Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do other riders feel about the various owners of the indian name. I seen a guy in AB advertising a bomber saying it was a real indian not a "polaris" indian. I was kind of offended but I also seen he was advertising it for $40000 so that might say alot about the guy as well.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I am very proud to own an INDIAN & embrace all. I owned a VTX Honda 1800 and some of my HD buddies state they were real bikers because of what they rode. Haters will always be just that. I would have to really give a crap to care what that guy thinks. I don't! I only matters what you think. I ride with an enlightened mind. Welcome to you

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Never owned a Gilroy or Kings Mountain but I think with all the electronic gadgets and do-dads that the Gilroy and KM wouldn't even be in the same league? ......that is if you like electronic gadgets and do-dads?

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Just a matter of opinion I would say .. Far as I know Gilroy and Kings Mountain did have Patent Rights the same as Polaris does .. None of these 3 will ever be an Original Springfield which has been dead since 1953 .. But Quite Happy to be a part of what Polaris has done and feel pretty secure that Indian is here to stay this time around .. While I thought the KM Indian was a Nice Looking Ride could not justify it's High Price and was scared it wouldn't last long which it didn't .. Also Polaris have managed to put far more Indian Dealerships available which is a big factor when travel the way I do .. Will never match HD that way but close enough wouldn't feel worried traveling as their reliability has proven itself and will even more so as time goes on ..

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've got no issues with any of them. Each previous-owner of the name had a dream. I respect that. But, I wasn't inclined to purchase until Polaris bought them for a couple of reasons:

• Polaris has the deep-pockets to make this thing work, unlike the others who quite obviously did not.
  • Polaris built a new bike, striking the proper balance between new and old, but most importantly not just re-badging other manufacturer's designs/parts and hiding them behind a facade of fender skirts and body work.

There will always be those who feel the need to elevate themselves by belittling others. As I always say, there's room in my heart for ALL varieties. That's why I own an Indian Vintage and a Harley Ultra Limited. I only wish there was room in my wallet or garage for all of them.

Steve

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Morning Folks,
A brand name is a property and may be bought or sold. I had trouble taking Gilroy and Stellican bikes seriously as Indians since they were running copies of Evo engines and transmissions, but its not a big deal to me. The editor of "The Horse - BSC" (to which I subscribe) owns a nice '40s Indian bobber and can't seem to bring himself to recognize Polaris' offerings as Indians, in a recent road test he referred to them as "Polaris motorcycles", although he really couldn't find anything bad to say about them. Its kind of like saying that no "real" Fords have been built since Henry died or that the departure of the Dodge brothers spelled the end of "real" Dodges. The riders, racers, and dealers who populated the old Springfield Indian Wig-Wam are lost to us in the past, peering out at us from fading photographs, only the surviving machines left to tell their story. It remains to be seen whether we and Polaris are worthy inheritors of the Indian legacy.
--- Randall

