Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I installed all 4 speakers tonight in about a hour and half only needed to make a adapter for the negative. Didn't need to move or remove anything to install. Sounds great also the roadmaster rear speaker magnets are much larger than the fronts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Went a car stereo install place and they told me you would need an amplifier to make it sound good. I told him just wanted good speakers. Nope he said definitely need an amp. $600 bucks. Foogetaboudeet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Brilliant.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Went a car stereo install place and they told me you would need an amplifier to make it sound good. I told him just wanted good speakers. Nope he said definitely need an amp. $600 bucks. Foogetaboudeet.
If I am not mistaken we have an amp in the front and one in the rear for the RM

·
Registered
354 Posts
I thought the Roadmaster had one amp powering four speakers. If you opted for the saddle bag speakers you would also need another amp.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I haven't had my lid of my fairing yet I was told front headunit power rears have amps if the fronts do have a seperate amp maybe some kind of plyable enclosure on the backs of the front speakers. You can get a marine gradw mb quart d series amp for around 350 off amazon. Got a 60 mile ride in tonight rears are a lot louder all.much clearer now have mids and bass too! Anything with a steel guitar really comes to life

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
If it helps anyone, I bought the trunk for my Chieftain and the amp for the speakers is mounted under the trunk. Just follow the wire harness and you will find it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hey Guys,

Several people asked for these so I built some and are ready to ship! Keeping it simple. $15 and Free Shipping.

Polk Audio Install Kit for Indian Chieftain | eBay
I just installed a pair of really good quality speakers in my Chieftain. The original speakers vibrated like crazy. I put in JL Audio C2 525 X they are superb. Great tweeter and mid range and no woofer vibration like the original equipment. Took a little bit of enlarging the installation holes but overall easy installation. Also put on a short flex antenna and reception is excellent

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Did not take any pics but the mod is exactly the same same the polk audio mod
Oh ok, I thought I read that you had to enlarge a hole. The DBs were a direct drop in, no cutting or anything. Also, those aren't marine speakers. How are they against a washing or rain? I know guys that have just put car speakers in the batwing and were happy, but they were owned by fair weather riders. I am not. I do draw the line at thunderstorms though. [dead]

·
Registered
87 Posts
The db series aren't polls marine grade there mms series are I've got roughly 300 miles on in heavy rain and my db series are holding up

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
The db series aren't polls marine grade there mms series are I've got roughly 300 miles on in heavy rain and my db series are holding up
The db are "marine certified". I guess that means they can take a splash but perhaps not long term harsh saltwater environment, idk. The MM series are 2.7 ohm speakers but they said they are compatible with 4 ohm amplifiers right on the box. They would clip the Indian factory amp at even a moderate level. They were a perfect fit and they sounded awesome. Since I havnt found a "powersports" amp that is 2 ohm, I returned them and got the db 5.25. They will do for now i guess. I was just enquiring to find out if the JL speakers would fit the bill. I'll bet they sound awesome as everything JL I've heard, does.

20150708_154436.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could trim the ring on the JLs if need I'm sure. I've done that to get 6.5 polk in 7" headlight buckets. I have a buddy running a sound stream tarantula nano pushes 2 polk 6x9 2 polk 6.5 components 2 5.25 hertz and 2 4" rockfords

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Oh ok, I thought I read that you had to enlarge a hole. The DBs were a direct drop in, no cutting or anything. Also, those aren't marine speakers. How are they against a washing or rain? I know guys that have just put car speakers in the batwing and were happy, but they were owned by fair weather riders. I am not. I do draw the line at thunderstorms though. [dead]
They are car speakers but there is no problems with them. I never direct hard spray water at the fairing under any condition. When I park it and expect rain I cover the instrument cluster and the speakers with plastic anyway

1 - 19 of 19 Posts