're clearing car mirrors.

Just make sure they clear the tank of full lock!

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Down. Need to move arm and head to use them. Don’t care, they look infinitely better down.

Reactions: Fydo

·
Banned
382 Posts
Had the dealer put them up but switched them down. Up is definitely better imo but down isn't bad without bulky sleeves.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,273 Posts
I prefer the look of them down. Obviously they're more functional when upright but hey, if having them down encourages the rider to shoulder check more often maybe it is safer after all.

Reactions: AlienOne

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
If you don’t put them up, just take them off. The Harley Sportster 48 works with the mirrors down because they are mounted inboard of the grips. With the outboard mounting on the Bobber, your arms completely block the mirrors, making them completely useless.

Mirrors are there for your safety. If using your mirrors isn’t important to you, just take them off completely.

Also, depending on how you mount them down, they may dent your tank or damage your badging.

I put mine down like the mirrors on my 48 for about one trip around the block.

·
Rider
705 Posts
Down. Looks much better and yes I live in California and yes down is PERFECT for lane splitting. Yea I have to move my arm a lil but it’s worth it. Plus I like to look over my shoulder anyways. And yes I will ding my tank if I’m not careful but I’m getting used to be careful, but if your a shorter person the angle you need won’t ding the tank.

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
I don't readily know how it would work with a Scout but my Iron 883 had them inward and up and all I could see were my shoulders. I moved them down and I could see everything, food for thought.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine came down. It doesn't matter because I put bar end mirrors on most of my bike and I will be putting them on the Bobber too. Heres a pic of them on my Buell

Attachments

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I get the whole safety thing, really. I can see my mirrors with the slightest shift.

Just have to point out that anyone ho is seriously into safety and function over form should not be on a Scout Bobber. It’s all about form over function. You’ve got less ground clearance and lean angle before scraping metal, less suspension travel, no wind protection, no storage, no pillion, minimal fender. The bike is a peg scraping, rock and water throwing hooligan nightmare. The wind hits you everywhere and so does everything airborne from sand to gravel to bugs.

And I love it like that.

For function, get a Scout with a small to medium sized windscreen and saddlebags, a tank bag, some PIAA driving lights...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get the whole safety thing, really. I can see my mirrors with the slightest shift.

Just have to point out that anyone ho is seriously into safety and function over form should not be on a Scout Bobber. It’s all about form over function. You’ve got less ground clearance and lean angle before scraping metal, less suspension travel, no wind protection, no storage, no pillion, minimal fender. The bike is a peg scraping, rock and water throwing hooligan nightmare. The wind hits you everywhere and so does everything airborne from sand to gravel to bugs.

And I love it like that.

For function, get a Scout with a small to medium sized windscreen and saddlebags, a tank bag, some PIAA driving lights...

So True LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
I made the dealer switch mine to up before I even signed the papers. They are useless in the down position. They look better down, I prefer safety over looks. I've got 6 kiddos to look over and they are always in my mind when I ride.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agree with other postings, the Bobber is all about attitude and style. They need to be down to be cool looking. If you want mirrors above the bars get a regular Scout and be safer and less cool [cat]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine are down. I do have to slightly tilt my head left and right to see around my arms but it makes the bike look more aggressive and unique in the down position. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts