Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** IDENTICAL THREADS MERGED

Ten year exclusive partnership agreement in off-road vehicles and snowmobiles. As consumers, we can't say with any certainty what this means w/ regard to Indian Motorcycles; but, this opens up a very tight relationship which IMO will garner significant relationships regarding future development of Indian Motorcycles EV.

Polaris Announces Partnership with Zero Motorcycles to Co-Develop Electric Vehicles as a Cornerstone of rEV’d up—Polaris’ New Electrification Strategy

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hah! There’s Zero (get it) chance of a street bike from this partnership. Zero would literally be creating their own competition.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
I have no interest in an electric motorcycle. An electric 4-wheeler just to buzz around on the farm might interest me. But seeings how they cost as much as a pickup used to..........I don't know about that either.
that's any damn 4 wheeler now days...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hah! There’s Zero (get it) chance of a street bike from this partnership. Zero would literally be creating their own competition.
Zero employs ~225 personnel; Polaris employs ~12,000 personnel.
Polaris gross sales revenue ~$7.2Billion; Zero gross sales revenue ~$92Million
Zero has two private investors; Polaris is listed & traded publicly on NASDAQ

Zero Motorcycles is very technology oriented from the top down with a solid foundation in electrical innovative development. Considering Polaris' recent (past) acquisitions & development in the battery, motorcycle and EV marketplace, this particular partnership is a further win for Polaris & Indian Motorcycles EV. I see a tremendous opportunity for the advancement of Polaris & Indian Motorcycles EV within the coming decade, one which will most likely result in the acquisition of Zero Motorcycles by Polaris.

·
Registered
967 Posts
What about an electric cruiser though? I don't think Zero has a cruiiser/bagger at all
They're going to have to significantly increase the range before it makes sense to put a traveling bike out there.

I like the move. I think it's going to be good for Polaris to partner with someone already in the pool. Zero has a much better price point than HD right now. Electric bikes make a lot of sense as quick commuters. And Zero had (or has) a military contract supplying special forces applications.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Electric motorcycle is good for off road in my opinion ( dirt bikes , quads , SxS ) . The day the government says u can only ride electric motorcycles on the street will be the day I stop riding on the street ... it's VERY dangerous to be riding a silent motorcycle on the street .

·
Rider
418 Posts
Anyone with Apple TV look up "Long way up". Ewan McGregor and a friend are riding from the southern tip of Argentina to LA on modified Livewires. You can watch and see their frustration with electric bikes. They have their place and there seems to be a lot to like about them however there's a lot left that needs to be done to make them practical, and that's not even counting a way to make the batteries more environmentally friendly. As someone said above electric vehicles are not green and until they are they are pointless

·
Registered
952 Posts
Zero employs ~225 personnel; Polaris employs ~12,000 personnel.
Polaris gross sales revenue ~$7.2Billion; Zero gross sales revenue ~$92Million
Zero has two private investors; Polaris is listed & traded publicly on NASDAQ

Zero Motorcycles is very technology oriented from the top down with a solid foundation in electrical innovative development. Considering Polaris' recent (past) acquisitions & development in the battery, motorcycle and EV marketplace, this particular partnership is a further win for Polaris & Indian Motorcycles EV. I see a tremendous opportunity for the advancement of Polaris & Indian Motorcycles EV within the coming decade, one which will most likely result in the acquisition of Zero Motorcycles by Polaris.
Yep and you make a good case for them to sell out to polaris. The issue is that zero has bikes sitting around in every dealership I’ve seen and no waitlist to get one. That means their employee base is adequate to meet demand. Electric bikes are not in demand.

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While still expensive, I see the Indian Motorcycles Slingshot as a very near future win with an EV motor. An EV motor delivers torque instantaneously, if that's your bag. Look no further than recent 0-60mph in less than 2.0 seconds from the Porsche 918 Spyder. An EV motorcycle can rip your head off in 0-60mph. I'm getting carried away down another stream here, but the future of Zero Motorcycles and Polaris Indian Motorcycles looks quite promising.

·
Registered
952 Posts
What about an electric cruiser though? I don't think Zero has a cruiiser/bagger at all
No they don’t. Any mass is going to destroy the range on an electric. They already have laughable range. It would require major advances in battery tech before you could put out a real cruiser/bagger.

·
Silver member
5,304 Posts
The eFTR JR has nothing to do with Zero motorcycles though, and from the looks of it the primary goal of this partnership is ATV's: RZR's, Ranger, etc. not motorcycles. Although we never know what the future holds.

(That said, I do think the Zero SR/F is the most attractive electric motorcycle on the market)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts