Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I was looking at speakers tonight online and have noticed that a lot of people like the Polk Audio DB521 and DB522’s. I noticed that Polk Audio as some new outdoor all terrain/boat speakers called the MM522. On the spec sheet it stats that it handle 100-300 watts, without installing an amp will there be an issue driving four of these with the stock head unit? Now I know the DB522 are 300 watt max but I’m not sure about the low requirements.

MM522

Another question for those of you that have installed speakers that require a lot of power where are you placing the amp and what size amp would you suggest for four of these, a 1200 watt???

Thank you in advance for taking your time to reply, also if there are any other things/suggestions please feel free.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, it looks like they have a finally put out a 4ohm MM series. I would be interested to hear if any one had run these as well. Mounting could be a little challenging if the picture is correct for 2017's

·
Rider
566 Posts
Hello all!

I was looking at speakers tonight online and have noticed that a lot of people like the Polk Audio DB521 and DB522’s. I noticed that Polk Audio as some new outdoor all terrain/boat speakers called the MM522. On the spec sheet it stats that it handle 100-300 watts, without installing an amp will there be an issue driving four of these with the stock head unit? Now I know the DB522 are 300 watt max but I’m not sure about the low requirements.

MM522

Another question for those of you that have installed speakers that require a lot of power where are you placing the amp and what size amp would you suggest for four of these, a 1200 watt???

Thank you in advance for taking your time to reply, also if there are any other things/suggestions please feel free.
I'm not sure what the stock head unit is putting out, but almost a guarantee that it's not enough to healthily drive those speakers. I would power 100-300 watt speakers with 150 watts per speaker. Not sure the best place to install, but I would definitely amp them and definitely go 150 per speaker. My $.02

·
Founding member
2,236 Posts
Because a speaker is rated for a particular wattage has nothing to do with how much power is needed to achieve a particular "loudness". It only specifies how much power the speaker can handle without causing damage to the speaker. The specification you need to look at to see if you would need additional amp power is the sensitivity of the speaker. In this case, the MM522 will deliver 92db of output (loudness) when you give it 1 watt of power. The DB522 will be (very slightly) less at 91db. This means that you would actually need less amp output with the MM522. The DB521 has a 93db sensitivity; however, the DB521 is discontinued but may still be found at some sources.

Also for your reference, you need double the amp power output to achieve 3db more loudness (noticeable, but not significant) into any given speaker. It takes 10x the power to deliver what the ear/brain thinks is double the sound level. Most of the time, the amp is delivering considerably less than it's maximum output so going from a 100 watt amp to a 150 watt amp will not be noticeable.

Bottom line, either speaker will deliver about the same loudness without the need to change the amp. What may be different is the sound quality (that is also an individual's perception) of each speaker.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Supposedly, the 2017 Roadmaster is 200w to 4 speakers. This should be at peak wattage so I would say they amp puts out 25 RMS all day long.
Now if you are looking for a great upgrade, look at Diamond Audio. They make great stuff for marine grade. Not necessarily the smallest, but good power and awesome sound for the price. I personally have the "Second choice" ones in my vehicles and they rock.

First choice:
HXM800.4D

Second choice:
MICRO4V2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts