Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum up and down but I find it's hard to search on here at times so I guess I'm starting yet another warranty thread.
I bought my chieftain in november of 15 used with about 7k on it. When I bought it, I noticed issues with the front fender from the chrome-ish trim, and received a new front fender in may of 16. I was very happy with polaris for replacing an issue that I believe was caused from the adhesive under the trim eating thru my blue Springfield paint.
A couple months ago I showed my dealer my rear fender to have them turn it into polaris under warranty. They took pics of the damage-this was much more extensive damage. Not only did the bottom of the rear fender start to have the same problem that I noticed on my front fender but there was pretty extensive rust on the front of the rear fender in a spot that you only see when the bags are removed as well as the side covers.
I made the mistake of believing that polaris would also take care of this issue.
Well I got an email from my dealer that I should call ask polaris because they refused my warranty claim. 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with polaris and a very rude man name Joe (no last name as he refused to give it to me) read me the same paragraph 6 different times any corrosion being something they don't cover because my warranty doesn't cover that-says it isn't a manufactures' defect. Refused to say why the same damage to the front was a defect but the rear is not. Told me that I live in the east coast so salt on the roads caused the corrosion.
Even tho I replied that my bike is stored in a heated bike garage all winter season, never sees salt, and I do not ride it when there is any salt on the roads he just got more and more rude.
I've owned Honda's and hds-still have 3 hds at home, one of which is an 07 deluxe. I've never seen rust on ANY bike I've owned and cannot believe that polaris thinks it is acceptable that a 2014 has rust. Seems like maybe they believe no one on the east coast should buy an indian unless you are ok with corrosion.
I love my bike but I actually wish I'd never left harley. This motor is a beast and I absolutely adore the ride. I just cannot understand how you could treat a customer the way I was just treated.
Sorry for the rant but I'm SO angry I could spit!! I just expected more when I purchased a 20k+ Indian.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I've searched this forum up and down but I find it's hard to search on here at times so I guess I'm starting yet another warranty thread.
I bought my chieftain in november of 15 used with about 7k on it. When I bought it, I noticed issues with the front fender from the chrome-ish trim, and received a new front fender in may of 16. I was very happy with polaris for replacing an issue that I believe was caused from the adhesive under the trim eating thru my blue Springfield paint.
A couple months ago I showed my dealer my rear fender to have them turn it into polaris under warranty. They took pics of the damage-this was much more extensive damage. Not only did the bottom of the rear fender start to have the same problem that I noticed on my front fender but there was pretty extensive rust on the front of the rear fender in a spot that you only see when the bags are removed as well as the side covers.
I made the mistake of believing that polaris would also take care of this issue.
Well I got an email from my dealer that I should call ask polaris because they refused my warranty claim. 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with polaris and a very rude man name Joe (no last name as he refused to give it to me) read me the same paragraph 6 different times any corrosion being something they don't cover because my warranty doesn't cover that-says it isn't a manufactures' defect. Refused to say why the same damage to the front was a defect but the rear is not. Told me that I live in the east coast so salt on the roads caused the corrosion.
Even tho I replied that my bike is stored in a heated bike garage all winter season, never sees salt, and I do not ride it when there is any salt on the roads he just got more and more rude.
I've owned Honda's and hds-still have 3 hds at home, one of which is an 07 deluxe. I've never seen rust on ANY bike I've owned and cannot believe that polaris thinks it is acceptable that a 2014 has rust. Seems like maybe they believe no one on the east coast should buy an indian unless you are ok with corrosion.
I love my bike but I actually wish I'd never left harley. This motor is a beast and I absolutely adore the ride. I just cannot understand how you could treat a customer the way I was just treated.
Sorry I feel for you. Polaris just disregards most of my concerns unless it is a recall , I don't have rust but I do have a clacker that is really bad

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sorry you are having issues. Trade it for 2017.

From what I understand from this forum is that 2014-2015s had shitty paint.
Are you sure you are still in the warranty period?
If you want to go back to HD, go ahead. I would prefer to never have to fix my bike again and complain about the paint then to have to send my bike to the dealer in the middle of every riding season for 2-4 weeks. That is my experience with HD and maybe yours was different.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I re-painted my 2015 Chieftain as Indian paint is awful.

I can understand your frustration as they should cover it. It is a small cost to make a customer happy.

If you go back to Harley enjoy. I had many trouble free miles on my HDs.

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but water touching bare metal will rust right? I'm sorry that you feel slighted but the previous owner may not have taken care of it like you may have and you inherited the problem.

Buy a new bike and ride it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I
Sorry for the rant but I'm SO angry I could spit!! I just expected more when I purchased a 20k+ Indian.
Why is the price relevant? It's either a warrant able issue or not and if it's .20 or 20000.00 the cost is irrelevant. Looks like it's going to be an uphill battle but when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Take the opportunity to do some custom paint perhaps. Far more important things in life to stress over.

Reactions: Rolltide and Maggie

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Why is the price relevant? It's either a warrant able issue or not and if it's .20 or 20000.00 the cost is irrelevant. Looks like it's going to be an uphill battle but when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Take the opportunity to do some custom paint perhaps. Far more important things in life to stress over.
Price is relevant because one would expect they might have a problem at some point when they buy a $2k 10yo suzuki not a near new premium bike they paid close to $20k for. I don't blame flysby one bit for being upset.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Price is relevant because one would expect to have a problem when they buy a $2k 10yo suzuki not a near new premium bike they paid close to $20k for. I don't blame flysby one bit for being upset.
I don't blame him either but the frustration should be the same regardless of price if it's warrantable.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I don't blame him either but the frustration should be the same regardless of price if it's warrantable.
It's the walmart society that we have become. When you go to harbor freight and buy a cheap tool and it craps out after a couple uses you toss it and go get another. When you buy the same tool from snap on and it doesn't last forever you are pissed. Both have lifetime warranty.

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
I've never heard of any manufacturer that would warranty. Power sport item because of environmental effects on metal and paint

·
Rider
1,001 Posts
If I get a minor chip on my fender and water rusts the metal underneath, why is it Polaris' fault. Paints are thinner than ever BC of EPA requirements and who knows what other trucks and cars leak onto the roads. If the threads of my seat seams separate BC my ass was sitting and rubbing in it for X miles, why should Polaris replace the seat?

I just don't get why people expect something for nothing, especially when buying a used anything.

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Registered
266 Posts
I re-painted my 2015 Chieftain as Indian paint is awful.

I can understand your frustration as they should cover it. It is a small cost to make a customer happy.

If you go back to Harley enjoy. I had many trouble free miles on my HDs.
I never had trouble free HD ever...hence why i own an Indian now....lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I get a minor chip on my fender and water rusts the metal underneath, why is it Polaris' fault. Paints are thinner than ever BC of EPA requirements and who knows what other trucks and cars leak onto the roads. If the threads of my seat seams separate BC my ass was sitting and rubbing in it for X miles, why should Polaris replace the seat?

I just don't get why people expect something for nothing, especially when buying a used anything.

Awe come on...I was hoping to get my seat replaced. I did 16k miles in 7 months and my seat in wrinkled. I thought for sure I could it replaced under warranty....LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
This is not the first time I've seen/heard about this. If I remember correctly the fenders were covered by Polaris/Indian for other owners, something about where the chrome strip is not being properly sealed on the inside of the fender and rust starts.

Persistence, nothing a warranty administrator hates more than the word estoppel.

es·top·pel

[əˈstäpəl]

NOUN
  1. law
    the principle that precludes a person from asserting something contrary to what is implied by a previous action or statement of that person or by a previous pertinent judicial determination.

As one who always deals with the threat of a class action suit, all policy holders must be treated equally. A company cannot provide coverage for a certain failure and then deny coverage for the same failure to another, there MUST be consistency!

Go to the "search bar" on the top right, type in "fender rust" and you should have plenty of ammunition to get the resolution you're looking for. ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, I'm not a HE. I don't believe that makes a difference but just wanted to be clear. Lol
2nd, when I purchased my Indian I was told about the warranty. The warranty was a large selling point to me. I'm covered until 12/17. If I had no warranty on this bike, which I knew was a first year, I wouldn't have purchased it. I think it makes it harder on me that the front fender was covered and the rear wasn't. That and the fact that the guy named Joe was an absolutely jackass when I finally got a person on the phone.
I would never expect a fender to be covered for damage caused by me-chips from rocks, etc. I don't want any thing for free. I only asked for what I was told was covered.
The money does make a difference to me. I work very hard for my money. I'm a state employee. I saved my pennies before I made this purchase for a long time. I researched, test rode everything that I could get my hands on for 2 years. I made what I thought was a well thought out decision.
The first bike I ever rode on was my grandfathers indian scout, that he'd let me climb on the back of when gram wasn't looking even we were camping and I was 7. Maybe that emotion played a bit into my love of this bike- & as I've said before-i love this bike. Maybe it also plays into the large disappointment I feel in polaris.
Yeah-I guess I'll be looking into custom paint work this winter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shuje sunge, thank you. Once I searched it that way, I actually found my original thread about this issue.
I do believe that you are right, it has to be covered. Not sure the price of repainting is equal or less than it would be to hire an attorney to fight them.
I asked to appeal the decision but was told by the wonderful Joe at polaris that HE makes the decisions.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I agree should be no rust, the paint jobs do lack what they should be, I have a 16 model with soft paint, a shot of clear hardener would of been great, am not showing any rust or bubbles, but if I do I will be camping out at the dealer, I have a 92 pick-up that stays out in the weather with showing no rust xcept where the paint wore off on the roof from washing and being out in the sun.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
@Flysby, you now have the evidence you need. Let us know how it works out. Real interesting thread - Good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the mean time I would cover the rust with a product called rust inhibitor , it will turn the area dark , but will stop the rust . You paint over the treated area. It is not harsh to work with and tools clean up with soap and water. YouTube video Rust Doctor. Good luck with Polaris . Ron

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 100401 View attachment 100385 View attachment 100377 View attachment 100377
I will throw the BS flag on their response. I have a 2015 RM I bought in Nov of 2014 and by the summer I found corrosion like yours on the front fender. A week later while detailing the bike I found the same thing on the rear fender. I got warranty approval the next day. I was told by the Indian rep that this was a prep issue. Interesting thing about the front fender. I had a bunch of corrosion on the right side seem but the left side was good. Simply poor prep by View attachment 100393 Indian. If it will help I can try to get my case number to see if it will help your cause. Dean

1 - 20 of 100 Posts