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just a matter of opinion I would say .. Far as I know Gilroy and Kings Mountain did have Patent Rights the same as Polaris does .. None of these 3 will ever be an Original Springfield which has been dead since 1953 .. But Quite Happy to be a part of what Polaris has done and feel pretty secure that Indian is here to stay this time around .. While I thought the KM Indian was a Nice Looking Ride could not justify it's High Price and was scared it wouldn't last long which it didn't .. Also Polaris have managed to put far more Indian Dealerships available which is a big factor when travel the way I do .. Will never match HD that way but close enough wouldn't feel worried traveling as their reliability has proven itself and will even more so as time goes on ..
Couldn't agree with you more!
My dad had a 1951 Indian, and I've wanted one ever since. Didn't have the money when I was younger for a Springfield, and I could not justify the cost of the KM.
With Polaris we now have a bike that is better built, very reliable, and for about half the cost of the KM. That just doesn't happen very often in this country.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I am a fan of the Evolution engines. That they were used on the Gilroy and Kings Mt. Indians is testament, that they liked it too. I like looking at them and actually sat on one for the first time a month ago. They don't feel or look like a Harley. I have no trouble with them, even though I may not be overly interested in having one. There are a lot of vehicles I don't wish to own. That doesn't mean they are not acceptable. Where was Polaris before these manufacturers came along? They weren't even thinking of Indian.
It's kind of like all the women I went with before getting married. They were there to teach me a few things for the woman who was right for me. Indian is a good fit with Indian.
From being a pure H-D guy to a guy who is accepting of other bikes that have been around, and been part of our culture for my whole life, I'm happy and find other bikes acceptable and cherished.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Had they done so well Polaris wouldn't own Indian right now. I for one would not have doled out that sort of dough to buy a bike with so few dealers, not a great reputation, over priced, and a company with shaky finances. Even though I love the look, that's not enough. Now I feel as if I have everything needed to drop 25K, which I did.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,749 Posts
Saying that my bike is not a "real" Indian is akin to saying that 2014 CVO Ultra Classic is not a "real" Harley or a 2014 Camaro is not a "real" Chevy.
If someone insists on this, let them ride or drive their 1950 vehicle and enjoy it. HD and Chevy are as far removed from their 1950's models as they can be. The companies (none of them) have the same CEO or BOD as they did in 1950. The manufacturing process, materials, everything has moved on.

They are all different and they are all "real"

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The V-Rod is a Harley, but many HD riders did not like it. The Scout is an Indian ,just not a cruiser. It would be just as stupid for cruisers to turn their nose down on Scouts. One family of riders from the first 1901 Indian to the first 2015 Indian off the line.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The V-Rod is a Harley, but many HD riders did not like it. The Scout is an Indian ,just not a cruiser. It would be just as stupid for cruisers to turn their nose down on Scouts. One family of riders from the first 1901 Indian to the first 2015 Indian off the line.
as the old song goes, "He's not heavy, he's my brother!"...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Morning Folks,
A brand name is a property and may be bought or sold. I had trouble taking Gilroy and Stellican bikes seriously as Indians since they were running copies of Evo engines and transmissions, but its not a big deal to me. The editor of "The Horse - BSC" (to which I subscribe) owns a nice '40s Indian bobber and can't seem to bring himself to recognize Polaris' offerings as Indians, in a recent road test he referred to them as "Polaris motorcycles", although he really couldn't find anything bad to say about them. Its kind of like saying that no "real" Fords have been built since Henry died or that the departure of the Dodge brothers spelled the end of "real" Dodges. The riders, racers, and dealers who populated the old Springfield Indian Wig-Wam are lost to us in the past, peering out at us from fading photographs, only the surviving machines left to tell their story. It remains to be seen whether we and Polaris are worthy inheritors of the Indian legacy.
--- Randall
Nicely worded.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't care what other people think. I've always been that way and if owning this new classic is wrong in the beholders eyes than screw them. I bought tis Indian for me not them. I feel like I'm stepping back in time whenever I throw a leg over her. I love this bike. Everything about it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I didn't buy my bike because it says Indian on the tank. I bought it because I think it is a great bike and built by a company that will be here a lot longer than me.

Reactions: rickkcir

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just garden variety human behavior of the self-unaware known as ego-investment. He made a questionable purchase by paying a princely sum for his bike and now protects his ego by convincing himself his bike is special and unique. I have encountered this a few times now with other riders. Ex: a group of riders of the major american brand stop and the first walks up and admires the Indian asking questions and offering compliments. His buddies now walk up and show interest momentarily before making subtle putdowns. The original rider now starts shifting into the same frame as his buddies. I see it for what it is. Defensiveness borne of one's ego-investment combined with a need to belong. I find it momentarily amusing and nothing more.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Polaris have sold us the "Indian dream" backed up with value-for-money hardware. Based on the satisfaction survey elsewhere in this forum, where 40+ Chief/Chieftan owners rated their steeds 9.45 out of 10, there's little room for complaint and lots of room for "good job Polaris"

1 - 20 of 254 Posts