Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris announced that they will be closing the Spearfish, SD plant and moving their paint operations to the Spirit Lake, IA manufacturing plant.

·
Bronze member
3,440 Posts
that's where the elites were painted... I don't know how many they made but this does make sense... unless they were paid damn good I wouldn't move from Spearfish to Spirit Lake..

Reactions: MilwDave

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
I always pondered why IM established a paint factory away from their assembly factory. I’m guessing they needed a place fast & this was already an existing building not too far from Spirit Lake. I’m speculating the Spearfish operation was never going to be a permanent solution - the cost of having to load, transport, and unload painted parts was just too costly.

·
Bronze member
1,591 Posts
The spearfish facility was the old Lehman Trike building. They bought it in 2015 with the express purpose of taking some of the painting in house. All of the Elites were painted at that facility and a couple of limited edition Vics as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
the production paint was already at Spirit Lake, under the production level, when you take the factory tour they talk about it and there racks of finished parts ready for the lines, but not part of the tour. would make sense to combine paint since EPA reges are so strict and costly on a paint facility these days.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,445 Posts
the production paint was already at Spirit Lake, under the production level, when you take the factory tour they talk about it and there racks of finished parts ready for the lines, but not part of the tour. would make sense to combine paint since EPA reges are so strict and costly on a paint facility these days.
They just upgraded the paint facility a few years ago at Spirit Lake if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
“Where there are available positions, we have offered Spearfish employees the opportunity to transfer to other Polaris facilities. Affected employees will receive a comprehensive separation package, including severance pay, outplacement services, and Employee Assistance Program support."
So at least trying to lessen the impact on their workers.

·
Bronze member
2,052 Posts
The spearfish facility was the old Lehman Trike building. They bought it in 2015 with the express purpose of taking some of the painting in house. All of the Elites were painted at that facility and a couple of limited edition Vics as well.
I thought that was the same location. I thought I remembered Lehman being nearby when I saw the Polaris sign the last time I rode by.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts