Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who thinks that when Polaris bought 24% of KTM that there was some infusion of that DNA in the Scout/Scout 60 motors?

Just curious as to what others believe.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Who thinks that when Polaris bought 24% of KTM that there was some infusion of that DNA in the Scout/Scout 60 motors?

Just curious as to what others believe.
Possible, although that was 15 years ago and I think the partnership didnt last long. Related, KTM recently surpassed Harley in unit sales. Great bike and great company.

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's true, but the Scout motor is now in its 6th year of production. It takes at least a year of durability testing after the initial stages of analysis and production intent. Motor design and FMEA can take months and months of engineering time before final design is approved.

I'd like to believe that a compact liquid cooled motor was developed for both Victory as well as Polaris, then eventually redeveloped into the Scout motor.

But,...I may be way off course.

·
Bronze member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Related, KTM recently surpassed Harley in unit sales. Great bike and great company.
Yes KTM is a great company.
About 15 years back my manager bought a KTM ADV bike and he was absolutely right when he told us that these bikes would set the standard for on/off road machines and that the company gave all its customers surveys that were to be used to develop future customer products.
Yep, he was spot on.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Had a KTM 990 SMT..........quick and nimble.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I just went from over 15 years on GSs to my first KTM, an 1190 Adventure R. It’s not as refined of ride as the BMW, but off road is amazing for a big adv / enduro.

4ED150E8-54CD-4C54-B821-9F4732567A96.jpeg

·
Bronze member
1,813 Posts
That's true, but the Scout motor is now in its 6th year of production. It takes at least a year of durability testing after the initial stages of analysis and production intent. Motor design and FMEA can take months and months of engineering time before final design is approved.

I'd like to believe that a compact liquid cooled motor was developed for both Victory as well as Polaris, then eventually redeveloped into the Scout motor.

But,...I may be way off course.
I am not positive, but the Victory Octane engine looks a lot like a Scout. If they are similar, they had time to fine tune before they put a Scout name on it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Y'all are making me want a dirt busting whooptie-dooper again but my back says no. :(

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Y'all are making me want a dirt busting whooptie-dooper again but my back says no. :(
Have you tried the new off-road bikes? The suspensions are phenomenal. A hell of a lot smoother than that damn boat I was on yesterday. I’ve had two lower back surgeries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts