Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer recently asked me how to make his grips fatter than just the leather grips we sell. (LINK: https://www.indianaftermarket.com/grips-leather.html Tape is the first idea to come to mind but I suspect it might shift over time and create lumps or ridges. So I thought of this idea: Apply a layer of plasti-dip or flex seal to the stock grip. When it dries install the leather grips. Has anyone tried something like this? Or does anyone think it is a bad idea? By the way fatter grips do seem to cut down on hand fatigue.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I like the the idea of sizing them to fit over the grip puppies. Or sell them as a pair.

Do they fit over the OEM oversize grips? Which actually aren’t really oversized, but merely not as tiny as stock.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The grip puppies seem too soft for my taste. But I can adjust the size of my grips. Just order and let me know by email what the diameter of your grip is if not stock.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd be curious to hear someone's experience with this combo. Wondering if it would interfere with clutch/brake lever operation at all....

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
Im curious about too much thickness interfering with clutch travel / adjustment?

Yes it would. Since the clutch adjustment is so small you wouldn't be able to pull the clutch all the way in. (the clutch would not disengaged as much giving you harder shifts and more difficulty fining neutral) A way around it is to install the Barnett Clutch shaft arm, which pulls the plates further apart when disengaging the clutch.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Yes it would. Since the clutch adjustment is so small you wouldn't be able to pull the clutch all the way in. (the clutch would not disengaged as much giving you harder shifts and more difficulty fining neutral) A way around it is to install the Barnett Clutch shaft arm, which pulls the plates further apart when disengaging the clutch.
For Fatter Grips???
well may still be cheaper than goin Fatter Tire... but about as Much Use...IMO

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
For Fatter Grips???
well may still be cheaper than goin Fatter Tire... but about as Much Use...IMO
Yep, even Indian makes note on the leather covers and recommend that when the are laced they face downward as to avoid interfering with the clutch lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts