Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. I recently bought
an old Indian Hill Climb bike and I have no idea about anything on it. What year it is. What model? I do know it was sitting in a barn for 60 years. However the motor still free. And it has the girder front end. But to my eyes it's been modified to do hill climbs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Chief cases and top end, from mag location and size of heads motor looks 40's or later. hard to tell on the frame. but being rigid be would around '38 ish or earlier. Could be a 38 to 40's range if fram, check engine number, chance that its orginal frame if in 38 -40 range.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just noticed front motor mount done like scout, frame tubes look big for a scout but that could just an effect of the picture. And single down tube was a Scout frame trate, so maybe a Chief motor fit into a Scout frame, but back axel mounts dont look scout, need some pics to figure this mix. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the pictures aren't very good. I'm going to take better pictures today when I get to the shop. Is there value in this? And would it be more for a hill climb bike or is the value just in The pre-war Indian

·
Super Moderator
8,372 Posts
google

Indian motor works @indianmotorworks.com

It appears that their website is down (massive snowstorm) (Bayfield CO) but you can give ‘em a call (maybe get an e-mail address to ship the photos to). These guys know more about vintage Indian motos than anybody else around IMHO — an entire shop filled with classic Indians and about half a dozen being worked on at any given time.

·
Registered
770 Posts
google

Indian motor works @indianmotorworks.com

It appears that their website is down (massive snowstorm) (Bayfield CO) but you can give ‘em a call (maybe get an e-mail address to ship the photos to). These guys know more about vintage Indian motos than anybody else around IMHO — an entire shop filled with classic Indians and about half a dozen being worked on at any given time.
Them as well as Dave "Huggy Bear" Hanson of 'The Shop' in Ventura, Ca. His shop is a working garage and Indian museum and he's been in a couple documentaries. Good friend.

·
Registered
409 Posts
See a lot of the old hill climbers hung in the rafters of shop for the novality of having an old bike as is.
F or what you got not practical to restore as a vintage Indian,
Better suited to restore as a bobber/chout and just have tire burning hard core toy!
Mag is nice for ignition but would take some doing to get a generator in there to power lights for the street.
Better to keep orginal as a novality and see if can get running for the fun of it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For what it's worth, I'll throw my 2 bits in:
If it were mine, I would clean it up and replace what was needed and present it just as it is.
It showcases a time in our history when men built what was required out of what was available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for the responses. I emailed. Both gentlemen the one in Colorado and the one I believe in California. I'm waiting for a response back. I do think. I would like to just make a bobber. Roadworthy motorcycle trying to keep the age and the patina as it is. As soon as I hear back from either one, I will. Keep everybody updated as to what I find out and what the game plan is. Thanks again, Andrew.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is what the guy from Indian motor works sad "

hello Andrew.....looks to be a hodgepodge of parts w/the Indian hillclimber ie: it is a 45 cu in powerplant, looks like a '37-'39 frame with a junior scout front end, looks to be an early '40's lower end and primary....not much idea of value other than the parts alone might be worth 3,000.00 and the bike as a wall hanger....if you found the right person might be worth 5-6k. The other machine I would not have a clue as well as no idea on the frame. best of luck, Jeff Grigsby"

• I'm going to be honest I really like the fact that it's a bunch of mismatched parts and I'm hoping the guys at Indian Motor Works we'll get it in gun sound running condition so I can pretty much ride it as is . I'm not sure why this text got smaller I apologize for that but don't know how to fix it. Thanks again everybody for all your help really appreciate the advice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts