Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!
I am looking for a helmet that has Bluetooth system. I am using ear buds to listen to audio books. This helps me avoid ambient noise. Also, can you guys help me to know how to clean them? I don't want to wear them and not was them.
I just need some quick info, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use a Sena 10S with the supplied speakers and am happy with it. It has an audio out jack if you want to run earbuds. It can’t send Bluetooth audio, only receive.

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I have used Sena in an HJC (modular), Shoei Neotec 1 (modular, 1st gen) and now in the LS2 (modular). The HJC and Shoei used the stick on mounting option. The LS2 uses the Sena unit made for it - Linkin.

Both the HJC and Shoei work OK. I had the most compliments on the HJC from people who called me and could not believe I was riding a motorcycle. The Shoei helmet (1st gen) is too hot for Texas summers. The LS2 Valiant is the most comfortable of the three but the Sena Linkin unit stinks! As soon as I get time, it will go away and be replaced by one of the older take-offs.
On the other hand, my wife is using a Bell Mag-9 open face with the Sena insert -- works like a charm except when she drops the mic into the wind-stream, or raises the shield. Then all I hear is the rattle of wind. Be aware there is a specific model Sena for this helmet.

Or, you can pipe the audio through the bikes speakers.

As an avid Audible fan, I will say the experience is dampened by both background noise and a split in concentration. I can listen to a book in the truck without any distraction. Not so on the bike. I think there is a major difference in how your brain processes music vs spoken words.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
728 Posts
are you asking for a helmet with BUILT IN bluetooth

or a helmet that works well with an add-on unit?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought my bike last year. My riding buddies previously owned sena systems. If you ride solo they are probably all very similar. If you ride in groups, that's where they differentiate. Recently we all change to the cardo packtalk bold. They are awesome for pairing up. Easy to do and best part is you only have to do it once. Then anytime you get in range of previously riden with buddies it automatically reconnects. If you play music it fades out to allow conversation then when the conversation goes idle... the volume picks backup. They all threw their sena systems in the trash. I guess that is why the cardos have not come down in price and the senas are going on sale. Good luck, hope you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tried the Sena 10s first and didn't like them at all. Difficult to connect and the dealership even had a hard time syncing with my iPhone. I ended up returning them and we went with the Cards Packtalk Bold JBL... man am I glad we switched. They have worked flawlessly! Voice activated, so if you are listening to music and talk, or another person talks, they music quiets down and you hear the clearly. No switching, no thinking, just works. Couldn't be happier with them and highly recommend.

·
Rider
1,020 Posts
I just bought the Sena Calvary helmet a couple months ago. I also have Sena 20 EVO on my regular helmet.

I am quite amazed at the sound on the Sena Calvary. Even better than my Sena 20.

--
Gordon

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I went with an LS2 Valiant and cardo packtalk bold. I am very happy with the cardo unit, and like the idea that I can just move it to another helmet if I get one. Honestly, the sound quality is much better than I would have expected.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Make sure that the unit you select can charge while in use. Having a replaceable battery (not daily, but ever) is also a helpful feature, though I'm not sure if any actually have that. Planned obsolescence and all...

·
Registered
210 Posts
My nephews first helmet was the LS2. After he tried my HJC IS 2 max. He liked it much better. Said it is quite, less wind noise. The cardo units fit well in each. Just additional information from anothers experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would even prefer to take a regular helmet, and then add something like Sena 30K Bluetooth headset. It's pretty awesome headset. I've checked and looked for dozens of websites, but the only place I found useful article with all the information about this headset was this guide where author explained everything, with pros and cons about headset.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bought the Wife a Sena Savage helmet... great for the 'warm weather'. Just picked her up a Sena EVO momentum helmet for the 'colder weather' - (she rides a Bobber without any sort of wind protection) and again; great helmet! Everything is already built into the helmet so if you add the price of a new helmet without a BT system and then price out a BT System to install into the helmet it actually ends up being cheaper + no installation needed and no huge assed boom mic sticking in your face.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tried the Sena 10S originally, but just wasn't good enough. Returned it and got the Cardo Packtalk Bold with JBL speakers. Love them! They just work. Easy to sync to others, and to my iPhone. Love the VOX as I can both listen to music and talk at the same time. They work for us!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I went cheap and got Lexin units for the wife and I. They're pretty good, but definitely have some drawbacks in terms of clarity sometimes. I plan to upgrade to Cardo soon.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the Shoei GT Air 2 that has the sena built in. I only use it for phone calls, the music and navigation goes through the bike's speakers. The phone calls are crystal clear and my visor is always up. Noone believes that I'm on my bike at freeway speeds.

Phil

·
Registered
210 Posts
The noise cancellation on the cards are quite amazing. Not to mention the radio/or blue tooth from your phone is so much clearer due to not having to blast over the wind noise. Definately better sound especially at hey speeds.

·
Rider
499 Posts
Wife and I have Sena 10S. Both mounted easily to our helmets (Shoei Rf-1200 mine, HJC Modular wife) They have worked flawless for a few years now. A few of my riding buddies have Sena's and they connect great. A friend wanted to be different and bought a Cardo Packtalk and all of us Sena owners had hell connecting with him. I think either brand is good. But, if you ride with others with comm's, just try to get the same brand. If you ride in big groups with multiple riders using comm's, then be sure to get a set with "Mesh" technology (both brands have them). No brand will give you the sound quality of earbuds. I use earplugs and I can hear my 10S just fine in my Shoei. I use mine for listening to music, navigation when sync'ed to my phone, phone calls, listen to and verbally reply to texts, listening to weather reports, communicating to the wife when she's a passenger, and communicating with other riders.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bought a Cardo Packtalk Bold JBL for my Icon Airmada. Works flawlessly, and all of my riding friends use it too. That DMZ feature is superb. And when I ride alone, I listen to my pandora locked on in country music or my sales audio books.

I recently upgraded my helmet to an Icon Airform and they come with the speaker channels built in, no zero pressure on my ears. If you go the non built in route, I recommend helmets with the speaker built in channels.

Let us know which route you went with OP.

Reactions: JGriff63
1 - 19 of 19 Posts