Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1926 Indian scout and the horn is driving me crazy :) I have tested all wires have a good head light and tail light However the horn is weak and I have cleaned all ground connections I even bought another 6 volt horn thinking the winding was bad. Horn works good with wire straight form battery works weak or not at all on bike. any thoughts???? Also can I wire it straight from battery and skip the amp meter??

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,047 Posts
Also can I wire it straight from battery and skip the amp meter??
Sure, why not? Sounds, like you've got a high resistance connection somewhere in the present wiring set up. There are two typical ways to wire a horn; power through the horn with the horn button supplying ground, or, the horn grounded with the button supplying voltage. A high resistance anywhere in the system could cause problems; if the horn works ok when wired direct then do it that way.
--- Randall

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the horn is insulated from the ground, the horn button is the ground. It sounds like the horn button is the weak point, clean as best as you can. Now a days they use relays on the horn. It could be a bad relay if there is one. Hope this we'll help. Good Luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Another option is to have the horn button control a relay with it switching a direct feed from the battery. This pretty much gives you the maximum sound output on any bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts