Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***Never use super glue to tack down your decals!!

My bike arrived last night. Today I started working on paint correction and sealing it. I noticed the decal was starting to lift so I figured I'd remove them, which would make paint correction easier anyway.

Had a real struggle with the second side. Then I saw why 馃が. Why on earth would someone do this??
Plate Dishware Surfboard Platter Tableware

Had no idea how to tackle this without pulling the paint off. Adhesive remover, denim pad, soaking it with hand lotion/dishsoap mixture.

Paper Paper product

With lots of back and forth and picking as carefully as possible with my fingernails, I got it down to this.

Surfboard

Surfboard Font Longboard Skateboard

At this point, it is what it is. I don't want to take off the paint. So I'll be ordering new decals and it'll be covered up. If anyone has any experience getting super glue off paint, I'm all ears!!

Polished and sealed!
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Chopper Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper

Premium Member
The standard solution is nail polish remover/acetone - but I'd be fairly nervous about taking the paint off as well.
Perhaps with a test spot... try it first on someone else's bike! :D

Rider
Yes, the only thing that I've ever heard of is nail polish remover.

Second the idea of testing on someone else's bike ! ! !

BD

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions! I considered acetone as well, but... 馃槺. Only other bike is my husband's Victory and I don't think he'd take too kindly to that! Hahhaha!

I really did get the majority of it off and I don't think it'll interfere when I put the badges back on.

P. S. Taped the area and tried the acetone. It wasn't wanting to budge and I'm too afraid to mess with it anymore. Oh well...

Rider
Try Goo-Gone, it is an adhesive remover that usually doesn't hurt the paint....I think I got mine at Wally World...

Rider
Ya I used 3M adhesive remover which is even better. That wasn't wanting to take it off.
Damn, could try naptha (lighter fluid) but not sure about the paint...Naptha evaporates real fast, so a lightly dampened
cloth may work...Try it on something that isn't visible...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, could try naptha (lighter fluid) but not sure about the paint...Naptha evaporates real fast, so a lightly dampened
cloth may work...Try it on something that isn't visible...
I went ahead and put the badges back on over the top. I had the glue removed down to just some hard residue spots. I felt I was working on borrowed time with all the chemicals, etc.

It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. The badges needed to go back anyway just because of how the Indian was painted. Looked like it was missing something otherwise.

Funny thing is I went to order new badges and my local dealer can't find them anywhere! Neither could my on-line search! I just reused the old ones and put new tape under it.

Silver member
Why would Eric the Painter use super glue on the badge. Makes no sense to me...

Reactions: Kost

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would Eric the Painter use super glue on the badge. Makes no sense to me...
LOL... I'm sure it wasn't Eric. I'm sure it was the previous owner. It's an '18. The decals were lifting on both sides. But I think the PO just tacked the decal on the left side to keep it from coming off.

Registered
Don't overreact to the use of acetone, just wiping down the paint won't hurt the paint. I use it to remove wax before applying decals or emblems. Acetone on a rag rubbed on the glue would work it off with little risk to your paint. Reapply wax after the fact

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't overreact to the use of acetone, just wiping down the paint won't hurt the paint. I use it to remove wax before applying decals or emblems. Acetone on a rag rubbed on the glue would work it off with little risk to your paint. Reapply wax after the fact
I did try acetone on a Q-tip but it just didn't seem to want to budge. But I also didn't try too hard with it for fear of damaging the paint.
I actually contacted a well known detailer (Larry with Ammo NYC) and he told me to try Goof Off and a plastic razor blade. I ordered the razor so I'll be tackling that as soon as I get my new decals in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts