Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rider
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard of this? My opinion of these crap devices has been well aired.

........Polaris Dealers are installing the Boosterplug on FTRs to solve the EFI issues they have, so guarantee problems should not be an issue........

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Some dealers are installing tuners before customers buy the bikes. So that’s not too surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,478 Posts

Interesting. They simply alter the air temp sensor in thinking its colder thus causing the ECU to set the "Cold rich mixture" I forget who it was here on the forum, but he was doing a lot of testing on his FTR with his dealer and Polaris and the air temp sensor was mentioned and discussed as possibly being the culprit or at least looked into.

·
Silver member
4,623 Posts
I wonder how long it takes for the fuel trim tables to correct most of it out...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hear my story.. In the end of the that comment I come back to topic 😄. The FTR is my first bike I bought - hell, I even got my license because I fell in love with the Indian Design (Bobber). After I visited my local dealer and saw that FTR standing there loud and proud, I coundn't think about any other bike.
Really? In the end it was a hard dessicion. Because #Rule Number one in motorcycling is: Nothing is easy, everything is complicated and expansive! Even the smallest choice, like buying gloves, chain lube etc. is a complicated once you do. your research.. it drives me nuts as an control freak who hates buying things twice and doing mistakes.
So I was thinking about buying a cheap Honda600rr or a Ducati Supersport S. I thought I need a more comfortable bike for touring around Europe but im an asthetic-guy so it has to buy something beautiful and timeless in design. So I had to reach further down in my pocket- gor an used Supersport S over the Honda 600 RR. I drove around 1000kms for a good used deal/test drive. The nearly new Ducati had a price of 9500€+ with the things I would like to refine/upgrade I would be at 11k. Then the thinking started because I knew from my first test drive(ever) which was so much fun and fit my riding style perfectly, the FTR Basic would cost ~11500€ with around 80 miles on the clock. The test drive with the Ducati was super nice in the dark forest roads but the old school none color LCD display made me think about the resell value, even it was that big of an deal while driving that bike I have to say.
Well, long story short: I reached down even further than the 9grands into my pockets and finally paid 13k for a S replica with some extras and 1400kms on the clock.
Now! Almost back to topic! I feel a bit of an beta tester after over a week driving the bike. Everything is well build but the heart of the machine has some flaws and it makes me sad. I now spend another 1 k into the bike to make things "right". I know it's not fairness to say that. But I think most of you would agree that one thing that you should buy with the FTR is the Dyno jet tune.
And with that many more money spend on the bike now(coming from a willing of buying a Honda600RR for 4000€) 14k with extras is hard to swallow when the bike isnt running like it should?
I was thinking about buying a Panigale V2 for that price. Only two things Geld me off of it, my GF and my maturatiy. But now I'm not sure about it anymore. I think I'm not a super talented driver but I practice as much a I can. I hadn't had a problem driving any bike till now( I drive for 20 years). I love the powerband of the FTR and that you can cruise the bike but still I have the feeling the standard tune was rushed. How could something that important missed out?
Im new to the game. Does that happens often with other bikes? I'm a bit bumped at the moment.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
And fz1 and mt10 and zx6 and zx10 and r1.... on and on and on. Such is life with most modern performance efi bikes and epa regs

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry for all the mistakes, I don't have a english keyboard grid on my iPhone, it's a pain in the ass to write English 😄
But thanks for your reply.

·
Rider
876 Posts
This is interesting...makes you wonder if this is a rogue dealership issue or under tacit approval by the corporate office...

·
Rider
876 Posts
Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does that happens often with other bikes?
When I bought my brand new Buell XB12 back in 2008 in ran like crap. Stalling and misfires at any temperatures, really not driveable. It took Thunderbike about two months and hundreds km's of test riding to make it running good enough to give it back to me. And when I got it back after all the time, it ran as good as an untuned FTR fresh from the dealer today :cool:.

So don't worry too much. It could be worse:p:D.

PS: From where in Germany are you?

·
Rider
876 Posts
Rouge dealership, Polaris is not going to authorize defeating EPA regs.
That makes sense, but in the OP the individual said "dealers" which made me wonder how many are doing that.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
One could ask the original poster of that quote talking about his scout that was from a different thread.

I’ve never heard of a dealer installing this work around device. Might be a regional or single event thing.

And based on its cost. You might as well spend a little more and just buy a tuner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts