Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, maybe I`m just old school. I ordered a chrome oil cooler cover from Kuryakin. Cost 59.00 plus tax. When it came it weighed almost 2oz and was pure plastic. Called my dealer, and the one from Indian is also plastic. Now I may be an old man and I know things have changed, but to pay that kind of money for fifty cents worth of material seems a bit on the high side, even if it does say "motorcycle part" on the package. Now that the rant is over, I won`t be dressing my bike up quite so much.

·
Founding member
507 Posts
That's why I didn't buy either one. They look nice but, I'm not paying that much for plastic. Until more vendors start coming out with accessories for the new Indian bikes I think the prices will stay high and the choices slim with long wait times.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to be clear, this is the first time I have been unhappy with Kuryakyn. The chrome has always been good and the parts do as advertised. I guess this is why I was so surprised. Oh well!!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Just to be clear, this is the first time I have been unhappy with Kuryakyn. The chrome has always been good and the parts do as advertised. I guess this is why I was so surprised. Oh well!!
Can you send it back with a note about your disappointment? Maybe they will consider lowering the price on their plastic parts or offer metal parts as you expected to receive?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Both Indian and Harley use lots (too much)of chromed plastic trim parts. They look nice new, but tend to flake and break down after a couple of years. Be extra careful when cleaning the plastic !

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Yeah, while we are talking about chrome plated plastic, let me give y'all a heads up on something.

The power button on the dash of my Vintage has a chrome plated plastic bezel around it.
I detailed my bike with some spray cleaner/wax to find chrome flaking off this bezel the next morning.

I took it in and Indian honored my warranty claim by replacing the bezel with a new one.

Now I'm very careful not to spritz and jizz on the dash. I'll spray the rag and apply it that way.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I too find the Kuryakin stuff outrageously priced for a piece of plastic. I liked the looks of a few of the items but a huge disappointment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the brave new world of the "bottom line rules". It might change if we don't encourage them by buying or return the crap they send us. Good luck.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah, while we are talking about chrome plated plastic, let me give y'all a heads up on something.

The power button on the dash of my Vintage has a chrome plated plastic bezel around it.
I detailed my bike with some spray cleaner/wax to find chrome flaking off this bezel the next morning.

I took it in and Indian honored my warranty claim by replacing the bezel with a new one.

Now I'm very careful not to spritz and jizz on the dash. I'll spray the rag and apply it that way.
Hey BD, yeah, the same thing happened to the bezel around my power button. The dealer ordered a new one and replaced it under warranty. He said they had to replace the whole power button because the bezel and power button were one piece. My turn signal switch also went bad recently. It would signal left or right OK but it would not shut off manually by pressing in on the switch. The Dealer called me today and told me Indian had approved the replacement. The Dealer also told me my black saddlebags and tank bib were in and they expected the seat later this week.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Big Daddy, I had to replace the chrome around my power button. Noticed it flaking on my 2015 Chieftain the first night I had it. The dealer ordered me a new one and after 3 weeks of waiting my salesman swapped mine with another 2015 Chieftain. Pretty sad! Makes me wonder how long the new one will last!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The chrome parts on the Indian that need to be metal are indeed made of metal. I bought the saddlebag rails for the Roadmaster and they are made of strong metal to protect the bag if needed to be protected. The parts that are for looks only are chrome plated plastic. If you have a new automobile look it over and you will find the same thing. Polaris has done a good job in my estimation in keeping down the weight of the bike with adequate protection where needed. Can you imagine the weight of that bike if all chrome parts that you see were made of weighty metal?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That may be true about the metal and plastic for weight etc. But they are charging top dollar for plastic parts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Everything I have bought from kuryaksuckin I ended up regretting! National Chrome will have fender tips sooner or later but they are only marginally better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts