Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a lot of threads of the years on good speaker replacements for the 2018 and earlier fairing based bikes.

I have tried many of the suggested speakers and then tried these. MM522

These are the best speakers bar none. They are a monitor style which means these have a natural flat frequency response like monitor speakers in recording studios so you hear what it actually there.

I have found that most of the 5 1/4 speakers are very pronounced in the upper mids and highs and sound harsh when turned up.

These speakers are very full and flat and balanced perfectly, you don't need to use the EQ to cut unwanted frequencies, instead you can use the EQ to boost wanted frequencies.

They can take 300 watts peak and 80 watts RMS all day long. They also use lightweight neodymium magnets that allow for a much lighter speaker and much more powerful magnet. This keeps you from putting much heavier speakers in the fairing which over time may cause fatigue and cracks in the fairing.

Neodymium magnets are much more expensive but give you the power and efficiency at a fraction of the weight. The cheaper speakers use the large ceramic magnets which are very cheap to make, but need to be so big because they are much less efficient.

These speakers are clear powerful and have zero distortion. I think they are your best option for a stock head unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Awesome thanks. I have been wondering what to use as an upgrade

·
Registered
372 Posts
I dropped in the 522s and am very happy. Yes they require jumper wires due to the different size connection spades than the OEM. Easy to make them out of the supplies wires and a trip to the hardware store

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
767 Posts
I have a pair just waiting to go in but I see that I will have to take off or rotate the controls to get them in.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
How did you wire them up?
by the looks of his AVATAR he has a 18 or older Chieftain Dark Horse... there were a couple of guys talking about it in the Challenger thread... they swore up and down it wasn't a problem.. your amps are on the speaker for 19 and above... I would recommend going to that section and asking them... because we had this discussion when the 19's came out and it was the conclusion that Indian was the only way you could upgrade...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced the well used Polk DB521 with the MM522 speakers in my 2014 Chieftain. The sound is much cleaner at all volume levels while going down the road.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
by the looks of his AVATAR he has a 18 or older Chieftain Dark Horse... there were a couple of guys talking about it in the Challenger thread... they swore up and down it wasn't a problem.. your amps are on the speaker for 19 and above... I would recommend going to that section and asking them... because we had this discussion when the 19's came out and it was the conclusion that Indian was the only way you could upgrade...

Correct, on the 2019's and later the amp splits the signal into 2 signal paths so you have 4 connections per speaker. The crossover is in the amp instead of the speaker. Aftermarket speakers won't work i the 2019 and later with the factory amp

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
while back dave pilot sold connectors cause indians are reversed

Those weren't really necessary because speakers use AC current. As long as a pair or quad is connected in the same orientation they work just fine. The reason speakers have a +/- terminal is so both speakers are connected with he same orientation so they will be in phase with each other. In phase means the speaker cones are moving in the same direction relative to each other.

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
Those weren't really necessary because speakers use AC current. As long as a pair or quad is connected in the same orientation they work just fine. The reason speakers have a +/- terminal is so both speakers are connected with he same orientation so they will be in phase with each other. In phase means the speaker cones are moving in the same direction relative to each other.
FINALLY! Someone else who understands speaker polarity. So many people don't get it ... even after it is explained to them. I've shared this fact many times.

·
Rider
739 Posts
Correct, on the 2019's and later the amp splits the signal into 2 signal paths so you have 4 connections per speaker. The crossover is in the amp instead of the speaker. Aftermarket speakers won't work i the 2019 and later with the factory amp
If I get brave I might be the test dummy and see if I can rig the amplifier portion of the OEM speaker in a way to run an aftermarket. If it doesn't work then I've lost nothing since I can always add an amp later.

·
Rider
767 Posts
Back in the day once the speakers were hooked up one would go to one speaker and flip the wires to see if it was out of phase. If not then the wires would go back to the original position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts