Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have to say, I'm amazed at the number of people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on a bike and don't even take the time to learn how to use the features they brag about! One of the first things I did was test the PIN unlock method in case I ever had to USE IT! To be fair, my dealer walked me through all the features when I picked up my bike. He put the master PIN in my manual and assisted in setting my personal PIN. Shortly after I got the bike home, (a couple days), I put the Fob out of range then tried to start it; it wouldn't start. Then I did the PIN method and it fired right up.

Losing your fob or having a dead battery isn't the time to try to figure out how to use it. Or realize you never set your own pin and the master is in the manual...locked in the trunk or saddlebag. Or, worse, on the shelf at home. To each his own. But, I find this mind boggling.

* hey @k17QVR I just slightly modified your title from “pointless rant” to “pointless rant / startup code” so people would have some idea of the thread topic. // Hink

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
I'll add some additional advice ... the personal Rider PIN can be erased when the bike's firmware is updated by the dealer. A good tech will re-install it, but often it is forgotten and owners think they can use it - until they find out it isn't there. I store my Master PIN in my phone as a note under my dealer's phone number; that way I always have the Master PIN available just in case the Rider PIN doesn't work. The Master PIN is permanently hard-coded into the bike's VCM and can't be erased/changed.

·
Silver member
5,042 Posts
I do a similar thing. I have the master written on my insurance card in my wallet for reference just in case. And I carry my wallet in my front pocket at all times. Keeps my ass from getting bruised. :cool:

Reactions: jayred1
1 - 3 of 3 Posts