Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Wishing them well they may need it .. With the Delay in Scouts and some have Bailed because of it .. But Overall Think the Scout will be a Big Winner once the Gets the New Model Bugs Squared away and the Assembly Line Rolling like it should be ..

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm sure the Scout will be a big seller when the production issues are resolved.
Now there are major issues with the Slingshot, maybe Polaris has gone to fast in getting these products out into the market place.
I hope these problems are resolved before it begins to affect their image and their bottom line.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder what the actual build cost is for a Scout...materials and labor ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hope the stock is rising.Haven't looked at in a couple weeks because of the up and down making me a moody guy.Will only check it the first of each month.

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
I wonder what the actual build cost is for a Scout...materials and labor ?
This website doesn't list the Scout, but it does list a few other Indian models. If you do the math, all retail prices are around an 11% markup from invoice. So if you take Scout's MSRP at $11,000 and subtract 11% you'll get $9790 for an invoice price (note: no dealer fees added). Unfortunately that doesn't give you the actual cost to Polaris to build and market the Indian. But I would guess Polaris makes at least 25% markup on every bike, which would bring their cost to around $7300, probably even less.

Indian Motorcycle See Dealer Cost

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good to see them health. Lots of recalls going on with Polaris in general. If they can get their stuff together and deliver on the promises they will do very well.

·
Registered
882 Posts
This website doesn't list the Scout, but it does list a few other Indian models. If you do the math, all retail prices are around an 11% markup from invoice. So if you take Scout's MSRP at $11,000 and subtract 11% you'll get $9790 for an invoice price (note: no dealer fees added). Unfortunately that doesn't give you the actual cost to Polaris to build and market the Indian. But I would guess Polaris makes at least 25% markup on every bike, which would bring their cost to around $7300, probably even less.

Indian Motorcycle See Dealer Cost
FYI, the dealer has about $780 margin on the Scout, that's pretty weak so I wouldn't expect any discounting on the bike ever unless Polaris provides incentives down the road.

With those numbers the Scout is a loss leader for Indian.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Motorcycle sales up 74% over first quarter last year! Wow!

·
Registered
106 Posts
FYI, the dealer has about $780 margin on the Scout, that's pretty weak so I wouldn't expect any discounting on the bike ever unless Polaris provides incentives down the road.

With those numbers the Scout is a loss leader for Indian.
Well let's not forget there is about $1,500 in dealer fees at some dealers

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
"While we are justifiably proud of these accomplishments, we remain focused on seizing the numerous opportunities we missed to perform better." Specifically, Wine [CEO] singled out high factory inventories, and "ongoing production inefficiencies, particularly in motorcycles..."

EVA Dimensions, LLC upgrades POLARIS INDUSTRIES INC from HOLD to OVERWEIGHT

"...a nearly 40% collective jump in retail demand for Victory and Indian Motorcycles, the latter of which showed particular strength." Motley Fool

upload_2015-5-20_8-40-15.png

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,416 Posts
"While we are justifiably proud of these accomplishments, we remain focused on seizing the numerous opportunities we missed to perform better." Specifically, Wine [CEO] singled out high factory inventories, and "ongoing production inefficiencies, particularly in motorcycles..."

EVA Dimensions, LLC upgrades POLARIS INDUSTRIES INC from HOLD to OVERWEIGHT

"...a nearly 40% collective jump in retail demand for Victory and Indian Motorcycles, the latter of which showed particular strength." Motley Fool

View attachment 12858
I wonder if they are including Slingshot sales since Polaris is selling them as motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if they are including Slingshot sales since Polaris is selling them as motorcycles.
The article listed Slingshot separately.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Polaris conference call today with the analysts detailed some information about their paint process and resultant pain for customers and stakeholders.

Dealer meeting in Las Vegas next week includes an Indian dealer only town hall meeting on Monday afternoon 7/27.
Dealers will then have the opportunity to see the display room (new products) and place orders Monday night.

Reactions: Dave57
1 - 20 of 126 Posts