Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
This video shows the process of changing out your Chieftain speakers. It also show the dramatic difference in sound quality if you play the video on something with good sound capability.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
These speakers have a noticeable better tone. I had to remove both mirrors to slide them in. The mirror extensions had to be unscrewed and the first couple turns hit the top of the faring. Instead of removing the faring I was able to push down the top of the faring just enough, about an 1/8 of an inch so that they could be unscrewed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice job I like it~

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty good, but you can pull the speaker grils off with your fingers. No need to use a screwdriver.
Yes, thanks. I can do that now. The first time I pulled them off, they were a bit tighter. I tried with just my fingers first but couldn't get a grip. The coated screw driver was a safe way to get my fingers behind the grill. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what type of speaker would I use in the saddle bags-brand/model
If you are referring to the concert audio lids, according to Indian website they take 6.5" marine grade speakers. I don't have the lids yet so cannot verify this. Polk Audio DB-651 are 6.5 inch and all Polk DB-xx speakers are marine grade. I could only assume that they would fit without being able to verify personally.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,762 Posts
I put these speakers in today. Easy to do thanks to DaveTPilot's video. The speakers definitely sound better, but I need a rel ride to fully test (I just went around the block since I was in shorts).
I found that it was easier to simply remove the clutch and brake mounts and let the mirrors hang while I switched out the speakers.

Thanks, Dave!

Edit:
I went out on the highway today and these speakers do sound better than the stock units. I found the speakers on Amazon for $71 shipped
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0PF8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
355 Posts
I installed the Polks recommended by Dave (see above) using his wiring kit and love the richer (fuller) sound. Got my speakers from Amazon for $60.00. This was a good mod, thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
299 Posts
In the video, you mention the Indian Tool kit. Is this on the bike from the factory or something ordered later? If it's on the bike....WHERE?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the video, you mention the Indian Tool kit. Is this on the bike from the factory or something ordered later? If it's on the bike....WHERE?
When I bought my Chieftain, the kit was handed to me by my salesman in a giant ziploc along with owner's manual, tire pressure gauge, oil cap removal tool... Etc.
I have read somewhere, someone had theirs mounted under one of the side covers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Polk 521's installed now..... sounds better, still waiting on the 651's to be delivered so I can install them in the saddlebag spots.

Thanks for the how-to video.... I doubt that I would have tackled the install without your help!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I received my Polk 651's and when I went to install them, I found that the factory speakers have a connector that I haven't seen before. I really don't want to cut the wires if I can help it. Does anyone know what this connector is called so that I can order some jumpers to keep the connector attached in case I decide to go back to the factory speakers. I am out of town at the moment or I would also post a picture of the connector.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Installed mine the other day. Lowered the handle bars to make the process easier.

The sound is much better, great upgrade for the price

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone tried the Alpine R series? I too will be putting new speakers in and I want to make sure I get the right ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the change over and really didn't notice much of a difference if any????? what could I have done wrong??? Got the polks, and was expecting much more...kind of dis appointing

1 - 20 of 105 Posts